E3's or E4's
Nov 21, 2005 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ploop

Head-Fier
Well, its finally come down to this. I am leaning towards the E4's, but i can get them at the following prices:

E4's: 170 Shipped
E3's: 110 Shipped

from what i've heard, the E4 has better everything, but the treble is somewhat dull. I am going to run it unamped through an Iaudio X5....

i'm looking for:

Powerful (not muddy), Punchy Bass
Warm sounding
Good Mids
Not to harsh on the highs, but clear.
Excellent Clarity.
Nothing in White (for anyone who suggests something else).
Small Form Factor (even for IEM)

I believe the one i want is the E4, but i just want to know if i can get the E3 and still be happy.

Thanksss!

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 15
the e3's have pretty rolled off highs, and not as strong bass. the e4's are significantly better in pretty much every way, and are pretty detailed as well. some prefer them to the ety er-4's overall. if you can afford the e4's, theres pretty much no reason to go with the e3's. most people would tell you to get the westone um1's or ety er-6i over the e3's.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Oh god, e4s. They're so much better. So much. I love them so much more than my e3s... better soundstage, better bass, much better treble, better mids, more impact, more detail... I love them
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 15
The E4 of course. If you buy the E3 you're only gonna upgrade anyway, might as well buy the E4 now and save yourself some cash.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Look at it this way -- you can get E4's at an E3 price. That's pretty good incentive right there. And from posts elsewhere, I know that while Karmalicious has said good things about his E3's (I know I really like mine), as stated above he has moved up in the world to the E4's, which he likes much more. So, in the true Head-Fi tradition, when in doubt, buy up.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 15
Hmmm ok. I guess i should start saving up money.

I wish i had a good customer review on eBay (no one's ever bought anything so its zero).

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 15
If I had to do it over again and the E4s were released, I would spend the extra cash and get the E4s over the E3s. The E3s are pretty good, but from what I've read the E4s are without a doubt worth it.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

The E3s are pretty good, but from what I've read the E4s are without a doubt worth it.

Absolutely... when I first tried 'em, I had that stupid grin on my face for hours, just like when I moved up from $10 earbuds to my E2s
biggrin.gif
. And after burnin... *drooooool*

BTW, we still need a Shure smiley. Badly.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 15
where can u get the e4's for that price, that is just under my price limit and i really want them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Oh god, e4s. They're so much better. So much. I love them so much more than my e3s... better soundstage, better bass, much better treble, better mids, more impact, more detail... I love them
biggrin.gif

+1

after 50 hours of burn in, they sound pretty good already

perhaps it would get better
icon10.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Powerful (not muddy), Punchy Bass

do NOT get the e3c.

choose between westone um1 and e4c.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Its threads like these that make us all bankrupt!!!

I just bought some second hand e3c's and am trying to avoid the Head-Fi upgrade curse [I don't need e4s, I don't need e4s, I don't...]

The E3c's sound amazing, you won't be disappointed unless you've already reached audiophile statuts.

Having said that there does seem to be a general consensus that the UM1s are better than the e3c's and are usually cheaper. I only went for the e3c's because I got some second hand for $85 shipped
etysmile.gif
and I think the UM1s are a bit ugly.

Good Luck!

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 15
E3c is exactly what you say. Punchy bass, (not mud at all), great, "GREAT" mids and upper highs that even if they are not as "liquid" as in E4 or UM2, thet aren't ugly.

I've entered in this "sorry about your wallet Head-Fi thingy" because them. I felt in love with them and still am I, sometimes I miss their fabulous mid range when listening to the Westone UM2.

I've never had to EQ my E3c.

E4 are "exactly" the same. I mean, they have the same sound signature; in some tunes you wont feel the difference. But, of course, E4 reaches more highs in quality and cantity and the low end is better.

But the overall sound coloration and so, is similar to the E3.

For example, the Westone UM2 has a overall sound of "Creamy sound", that is far different than the Shure line. This one whould be 'Sharp sound"... or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back