E4c and friends: Brief impressions from my demo at the Shure HQ
Apr 27, 2005 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

ogewo

100+ Head-Fier
Today I had the unique opportunity to demo the complete line of Shure earphones at their headquarters in Niles, Illinois. I only spent a few minutes with each model, and my audio vocabulary is quite lacking, but hopefully I can leave everyone with a few helpful thoughts. And if not, well, at least I get to brag
tongue.gif

I met everyone's favorite Shure employee, Matt (Sugarfried), in the lobby of their gorgeous building. He had the E2-E5 and his Ipod ready to go. I listened to a few different songs, but mostly just Couting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi, and Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats. Only the foamies were used, which are Matt's preference and seemed quite comfortable to me. On to the impressions, in the order in which I tried each model:

E2 - I spent the least time with this model. It seemed like the bass was too overpowering, giving the music an inarticulated, muddy quality. They were OK, but not well suited to critical listening. Also less comfortable than their smaller tubed brethren.

E3 - These would be a major upgrade from any consumer level headphone I've tried. Any muddiness was gone and I was now really enjoying the music. Not quite the detail, soundstage, extension that I'm used to with my HD595s, but for their price these really feel like the sweet-spot of the canalphone market. Most likely what I will be buying soon.

E4c - A major step up. Detail and impact were what really struck me. I no longer felt like I was making a compromise for portability and isolation. Seemed more natural, more airy like an open 'phone. The E3s were great, but these were impressive.

The metal casing really looks sharp. It gives these little guys a tough look, but it's functional too. Being able to remove the tip for cleaning is clearly a useful feature. It screwed on very tight, with a rubber washer to keep it in place. When complexity goes up and manufacturers start adding little parts here and there I usually get nervous, but the E4 looked tight and well thought out. I would have no reservations about build quality and will buy these if my E3 fund manages to grow a bit.

E5 - I think we've gone beyond what I'm able to appreciate at this point. Maybe they're better than the E4cs, but I just couldn't tell. The sound was noticably different though, I just can't articulate how. Sorry mates, the more experienced HeadFiers will help us out on this one.

Matt also mentioned that the big boss herself, Mrs. Shure, requested that her new iPod shuffle be paired with the E4c. I'm guessing she can afford the E5s, so this is a big endorsement for their new model.

Before I left, I tried to convince Matt to hold a meet at the HQ, but I saw his hand inching towards a big red button on the phone labeled "Security" and I didn't press the issue
icon10.gif
. Actually he said it would be fun, so we'll see.

Matt, thank you for taking time out of your day to give me my first experience with Shure Earphones. I learned a lot and now really look forward to owning a pair.

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 47
I used only an ampless 3G (likely 40gb) iPod. I don't intend on using Shures amped, or with a non-portable source, so I didn't think to ask to try something else.

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
E3 - These would be a major upgrade from any consumer level headphone I've tried. Any muddiness was gone and I was now really enjoying the music. Not quite the detail, soundstage, extension that I'm used to with my HD595s, but for their price these really feel like the sweet-spot of the canalphone market. Most likely what I will be buying soon.

E4c - A major step up. Detail and impact were what really struck me. I no longer felt like I was making a compromise for portability and isolation. Seemed more natural, more airy like an open 'phone. The E3s were great, but these were impressive

Okay do you think the details that are in the e4c and the greater impact warrants an upgrade or can some of the detail and impact felt be squeezed out with the eq. I love the sound of the e3 and the accuracy and I am willing to upgrade if it is a big enough step up. I am afraid that I will be dissapointed if I don't get an eye opening change.

*But wouldn't Mrs. Shure want the e4c because they are a newer matching product. Dosen't she want to promote it boost sales?

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Ok cheers, I'll only take your review considering build quality, and not sound quality.

rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the review Ogewo, I'll have to see if I can set aside some cash for a pair of these.

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Today ......... pair.

thanks for the comparison.
Is the E4C good enough to warrant an upgrade to the E3c?(I know it is better, but is the going to impress me after using the E3s) (What I mean is it worth the money considering I already own the E3)
How is the soundstage of the E4c, compare to the E3c. Is it an in the head 'stage as in the E3s or does it give you the feeling of sounds outside around you?
Is the datail much, much better, than the E3c?
How does soundstage and detail compare to E5c?
Thanks.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the review Ogewo, I'll have to see if I can set aside some cash for a pair of these.

Clueless. Don't you think any review should be on full size seperates with original CD as the source? Good quality CD player, pre-amp & headphone amp? My Grados or Sennheisers don't sound their best from my iriver or other portables CD P etc...sounds far better on home based transport/DAC/hifi pre-amp. So I guess the RS-1's are pretty naff phones eh? And 650's sound rubbish too. And especially if the portable has bass problem <32ohm mmm?

See past the fanboyism.

Yeah I'm also downplaying iriver SQ/headphone amp too...only someone delusional will say otherwise.

I guess have to wait until someone uses these on seperates...get a more accurate review.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Clueless. Don't you think any review should be on full size seperates with original CD as the source?

Call me "clueless" as well, because I find reviews and impressions to be more useful when they use sources that I would most likely use myself, such as an iPod. Since I don't plan to use the E4 with other sources, except maybe portable MD units, his comments regarding his impressions straight out of an iPod were on the money, at least for me.
I may be wrong, but I think others here may feel the same way.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

E2 - I spent the least time with this model. It seemed like the bass was too overpowering, giving the music an inarticulated, muddy quality. They were OK, but not well suited to critical listening. Also less comfortable than their smaller tubed brethren.

Strange. I'm assuming you were listening to the e2c's and not a new revamped model? Because my e2c's do not sound muddy (and especially not bass heavy at all) when driven via my Rio Karma (naturally with custom eq on). If anything, they sound clean, a bit extended, there's some decent soundstage in well recorded tracks and the treble is decent. I gotta point the finger at the ipod (was eq used?) and possibly the way the files were encoded. I don't think you got a fair representation of the e2c.

Regardless, thanks for the write up, always cool to see someone share his.her thoughts even if i don't agree with them.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Clueless. Don't you think any review should be on full size seperates with original CD as the source? Good quality CD player, pre-amp & headphone amp?

Would you like some cheese with your whine?
etysmile.gif
Did it occur to you that some posters, like the reviewer, only intend to use the earphones unamped with portable sources?
Quote:

I guess have to wait until someone uses these on seperates...get a more accurate review.

Please, by all means do that. Actually there IS a recent review on this very board that makes use of E4Cs with better components.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Clueless. Don't you think any review should be on full size seperates with original CD as the source? Good quality CD player, pre-amp & headphone amp? My Grados or Sennheisers don't sound their best from my iriver or other portables CD P etc...sounds far better on home based transport/DAC/hifi pre-amp. So I guess the RS-1's are pretty naff phones eh? And 650's sound rubbish too. And especially if the portable has bass problem <32ohm mmm?

See past the fanboyism.

Yeah I'm also downplaying iriver SQ/headphone amp too...only someone delusional will say otherwise.

To be fair, his quote that he needs to set aside some money to pick up a pair could simply mean that he's interested enough to stick his neck out and audition them properly instead of taking someone else's word for it, and does not necessarily need to be a function of any "fanboyism" or other unearned bias for the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back