E4c and friends: Brief impressions from my demo at the Shure HQ
Apr 29, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I feel that the eq is definitely making the difference. Lets face it, who actually enjoys the sound of their dap with the eq off all the time?

What's an eq?
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Clueless. Don't you think any review should be on full size seperates with original CD as the source? Good quality CD player, pre-amp & headphone amp? My Grados or Sennheisers don't sound their best from my iriver or other portables CD P etc...sounds far better on home based transport/DAC/hifi pre-amp. So I guess the RS-1's are pretty naff phones eh? And 650's sound rubbish too. And especially if the portable has bass problem <32ohm mmm?

See past the fanboyism.

Yeah I'm also downplaying iriver SQ/headphone amp too...only someone delusional will say otherwise.

I guess have to wait until someone uses these on seperates...get a more accurate review.

Thanks for the laugh. I don't know who is more clueless. Actually I do... it's you
tongue.gif

ogewo, thanks for your views.

Gloco, I think that it's all relative. If the entire Shure range was all you had to base a relative view on at that time, it stands to reason that the E2c would sound muddy and congested. In absolutes in terms of comparison with other phones I (and most probably ogewo) would mostly agree with you. I've spent the last couple of days refreshing my opinions of the E2c and it's also refreshing my opinion that these offer the best sound for the buck in the Shure range (I don't have the E4c yet). I wouldnt call them 'extended' but the tonal balance is not too far from some very well regarded phones, although with the (now seemingly customary?) Shure midrange boost.

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by acoustiphile
Equalizer

<cough>Was joking<cough>
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Lets face it, who actually enjoys the sound of their dap with the eq off all the time?

Ahem, I do!
What's an eq?
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #35 of 47
Your review was very useful. If anything, your review is more useful because it is more relative to how I am going to be using these phones. I find amped reviews not as relevant because I have no plans to be using these with an amp. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 47
Excellent review. Thanks. I really like this part:))
"Matt also mentioned that the big boss herself, Mrs. Shure, requested that her new iPod shuffle be paired with the E4c. I'm guessing she can afford the E5s, so this is a big endorsement for their new model."

Ha, ha, ha. Well if she can afford this huge glass building do you think she acn afford the E5's?

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 47
Or maybe it's a style decision
wink.gif
The E5's look like hearing aids.

I don't mind at all. In fact it's quite handy. it's good that people shout at me slowly and clearly as I don't have to take the phones off
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Gloco, I think that it's all relative. If the entire Shure range was all you had to base a relative view on at that time, it stands to reason that the E2c would sound muddy and congested. In absolutes in terms of comparison with other phones I (and most probably ogewo) would mostly agree with you. I've spent the last couple of days refreshing my opinions of the E2c and it's also refreshing my opinion that these offer the best sound for the buck in the Shure range (I don't have the E4c yet). I wouldnt call them 'extended' but the tonal balance is not too far from some very well regarded phones, although with the (now seemingly customary?) Shure midrange boost.

Gotta agree with you. I never consider myself a fanboy (except the Baby Orpheus
biggrin.gif
), but the e2's are a great canal phone for the bucks. These little suckers do something really well and that is they are very coherent and very comfy (thanks to the foamies) and do a decent job of blocking noise out. Eventually i'll upgrade, but i'm content with the e2's presently.

May 2, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #39 of 47
Hmmmm...i live a couple blocks away from the shure building, right there on touhy ave. Maybe I should try to set up an audition, could you detail how you set up an audition in the 1st place, i would like to walk on over there myself and try them out!

FYI, i would definitely bring my ipod and maybe a discman to audition - I don't think it's too practical or saying much if i were to bring the meridian and hr-2 along; in fact, i would say the review using the ipod is more applicable and makes more sense in its application vs. me bringing over my home rig.

Thank you for the review, once i get an audition I will be more than willing to post some impressions as well!

May 9, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
...although with the (now seemingly customary?) Shure midrange boost.

Is this possibly because Shure E-series does double-duty for consumer audiophiles (E3c) as well as for performers as personal monitors (E3)? That is if E3c/E3 and E4c/E4 are basically (?) the same.

I am assuming during live performance (or maybe even recording) you would like the mids hyped a bit to hear instruments and vocals better.

Then as a listener at home or on a portable it would be a snap to eq for a more balanced (or add the hype you prefer) experience.

Just guessing... anyway - my 1st post here. Hi Everybody !

May 9, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kylen
Is this possibly because Shure E-series does double-duty for consumer audiophiles (E3c) as well as for performers as personal monitors (E3)? That is if E3c/E3 and E4c/E4 are basically (?) the same.

I am assuming during live performance (or maybe even recording) you would like the mids hyped a bit to hear instruments and vocals better.

Then as a listener at home or on a portable it would be a snap to eq for a more balanced (or add the hype you prefer) experience.

Just guessing... anyway - my 1st post here. Hi Everybody !

Welcome to Head-Fi.

IMO, NOT having a midrange boost might make more sense for an industrial product because most stage uses can count on an EQ being available, and on the other hand the most successful consumer MP3 audio player's EQ sucks. That's why I don't quite understand it. What you say does make sense in theory though. The E3c has the most notable midrange boost out of the entire Shure range, and it's probably the main reason why many people say it's not as good as the Etys.

May 9, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #42 of 47
As an former touring & recording musician chappy (now retired from the Biz with a proper job) I can confirm that for Live applications a midrange boost is definitely preferable, either EQ'd in or as a natural characteristic of the monitoring setup.
I've mentioned this before in another thread, but the sonic sig of the E3Cs reminds me strongly of some of the gear I have used in the past.
Of course that forward mid also contributes to the high sensitivity of the E3Cs.

May 9, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #43 of 47
Welcome to empty-wallet-Fi

May 9, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #44 of 47
Thanks bangraman, allenf, and donaldekelly for the welcome and thoughts.

Out in the open air I try to use equipment and monitoring where I can take advantage of its' natural color and EQ without forcing it (excepting acoustic treaments). But with the quality of in-ear monitoring such as the E3 it looks like there's really no reason not to EQ (assuming a baseline quality and ability to reproduce the spectrum accurately) and create any flat, 'balanced' or hyped curve I like. Now that the E4/E4c is about to come out well I'm really thinking about those.

From lurking about for a few days it looks like EQing your in-ear monitors is standard fare so it's no big deal for you guys. I'm new to the in-ear monitoring so you'll have to pardon me. It will be interesting working in an environment where there's no combing, mode induced nulls and peaks, or need for bass traps!

Anyway - not trying to go too far OT - just trying to get more specs (like everyone else) and listener experiences with the E4. Thanx
600smile.gif

May 9, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #45 of 47
Anyone seen any comparisons between the E4c and the new UE5 universal fit?

I guess at least one of them will have to be released first before we get comparisons. Maybe after 5-16-05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back