E3G IS NOT E3C!!!
Jan 12, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mos86
..So the folks at design technica who did all those test are just wrong? it is designtechnica after all you know..

Thanks,
Mos86.

Well, Designtechnica hates Grados in general, so I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 46
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, and I rarely post much.

BUT

I am the reviewer from Designtechnica. Yes, I swear. And yes, I do check Head-Fi pretty regularly.

My experience with the E3G was very different from the E3C (I wrote both reviews). I was notified by Shure that the two models use the same drivers, but between the two pairs, the sound was VERY different. You can tell by the E3C review that I was very unimpressed by the bass, and the only thing I could think of was that the set of E3Cs I got were defective. That's, of course, a theory. We are adding a blurb to the first page of the review to reflect this (sometime within the next couple days).

So, before you knock the site, remember that we might actually care about your opinions. That's why every review has a link to a forum discussion on the topic. It might be a better way of approaching questions you have, versus talking behind the site's back. Cuz we'll hunt you down, no matter what forum you post on! (j/k) :p

(Oh and on the Grados thing, the site is DESIGNtechnica. Come on, admit it. Design-wise the Grados get a 2/10 (at least they don't fall apart too easily). Sound-wise, if you like acoustic music, they get a 7-8/10. Any other music, and they score considerably lower. That's why they got the rating they did.)

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 46
^ Dang, first wiretapping, now this. What will they think of next??
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 46
Could be a symptom of manufacturing tolerances allowing enough of a difference to permit sonic change. After all, we're talking about minute parts; even a small change could alter the tuning enough to hear between two parts, even in the same batch.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 46
[size=x-large]HA HA HA [/size]
Quote:

Originally Posted by xbkingx
Hey guys,

BUT

I am the reviewer from Designtechnica. Yes, I swear. And yes, I do check Head-Fi pretty regularly.

My experience with the E3G was very different from the E3C (I wrote both reviews). I was notified by Shure that the two models use the same drivers, but between the two pairs, the sound was VERY different. You can tell by the E3C review that I was very unimpressed by the bass, and the only thing I could think of was that the set of E3Cs I get were defective. That's, of course, a theory. We are adding a blurb to the first page of the review to reflect this (sometime within the next couple days).

So, before you knock the site, remember that we might actually care about your opinions. That's why every review has a link to a forum discussion on the topic. It might be a better way of approaching questions you have, versus talking behind the site's back. Cuz we'll hunt you down, no matter what forum you post on! (j/k) :p

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
E3, E3c and E3g all use the same acoustic system. No changes whatsoever. The reviewers experience might be due to his further understanding of proper use. One can only guess.

Nooooo They gave the bose Headphones a 7...they said the sound output was crisp and clear...

I just read that out loud and I heard a laugh come from My Sennheiser 201's...in their box....

Not sure what that means..

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Hey guys,

BUT

My experience with the E3G was very different from the E3C (I wrote both reviews). I was notified by Shure that the two models use the same drivers, but between the two pairs, the sound was VERY different. You can tell by the E3C review that I was very unimpressed by the bass, and the only thing I could think of was that the set of E3Cs I get were defective. That's, of course, a theory. We are adding a blurb to the first page of the review to reflect this (sometime within the next couple days).

Was it a blind test?

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Was it a blind test?

Seriously. Assuming he takes his reviews seriously he should revisit it and perform a blind test on himself and another reviewer.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Nooooo They gave the bose Headphones a 7...they said the sound output was crisp and clear...

I just read that out loud and I heard a laugh come from My Sennheiser 201's...in their box....

Not sure what that means..

Did you read the conclusion?

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/re...638_page3.html

Quote:

If you are looking for over-the-ear headphones with true portability featuring a folding mechanism, we would recommend the Sennheiser PXC 250 or PXC 300. If you are not too concerned with folding headphones, check out the Sennheiser HD 580.

I am sure that Bose is not going to like us referring people to the Sennheiser camp.

BTW I work for Designtechnica too and I am a huge fan of Head-Fi too.
580smile.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ioman
This could be a newbie assumption because I do not review headphones, but could the sample we received been broken in a little more?

I generally burn in the headphones for a couple days before reviewing. Both units were factory sealed versions. I also used the same music selection for the E2C, E3C, and E3G, progressively adding more selections. Sources were also pretty consistent.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
Nigel Tufnel: "It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Spinal Tap owns!

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Was it a blind test?

No, I knew what models were being tested, though they were separated by almost 2 years. Still, my impressions were distinctly different. I remember contacting the Shure rep to complain that the bass on the E3C was very weak. I also remeber being glad I didn't buy the E3C. I erally liked teh E3G's sound, though.

I even used the same sleeve sizes for both reviews (along with the other similarities mentioned in my earlier reply).

I should say I am also very aware of placebo effects/marketing brainwashing when I get new products, and approach each review from a skeptic's standpoint.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

I should say I am also very aware of placebo effects/marketing brainwashing when I get new products, and approach each review from a skeptic's standpoint.

Then you should do something to counteract that in a review. That's like saying you are aware that smoking causes lung cancer but you aren't interested in quiting. I'm sorry if I sound rude, it's just that I remember reading your review when I was investigating the E3 series and it confused me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back