e4c + iaudio
Jul 27, 2005 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

edho

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am a new comer.

I am thinking of getting iaudio u2/5/g3 and a pair of e4c.
Is it a good choice?

Or please give me another suggestions.
I would like to have an earphone with nice bass (no need too much but quantity should be good, actually I have used mx450 before but not satify with the mid and high, I would like to find an earphone with more and better bass than that)
I have also used cm5 before, I think mid and high is better than mx450 but with very little bass.(I hope to get one with good mid and high)
So which earphone is suitable for me?
thanks.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 8
iAudio X5 + E4/C is a match made in heaven.

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by edho
Hi everyone, I am a new comer.

I am thinking of getting iaudio u2/5/g3 and a pair of e4c.
Is it a good choice?

Oh man, what are the odds...I was going to post a thread about my impressions of the E4 + iAudio 5 but since I've sent the E4s back, I'll just post in this thread.

First let me say that I liked the E4s a lot. They were my first set of Shure IEMs and I found that I really like the Shure midrange. So why did I send them back? Although the E4 was fairly balanced across the entire spectrum, they just didn't have quite enough bass for me. The bass was there, just not as up front as impactful as the dual-driver canalphones available. I decided that my preference would be to trade a bit of treble for some extra bass, so I ended up ordering the UM2s again.

However...I must say that the iAudio 5's EQ, along with the Bass Enhancer feature, greatly affected the sound of the E4s. By using a combination of the above, I was able to get huge amounts of bass out of the E4!
eek.gif
I doubt it was on the same level as the bass of the Super.Fi 5 Pros, but it was easily as much or more than the level of bass from the UM2s with a flat EQ. The best part was, using the Bass Enhancer did not negatively affect the sound--there was no added distortion, just tons more clean bass. Of course it wasn't as tight as the bass of the E4 with a flat EQ, but it wasn't overly boomy either. I just didn't think the E4s were capable of putting out bass like that, because I tried them with my E-MU 0404/SM v.3 along with my Audigy 2 and neither of those combos were able to deliver anywhere near the amount of bass as the iAudio 5 was. So for me, iAudio + E4 = bliss. Let me restate that the E4 sounds great without EQ because of its balance, but I craved a bassier/more fun sound when using the portable device.

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with another set of E4/Cs again, though. I liked them a lot! I'm currently trying to decide between the E2/E3/E4 as my backup set of canalphones.

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Oh man, what are the odds...I was going to post a thread about my impressions of the E4 + iAudio 5 but since I've sent the E4s back, I'll just post in this thread.

First let me say that I liked the E4s a lot. They were my first set of Shure IEMs and I found that I really like the Shure midrange. So why did I send them back? Although the E4 was fairly balanced across the entire spectrum, they just didn't have quite enough bass for me. The bass was there, just not as up front as impactful as the dual-driver canalphones available. I decided that my preference would be to trade a bit of treble for some extra bass, so I ended up ordering the UM2s again.

However...I must say that the iAudio 5's EQ, along with the Bass Enhancer feature, greatly affected the sound of the E4s. By using a combination of the above, I was able to get huge amounts of bass out of the E4!
eek.gif
I doubt it was on the same level as the bass of the Super.Fi 5 Pros, but it was easily as much or more than the level of bass from the UM2s with a flat EQ. The best part was, using the Bass Enhancer did not negatively affect the sound--there was no added distortion, just tons more clean bass. Of course it wasn't as tight as the bass of the E4 with a flat EQ, but it wasn't overly boomy either. I just didn't think the E4s were capable of putting out bass like that, because I tried them with my E-MU 0404/SM v.3 along with my Audigy 2 and neither of those combos were able to deliver anywhere near the amount of bass as the iAudio 5 was. So for me, iAudio + E4 = bliss. Let me restate that the E4 sounds great without EQ because of its balance, but I craved a bassier/more fun sound when using the portable device.

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with another set of E4/Cs again, though. I liked them a lot! I'm currently trying to decide between the E2/E3/E4 as my backup set of canalphones.

Thanks for your sharing.
I am now thinking of getting e4c/e3c/super.fi 5 pro
which one is suitable for me?

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for your sharing.
I am now thinking of getting e4c/e3c/super.fi 5 pro
which one is suitable for me?

