E3c's died (again), repair or replace?
Mar 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

D2X2903

New Head-Fier
My first set of E3c's (from April 2005) had an issue in the Y splitter to each earphone in March 2007 and now the replacement pair I got back from Shure have an issue somewhere. I can't tell if it's again the Y splitter or if the problem is in the cord's connection to the 3.5mm plug, but if I move the main cord around without music playing, I hear swishing and crackling. If I then play music, the sound in the left (and sometimes right) earphone cuts out.

These earphones are no longer under Shure's 2 year warranty, but I can have them repaired for $79. I figured I might as well see if there are other earphones out there now that are around $150 or less that can equal the E3c. I listen mostly to music along the lines of Deftones/Coheed and Cambria/alternative rock, but I do also listen to a lot of classical and some jazz. My one (minor) gripe about the E3c's (besides the fact that mine keep breaking) is that the bass never really had much of an oomph if I set my source accordingly (Zen Vision:M 30GB or X-Fi). I am looking for sound isolating earphones.

Any recommendations? Should I repair them, or are there new comparable earphones out there that I should look into?

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I made the mistake of paying the $79 to repair my E3c... though they did send me a brand new one for that price, sans the shipping box and extra tips.

If you're considering to spend $150-ish, do consider the Phonak Audeons ($139 before shipping).. it shares E3c's mid and high characteristic, but (to me) it has a much higher clarity and speed. It comes with 2 interchangeable filters. With the black filter, it covers the low range much better with quite a bit lower bass extensions and also punchier than E3c's. With the grey filter the mid and highs sparkle a lot more (but the highs pierce my ears so badly, I can't stand em), and the bass is about the same amount as E3c.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 5
^x2 on the Phonaks. The sound is absolutely brilliant for the price, especially if you plan on listening to any acoustic music. It's like having a beautiful supermodel make love to your ear canals
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I say get the Phonaks and forget about Shure E3s - they are a thing of the past now.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the Phonaks and forget about Shure E3s - they are a thing of the past now.

x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back