E3c's compare how well to normal headphones?
May 24, 2004 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wctkdman

New Head-Fier
It seems like these would be the best for me to go with my coming iriver, but I would like to know how good they sound relative to normal headphones.

Since these are intended to be used at work, I don't want something that is bulky.

How would they compare sound wise to hd555's, SR60, DT 231's, and PX200's? I like all sorts of music, but dislike too much of the high frequencies, so no V6.

I don't really want the grados because they are ugly, and the senns because they are big, but I am just looking for a sound quality comparison right now.

Lastly, are they comfortable? I will be wearing them for 6-8 hrs a day, so they should be very comfortable.

May 25, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 10
I use both with iPod.
The PX200 are fine.
Unless I put on E3C. Then...the PX200 lack of detail as contrasted with E3C becomes apparent. E3C is a far better phone IMHO.
But...I have to say...I still like PX200 - especially in situations that require less isolation.

May 25, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 10
I've done some more reading...and am more confused about what to get than before >.<

I am now also considering the Sharp MD 33's and the E2c's. I think I might like the E2c's because of more bass, but it also has comfort issues.

Anyways, how comfortable and how well do the MD33's isolate, and how good do they sound?

May 25, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 10
I have both the E3's and the MD33's.

I have recently switched over the to MD33's for use with my portable MP3 player. The sound produced by these things is just unbelievable. The main advantage of these things is that they provide a solid bass kick.

The main drawback of the E3's is that they provide only adequate bass. They are missing that deep thump. Some people don't like this type of bass so the E3's are for them. I have relegated the E3's for use on my computer where the sound can be manipulated with an EQ.

Comparing the E3's and the MD33's is a bit difficult because the E3's are canalphones and have an advantage of providing total isolation. But the MD33's are definately better value based on price.

Neither of these compare to full size headphones. Full size headphones are almost always better.

May 25, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 10
What iriver are you getting? I have the iHP-120 and the iMP-350...and the E3 sounds good on both.
Well, it all depends on your pespective. Detail on them are good - I'd estimate the detail on the E3 to be only slightly lower than that on the HD580, and that's pretty damn good for something that size.
However, as with any canalphone, soundstaging is essentially nonexistent, worse even than grados. So YMMV. However, even with soundstage taken into account, the E3 should be better than any of the phones you listed.
Also, the E3 (and from what I've heard, the E2 also) has badly recessed treble, so equalization is essentially a must. Even if you don't like treble, it'd probably still be too recessed. A "bowl-shaped equalization" - a treble boost and well as a slight bass boost will do wonders to the sound. Fortunately the iriver players have adequate measures for doing so, though not as good as, say, the Rio Karma.
Whether you want a canalphone at work is essentially the question of whether you need to hear anything at all. When you have canalphones on with music playing, you won't notice if the phone next to you rings, much less if anyone calls for you - and that may pose a major problem depending on your job.

May 26, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wctkdman
I am now also consdering the Sharp MD 33's and the E2c's. I think I might like the E2c's because of more bass, but it also has comfort issues.

Anyways, how comfortable and how well do the MD33's isolate, and how good do they sound?

actaully the md33s have much more bass than the ex71. it is more comfortable and easier to insert.

the e2c on the other hand have a little more details and isolate more than the md33s, but the treble power is a little weak. its not as comfortable to me, even with the foams, and is bothersome to insert and re-insert sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back