E4C or ER6i
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

adam_eu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
it's my first post so it would be nice to say "hello to everybody"
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm little tired of my um1. Please help me decide which iem should I buy next.
I was thinking of E4c or ER6i but i have no idea which one is better.
I know it isn't a step forward in SQ, but i need cash to buy my home setup so for now it must be ok.
I think that perfect solution for me would be Phonak PFE but they're too expensive for now.

Preferences: bright, detailed sound, not too bassy
My budget: 100$
Music: jazz, electronic, ambient, rock, triphop
DAP: iPhone 3G
AMP: none

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 13
I like both but for your musical tastes the er6i wouldn't be as enjoyable as the e4c. Neither is overly bassy but the er6i for those genres always leaves me wanting more bass.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by evu325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like both but for your musical tastes the er6i wouldn't be as enjoyable as the e4c. Neither is overly bassy but the er6i for those genres always leaves me wanting more bass.

I agree. er6i would lead you wanting more bass.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 13
If these are the choices, go with the E4c. It still is a very competitive IEM.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for all replies.
Most of people suggest to take E4.
Two more questions.
Are they less detailed than ER6i?
What about E4s cord quality? I heard that it can simply break, even when You keep iems in the case.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 13
The E4s are more warm/veiled sounding than the ER6is and definitely not as clear. If the cords on the E4s are anything like the ones on the E2Cs then there's a pretty good chance they'll break within a year and a half. I bought the E4s for my brother so hopefully they're better made but then again Shures have a reputation for cable problems which I now realize AFTER buying a pair of SE530s =(. I have owned SE210s (don't buy these) for 2 years though and they are still in excellent condition despite less-than-pampered treatment and the cords are holding up extremely well, so hopefully you will have the same kind of luck!

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Shures don't tend to have the sparkle of Etys, they are known more for their midrange (which has become a reference in some cases). Whether that is warmer or not depends on the comparison. I continue to go back to my E4cs and remain convinced that they are very well designed, with some reduction in treble compared to Etys, but more bass (but again not as much bass as newer IEMs). Still they are a very good IEM.

The cord on the E4c (SCL4) is very good, not as susceptible to the issues on the E2 and 530. It is very thick from the jack to the y-connector, then thins down to connect to the earpiece. The strain relief on the earpiece is not the best, but I have had only one issue that Shure managed under warranty. These E4cs have about 300K air miles on them and still going strong.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 13
I would have to 2nd the suggestion for the head direct re2's. Best value & compromise of the 2 choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back