E4c cord is breaking. need help
Dec 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 34
I've been through 3 pairs of e3c and currently using a 2 year old pair of e4 with no experience of this wire disintegration issue ala the Sony ex71. I don't even wipe down the wires daily. First time I've heard of this issue with Shures.

I'd recommend sending them into Shure for a replacement (you could ask them to send back the se310 model instead for a small fee I think). And keep the tips, don't send them back
wink.gif

My only problem with the e4 is the rubber housing part where the wire enters has slowly split.

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 34
Why is it that all of my Shure doubts and fears are sprouting out only now when I've bought my e4?
frown.gif
I've been hounding fora and have been reading reviews for quite a while now, hoping that this e4 would be a very educated purchase. I'm currently still troubleshooting my sound problems (they almost don't sound any better than my e2's, they both produce the same amount of crackling due to the bass, I don't know if that's because of low music quality (is 192kbps low?), etc. and I'm hoping it is that)

Wrrrrryyyyyyyyyy?!? I bought my e4's over amazon.com and I'm not sure now if I have warranty, it turns out I bought it off another vendor via amazon. Makes me sad already. And when I go back home to Manila it's going to really suck, the nearest service center is Hong Kong. ;/

Should I just use my e4's now as a noose?

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 34
The heat shrink idea will add stiffness to the wire and is only recommended for the straightaways.

U folks haven't read the thread about liquid plastic? Of course not gonna fix if cable already broke, just a preventive idea.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #20 of 34
Well, I'm thinking VERY audaciously hoping and wishing that my pair (which is actually an SCL-4, I just realized), since it's a remarketed series is not just remarketed but also re-'corded'. Am I hoping for too much?

Cyberspyder: About the selling suggestion, well not many people are willing to pay so much for a pair of earphones in the Philippines. Whenever I tell people at school about my pair and tell them how much it is, they always react holy ****, What ? ? ? ? and go as far as calling me a dumbass for spending for something as petty as earphones. 3rd world country, remember :p

Jsmithepa: It's a very new pair (<2 weeks) and the way I wear it now is like normal earphones so heatshrink might work but I don't know how to get the drivers through (and I don't know if heatshrink will give me rashes, etc.) :p I'm also considering very thin sticky plastic to cover it just to keep it from getting oiled.
biggrin.gif

Oh and I'll look up that liquid plastic thread, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it that all of my Shure doubts and fears are sprouting out only now when I've bought my e4?
frown.gif
I've been hounding fora and have been reading reviews for quite a while now, hoping that this e4 would be a very educated purchase. I'm currently still troubleshooting my sound problems (they almost don't sound any better than my e2's, they both produce the same amount of crackling due to the bass, I don't know if that's because of low music quality (is 192kbps low?), etc. and I'm hoping it is that)

Wrrrrryyyyyyyyyy?!? I bought my e4's over amazon.com and I'm not sure now if I have warranty, it turns out I bought it off another vendor via amazon. Makes me sad already. And when I go back home to Manila it's going to really suck, the nearest service center is Hong Kong. ;/

Should I just use my e4's now as a noose?

It doesn't matter if you bought them online. As long as you have proof of purchase (Shure UK don't even ask most of the time) you can have them fixed/replaced.

Your crackling issue may be down to low bit rates as you've mentioned, eq settings, loose connections somewhere (inside the earphones probably), poorly recorded music or something else.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by niranhopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi.. i have received SCL4-K as the replacement for my E4C. i hope the sound quality is the same.

is it advisable not to twist the cord around the ear to prolong the cord's life?

Shure recommends looping the wire around your ear, so you have to do it that way. The E4C's only stay in like that.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 34
I've found a way to coat the cord where it loops. I used heat-shrink wiring I bought from Fry's. I bought a 1/4inch diameter cord, hoping my drivers would go through it. It was too small so I just played with the heat shrink: heating it and pulling it. Then I realized I could heat it and pull it to make it small and have a diameter of like, 3-4mm. So I did that, made a lateral incision down the heat-shrink and used it to wrap around my SCL-4's cord where it curls. The heatshrink now adheres to the curl around my ear (it just took the shape), prevents the actual cord from making contact with my skin, and adds some structural support. No skin lesions or rashes or whatever, so far so good!

(I think there are other kinds of wiring/coating you could do this with.)

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #25 of 34
Damn.. I just bought a 1y old pair of shure e4c from a member here; the warranty isn't transferable.

He bought it off from Headroom, will it possible to honor the warranty in the next year ? (He's from USA, I'm from Canada)

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn.. I just bought a 1y old pair of shure e4c from a member here; the warranty isn't transferable.

He bought it off from Headroom, will it possible to honor the warranty in the next year ? (He's from USA, I'm from Canada)

How's the wiring? Is it still soft and supple? There's a repair service for out of warranty Shure products, it's listed in the website. It costs around 70USD I think regardless of model or cost...

If I were you, I'd do what I did right away. I only see good things out of doing it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and another solution I thought of was not to use it too much. I just got my SR60's and use them when I'm home. SCL4's only for when I'm out and about.

Hope this helps!
Sandino

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 34
I'm having this problem with my e3c's. They are out of warranty by at least a year now so I doubt Shure will help me out for free and the flat fee service is $79. May as well buy new ones. How hard would it be to cut and re-solder my old ones? I'd like some new ones as well, but I'd like to be able to keep the old ones around for working out, etc. I've noticed that the chord doesn't seem to be pure copper inside, but seems to be copper wrapped around something else. Anyone have any advice (or might be able to recommend someone in the Dallas-Fort Worth area or Houston area that might be able to do this for a reasonable fee--$20 or so)?

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found a way to coat the cord where it loops. I used heat-shrink wiring I bought from Fry's. I bought a 1/4inch diameter cord, hoping my drivers would go through it. It was too small so I just played with the heat shrink: heating it and pulling it. Then I realized I could heat it and pull it to make it small and have a diameter of like, 3-4mm. So I did that, made a lateral incision down the heat-shrink and used it to wrap around my SCL-4's cord where it curls. The heatshrink now adheres to the curl around my ear (it just took the shape), prevents the actual cord from making contact with my skin, and adds some structural support. No skin lesions or rashes or whatever, so far so good!

(I think there are other kinds of wiring/coating you could do this with.)

Hi, I had the same problem with my white E4c n im now with my second pair after i got a replacement. Saw this thread n I quickly check on my everyday use E4c and noticed the right side of the bending area of the cord started to have a little crack!!!

How do you manage to insert in the heat-shrink tube? the driver is so big to allow the tube to go through...

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by redaxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I had the same problem with my white E4c n im now with my second pair after i got a replacement. Saw this thread n I quickly check on my everyday use E4c and noticed the right side of the bending area of the cord started to have a little crack!!!

How do you manage to insert in the heat-shrink tube? the driver is so big to allow the tube to go through...

Yeah, I have the same question. By a "lateral" cut, I assume Sandino meant a longitudinal cut along the length of the heat shrink tubing -- but then I don't understand how you'd get the tubing to stay on the Shure wires.

There was a huge thread on the E500/530 cable breaking. According to a Shure rep, it is body oil that causes the problem, but apparently only with some users.

Shure changed the material in their cables, but I am skeptical as to whether the problem has really been solved. Even with phones made in the fall of last year there have been cables breaking.

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #30 of 34
Shure have offered the inferior SE310's to me and I am gutted. The 4c's were OK. But the cable broke. Now Shure are offering the 'same specification' SE310's as a replacement. What a rip off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back