E3G IS NOT E3C!!!
Feb 28, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ioman
Did you read the conclusion?

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/re...638_page3.html

I am sure that Bose is not going to like us referring people to the Sennheiser camp.

BTW I work for Designtechnica too and I am a huge fan of Head-Fi too.
580smile.gif

yes i did...

But the crisp and clear part? the high rating?

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
Then you should do something to counteract that in a review. That's like saying you are aware that smoking causes lung cancer but you aren't interested in quiting. I'm sorry if I sound rude, it's just that I remember reading your review when I was investigating the E3 series and it confused me.

You have to remember that the site is a publication of sorts. People link, quote, and in general rely on static information in the articles. That's why we appended the comment on the first page, rather than change the whole article. We have in the past had companies send 'tweaked' items for us to review (items with different specs than what was actually shipping), and the best way of maintaining consistency is to issue the equivalent to an errata. I stand behind my experience with both sets of headphones, and as such issued a correction of the factual material.

Sorry about the confusion, but our site is more like a magazine, handling actual press releases, bound by NDAs, and acting as the mouthpiece of paid journalists and analysts. Most people are used to blogs and forums where information is less static. That's great for some purposes, but not for others. It's just a different way of presenting information.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 46
Here is a direct quote on this issue, recently posted on Shure's own FAQs:

"Question
Does the E series Gaming Edition have more bass response?

Answer
No. The E series gaming edition is the exact same product as it comparable E series line except for the following two differences. 1) The Gaming series is colored in Black. 2) the Gaming series features a 6 inch shorter cable than it's EC series counterpart. 3) the E4G gaming earphones ship with rubber "ear hugger"s. The E4C's do not. Other than those three differences, it is exactly the same as the E series earphones line and will sound exactly the same as long as you are using the same type and size sleeve and have the correct seal in your ear. Bass response is directly influenced by the type of seal you have in your ear canal. Please try all the sleeves contained with the earphones to find the one that fits your ear the best."

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
Nigel Tufnel: "It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Smell the Glove my man. Smell the Glove.

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Answer
No. The E series gaming edition is the exact same product as it comparable E series line except for the following two differences. 1) The Gaming series is colored in Black. 2) the Gaming series features a 6 inch shorter cable than it's EC series counterpart. 3) the E4G gaming earphones ship with rubber "ear hugger"s. The E4C's do not. Other than those three differences, it is exactly the same as the E series earphones line and will sound exactly the same as long as you are using the same type and size sleeve and have the correct seal in your ear. Bass response is directly influenced by the type of seal you have in your ear canal. Please try all the sleeves contained with the earphones to find the one that fits your ear the best."

confused.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears
Here is a direct quote on this issue, recently posted on Shure's own FAQs:

"Question
Does the E series Gaming Edition have more bass response?

Answer

Yup. The review was written before Shure updated their site, so this was totally audition based. You'll notice the date that was added to the FAQ was Feb 8 2006.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
Why are people bashing the designtechnica site, I find their info very useful.

Because they're out to make money through companies...It's the same reason Newegg customer reveiws on MP3 players matter more than say Cnet reviews which don't give the the details on whether the product is reliable or has any flaws that could cause it to break over and over or whether the battery really has the advertised amount of hours before it runs out.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Because they're out to make money through companies...It's the same reason Newegg customer reveiws on MP3 players matter more than say Cnet reviews which don't give the the details on whether the product is reliable or has any flaws that could cause it to break over and over or whether the battery really has the advertised amount of hours before it runs out.

Excuse me, but Newegg customer reviews are never perfectly reliable. It all depends on who's writing them, how long they've been using it, whether or not they have brand bias, and a host of other variables. I agree that Cnet reviews are not much better in this regard, but short customer reviews such as the one on Newegg are little more than 3 line blurbs with a rating attached and some arbitrarily-entered info. The best solution is to look for review sites with in-depth testing.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #42 of 46
**QUOTE DELETED BY MODERATOR**

Sounds like you reviewers have a terrible habit of receiving defective versions of great headphones. Try again. The e3cs and Grados are more than excellent, they're downright fantastic.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Excuse me, but Newegg customer reviews are never perfectly reliable. It all depends on who's writing them, how long they've been using it, whether or not they have brand bias, and a host of other variables. I agree that Cnet reviews are not much better in this regard, but short customer reviews such as the one on Newegg are little more than 3 line blurbs with a rating attached and some arbitrarily-entered info. The best solution is to look for review sites with in-depth testing.

Well yeah, I would agree that not all customer reviews are reliable and some are biased but atleast most of them come from people who have experience using, and not just looking at, the products. I disagree that they are just three line blurbs though because when you pay attention you find the full length reviews from experienced customers (like me). Trust me, I build entire computers and I learned how to from researching products and finding advice from people who had already used the products, not from some site like Cnet thats more concerned with design and ergonomics than reliability and quality.

**QUOTE AND RESPONSE DELETED BY MODERATOR**

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #44 of 46
I've just deleted several posts...let's keep it civil and I won't have to lock the thread.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965

I know you're speaking directly from first hand experience, right? Then you know we are sent review units from companies, and that 90% of the time we do not get to keep the units after the review is posted. Many of my reviews are of things I actually end up buying (which is why you see alot of my reviews rating a 8+ out of 10). If things go down the crapper, I note it in the forum threads associated with each review and in subsequent reviews of related products or future products by the same company. I generally test battery life on any battery powered devices and note the build quality.

I find logical site reviews to be far more useful that merchant customer reviews. User reviews fall into 2 categories: 1) people that invested a good amount of money in a product which meets their needs, so they ignore the shortcomings that would matter to another person. 2) People that got the 1 in 100 that was defective and had to return it. I love NewEgg, but half their user reviews are, "I got this and it didn't work. 1 star" and the others are "This is perfect for me. I'm happy. No details. 5 stars". And that's not even mentioning that many companies will have employees buy their own products or review them on sites to boost ratings. CNet has user reviews, too. About half of the people actually own what they're 'reviewing', and about a 1/4 saw it once ina store for 15 seconds. Sites try to generalize about the experience and place themselves in the shoes of a variety of consumers. Here's a little blurb from a review I did of the Sharp M4000:
"Sure, the press releases make the M4000 sound like there was some planning behind it, but it doesn’t fit with any major market. Business types will be annoyed by the lack of Bluetooth and turned off by the gaudy shiny buttons, students won’t be able to customize it to their university’s specifications, and gamers wouldn’t touch it with a 50-foot pole. While the battery life and general performance are both good, there is little to compel a potential buyer that this is the laptop for them."
To the dismay of Sharp (and believe me, they argued alot about it), I placed their product head to head with a comparable Sony notebook on speed, features and price. I doubt Sharp made any money off our review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back