To help us to advise you better you should tell what type of music you're listening to most, more about your sound preferences and what's your typical portable usage patterns (working out, commuting, just walking, etc. ). I found that IEMs are flawed beasts, none is possibly ideal in all respects and there's always seems to be some complex balance between technical sonic qualities, sound signature, comfort and usability for particular environments. And, yes, please search this forum - there're were numerous recent threads pitting E4 against 5pors and discussing them separately.

Anyway I have both E4c and 5pros and here's my take. Note that I have iPod mini that doesn't have configurable EQ (only presets) and has some deficiency in bass. The other note is that I use IEMs just for working out at the gym and for commute on a noisy train and I listen mostly to fast rock in these environments.

With all that my personal preference are clearly 5pros despite them being technically (neutrality, balance, detail, clarity) somewhat inferior to E4 but still much better than E3 and ER-6i (both of which I had/auditioned). Sonically 5pro's strong points are much more prominent than E4 soundstage and bass. They have that spacious, dark, big bold sound (as opposed to E4 clean, cold, flat and analytical) that to me seems very musical and engaging despite recessed highs and some veiled detail.

Also having used both at the gym I found 5pros to be much more comfortable than Shures thanks to lighter and shorter replaceable cords with memory feature and, most importantly, because their ear tips are bigger and designed to rest against ear canal opening and not to go deep inside like Etys and Shures. All that without noticeable loss of isolation or at the expense of secure fit. 5pros are also more sensitive than E4 but both can be easily driven by a portable without a need for an amp. On the downside 5pros are bigger than E4, stick more out of the ears (don't even think about going to bed wearing these), cost more and unlike for much more popular Shures and Etys, there're almost no 3rd party online merchants selling replacement foam tips and other stuff.

Both E4 and 5pros are excellent and are very different. Both Shure and UE offer 2 year warranties and, I think, 30 day return policies. No matter what we say here your ears and wallet will be final judges.

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by albau
To help us to advise you better you should tell what type of music you're listening to most, more about your sound preferences and what's your typical portable usage patterns (working out, commuting, just walking, etc. ). I found that IEMs are flawed beasts, none is possibly ideal in all respects and there's always seems to be some complex balance between technical sonic qualities, sound signature, comfort and usability for particular environments. And, yes, please search this forum - there're were numerous recent threads pitting E4 against 5pors and discussing them separately.

Anyway I have both E4c and 5pros and here's my take. Note that I have iPod mini that doesn't have configurable EQ (only presets) and has some deficiency in bass. The other note is that I use IEMs just for working out at the gym and for commute on a noisy train and I listen mostly to fast rock in these environments.

With all that my personal preference are clearly 5pros despite them being technically (neutrality, balance, detail, clarity) somewhat inferior to E4 but still much better than E3 and ER-6i (both of which I had/auditioned). Sonically 5pro's strong points are much more prominent than E4 soundstage and bass. They have that spacious, dark, big bold sound (as opposed to E4 clean, cold, flat and analytical) that to me seems very musical and engaging despite recessed highs and some veiled detail.

Also having used both at the gym I found 5pros to be much more comfortable than Shures thanks to lighter and shorter replaceable cords with memory feature and, most importantly, because their ear tips are bigger and designed to rest against ear canal opening and not to go deep inside like Etys and Shures. All that without noticeable loss of isolation or at the expense of secure fit. 5pros are also more sensitive than E4 but both can be easily driven by a portable without a need for an amp. On the downside 5pros are bigger than E4, stick more out of the ears (don't even think about going to bed wearing these), cost more and unlike for much more popular Shures and Etys, there're almost no 3rd party online merchants selling replacement foam tips and other stuff.

Both E4 and 5pros are excellent and are very different. Both Shure and UE offer 2 year warranties and, I think, 30 day return policies. No matter what we say here your ears and wallet will be final judges.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Mostly, I hear rock and pop and sometimes classical. I am quite interested with the ue5pro, it seems that it is suitable for me.

Jul 28, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
Mostly, I hear rock and pop and sometimes classical. I am quite interested with the ue5pro, it seems that it is suitable for me.

Hi edho ! That's great you've got great review and suggestons here
icon10.gif

Just want to say don't mix up ue5pro with super.fi 5Pro, while the former is a custom-fit one selling at US$700
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back