E3s just came in; first impressions inside
Apr 1, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 30
tnx guys,

the tubes im using are only going to last so long, one is starting to split a bit on the end, so I am in the process of looking for something else to use.. anyone comes up with something please let us know..

going to the foamie tube has fixed the problem of the plug coming off, they do not move at all on this tube.. also the foamie tube is more rigid than the rubber tubes.. something to keep in mind when looking for an alternative.

Here is an updated pic of the plug using the bottom portion.. I use a pair of scissors and cut very very slim slice off the bottom of the plug as its alittle too large to fit in my ear comfortably, this still leaves the plug in more of a V shape and produces a better fit in my ear over my old way of using the top portion of the plug. This whole process btw takes only a few mintues to make both plugs.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoro
Gary, Thanks for the sharing
biggrin.gif

One question,

So you re-use the tubes that are inside the stock yellow foamies?

I wonder if anyone know where can I buy those ear plugs?
In pharmacy?

(I live in Toronto.)

Yes, just shave off the yellow plug that is glued on the tube, this will leave the tube rough with glue and some yellow plug bits left behind, the new plug grabs onto this quite well..

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by greyt_autumn
I've been using tri-flanges and I love my e3's. Bass is not an issue with proper insertion, but if the're not in correctly and sealed, fuhgettaboutit. Really anemic lows.

I like tri flanges since I'm used to tri flange earplugs. I can wear 'em all day.

Now I just need an attenuator for an upcoming trip. As it is, my h320 never goes above 5!

I bough these over the ER61's. I found the Eyt's to be more fatiging, and I did not like the fit- too deep for me. The sound was also too bright compared to teh E3's off of the same source.

Eveybody's mileage varies though.

I have not tried the tri-flange plugs, do they suffer the same problem as the single rubber plugs? or at lease problems I had.. ie: any talking or gum chewing would move the plug enough to crack the seal. I also had a hard time getting both plugs sealed the same as well, drove me nuts..

this is something that is not a problem with foamies and even better with my home made plugs.. I am not kidding when I say I listen to stuff at low levels and cannot hear a damn thing anyone is saying to me, they seal like a champ, and I would think becuase of this and the lower listening levels the better for thy ears.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 30
I'm far too busy reading this forum to make my own foamies, but definitely agree that foamies are the only way to get bass from E3c's. I am still not satisfied with them, and will probably upgrade once the market has re-stabilized after the introduction of the E500's. Whether I will be insane enough to spend that kind of money for a pair of IEM's remains to be seen.

Anyway, to get bass from E3c's you definitely need a good seal. For my ears, that means foamies only. The next thing to check is that the sleaves are completely covering the black thingies that the foamies slip over(whatever the thingies are technically called). It makes a huge difference.

I have ordered a Xin Micro 3 amp which might help a bit more on the low end (I use the IEM's with a Nano), but I doubt it will be enough to keep me from upgrading to a multiple driver IEM.

That said, I do enjoy the E3C's very much. I can understand song lyrics like never before. I think you also enjoy them more with practice; your ears get used to the sound.

The biggest downside to them is that I can no longer tolerate any lossy music files; I am re-ripping my entire library. I suspect that is true with any decent headphones or IEM's; the E3C's just happen to be my first decent personal listening devices.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 30
(10 hrs. in)

I have decided to develop my own foamies. I want to keep a tight wrap on them now, but the first time I tried them, I swear I thought I was using some E4s. The bass response is amazing now. Pics and more impressions to come.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
(10 hrs. in)

I have decided to develop my own foamies. I want to keep a tight wrap on them now, but the first time I tried them, I swear I thought I was using some E4s. The bass response is amazing now. Pics and more impressions to come.

yes, make sure to get some pics up and how you made them..!

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 30
Well, let's just say for now that one of the tricks is that I've just doubled the size of the resonance chamber.

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 30
My custom-made foamies are done after a few grueling hours, I finished developing my design. My original concept had such a large chamber that the bass was incredibly strong, but the treble and clarity were lacking. I went with a slightly shorter chamber, and most issues have been corrected. I will start a new thread for my foamies, beucase all my impressions of the E3s changed when I used them.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
My custom-made foamies are done after a few grueling hours, I finished developing my design. My original concept had such a large chamber that the bass was incredibly strong, but the treble and clarity were lacking. I went with a slightly shorter chamber, and most issues have been corrected. I will start a new thread for my foamies, beucase all my impressions of the E3s changed when I used them.

I look forward to see what you have done..

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #26 of 30
I still have my E3c and I just upgraded to the UE-5c. I still have to the get the fit right on the ultimate ears but let me tell you what a world of difference it is. I hate that the E3c just don't have bass. When I put on the UE-5c, it's like I'm in heaven and when I put the E3c back on it's like someone is yelling in my ear. It's nice that I have experienced the Shures so I can appreciate the ultimate ears even more. There is nothing like custom fit, especially since you can't even tell they're in at all.

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by legolocker
I still have my E3c and I just upgraded to the UE-5c. I still have to the get the fit right on the ultimate ears but let me tell you what a world of difference it is. I hate that the E3c just don't have bass. When I put on the UE-5c, it's like I'm in heaven and when I put the E3c back on it's like someone is yelling in my ear. It's nice that I have experienced the Shures so I can appreciate the ultimate ears even more. There is nothing like custom fit, especially since you can't even tell they're in at all.

with the custom plugs the e3's have bass and very good sounding bass at that.. its not pushed and sounds just right..

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by legolocker

well, you paid what you get for,
biggrin.gif

I am fine w/ less bass actually (but definitely not er6i)
since I don't want too much bass going thr my ear canal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back