E4C a disaster with iPod?
Jul 31, 2006 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Holland86

New Head-Fier
Just read a statement that E4C didn't work well with the iPod, 4th as well as 5th generation, due to too high impedance. This should make it incapable of producing bass..

Is that true to any degree or does that guy need to read the insertion guide?

Any other comments on using E4C with 4th G iPod without an amp?

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 30
the ipod's headphone amp, 3rd thru 5G, is a disaster.

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 30
^ o rly? Plz clarify.

Back on topic, it's fine, but there is indeed a noticable improvement w/ an amp; tighter and stronger bass is probably what you're looking for?

Then a small amp (PA2V2) may be in order.

Nvm, make that a Hornet
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 30
I never found the E4Cs to lack bass when I used them with my 5G iPod. They don't sound particularly better with an amp, but the crossfeed with my Total Bithead is very nice.

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 30
It's all relative. For some, the E4c out of the 5g iPod will never have enough bass. But I find it to be very balanced out of the 5g and out of the iPod nano. It's not a bass monster, but there's enough and, again, it sounds balanced to me. But I'm not a basshead.

Actually, I find the E4c sounds fantastic out of a nano, but that may be my preferences.

With the 4g, the E4c is quite bass-shy, even for me. But there are other things I like about this sound (sharp, crisp highs, for example). But if you're concerned about bass quantity, this combo is not for you.

But the E4c will never have the bass of a super.fi 5 Pro or UM2 or Shure E5c.

Best,

-Jason

Aug 1, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 30
With the 5G the bass is ample. If you use a line out and an amp it gets better still, but it's not essential. One thing to note, the bass quantity you get varies significantly with fit and with the tips you choose. I get the best performance (night and day difference) with the foam tips.

Aug 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
With the 5G the bass is ample. If you use a line out and an amp it gets better still, but it's not essential. One thing to note, the bass quantity you get varies significantly with fit and with the tips you choose. I get the best performance (night and day difference) with the foam tips.

I've tried the E4c's off my home amp, and the bass boost sounded great, nice and even with everything else. With it straight out of the nano, you can notice that its just not there on certain tracks.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 30
My e4 sound fantastic in the bass department out of an iRiver H120 with bass set at +6 or +8 db. Recently they have gotten even bassier probably due to being sufficiently broken in. In fact, in my setup the e4 is so bassy that I wouldn't want any more of it. As it was pointed out before, the proper fit and appropriate tips are a must for the results to be satisfactory. I hear a lot of complains about Shure e4 not having enough of the bottom end and it puzzles me that people don't take the source into consideration. With a proper EQ they generate as much of the deep and controlled bottom end as anyone would ever want. However, it just won't happen with a Nano. Generally, I've never been a fan of EQ but it made me a believer when I heard the results. In fact, my EQ-tweeked portable setup consisting of H120->e4 is so good that I have foregone using a portable headamp. I would encourage everyone dissatisfied with the sound of their Shure e4(c) first investing into a source allowing for custom EQ settings such as H120/H140 or iAudio X5 instead of a headamp. Even if you do not like the resulting sound of H120->e4, in my opinion, ownership of H120 is merited by the fact that it has an optical out.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 30
Well, you could always "downgrade" and get the Sennheiser or Creative canal phones and trade off greater isolation and IEM clarity for a bassier, more fun sound (plus you'd have money left over for more music) ... but that wouldn't be the hardcore Head-Fi way ...

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Habakkuk
My e4 sound fantastic in the bass department out of an iRiver H120 with bass set at +6 or +8 db. Recently they have gotten even bassier probably due to being sufficiently broken in. In fact, in my setup the e4 is so bassy that I wouldn't want any more of it. As it was pointed out before, the proper fit and appropriate tips are a must for the results to be satisfactory. I hear a lot of complains about Shure e4 not having enough of the bottom end and it puzzles me that people don't take the source into consideration. With a proper EQ they generate as much of the deep and controlled bottom end as anyone would ever want. However, it just won't happen with a Nano. Generally, I've never been a fan of EQ but it made me a believer when I heard the results. In fact, my EQ-tweeked portable setup consisting of H120->e4 is so good that I have foregone using a portable headamp. I would encourage everyone dissatisfied with the sound of their Shure e4(c) first investing into a source allowing for custom EQ settings such as H120/H140 or iAudio X5 instead of a headamp. Even if you do not like the resulting sound of H120->e4, in my opinion, ownership of H120 is merited by the fact that it has an optical out.

This was my experience as well. I loved the e4's out of the h120 with the bass boosted. Unfortunately, I wanted the e4's for use out of an unamped video ipod. No amount of EQ'ing made the bottom end sing. I used them with the foam tips too. In the end, I sent them back and bought a pair of senn cx300 for commuting. If you like a good amount of bass...I would not recommend the e4's unamped out of an ipod.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 30
Of course, what constitutes a "good amount of bass" varies from person to person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back