E3c's coming from Ex71's
Jun 5, 2005 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

P0iNT

Head-Fier
Hi guys this is my first post in these forums so be nice
tongue.gif

So I've had my sony ex-71's for about a year and on the weekend they decided to stop working properly in one ear, its weird the sound is really low in my right ear. So now I have been looking at reviews on both the shure and etymotics and I'm kinda leaning towards the shure e3c's because of the design and the comfort. I like a little bass in my music because most of the stuff I listen to is rock, metal, alternative with a little rap and techno here and there. So would the e3c's be sufficient in providing the bass needed? Also I have an iriver h340 if that helps so with a little bit of tweaking with the equalisers would the bass I need be able to be produced? I found the e3c's for about $160 AUD on ebay and if need be I would be able to spend up to $200 but that is pushing the budget.

Ok so if you guys could give me any suggestions of heads ups it would be much appreciated.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Go for it, or if you want to spend more money, check out the shure e4c or new ultimate ear offerings. They report to have good sound, especially if you like bass in your music.

have you searched on ksc75? it is around $20, better sounding then ex-71 and very portable. Though it does not give good isolation.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by P0iNT
Hi guys this is my first post in these forums so be nice
tongue.gif

So I've had my sony ex-71's for about a year and on the weekend they decided to stop working properly in one ear, its weird the sound is really low in my right ear. So now I have been looking at reviews on both the shure and etymotics and I'm kinda leaning towards the shure e3c's because of the design and the comfort. I like a little bass in my music because most of the stuff I listen to is rock, metal, alternative with a little rap and techno here and there. So would the e3c's be sufficient in providing the bass needed? Also I have an iriver h340 if that helps so with a little bit of tweaking with the equalisers would the bass I need be able to be produced? I found the e3c's for about $160 AUD on ebay and if need be I would be able to spend up to $200 but that is pushing the budget.

Ok so if you guys could give me any suggestions of heads ups it would be much appreciated.

For that price if bass is what you want, single drives will give you a nice amount of it, but very very very little compared to the amount the sonys give. My recommendation is that you save and get a dual driver. The shures (E3) definatelly have more bass than the etys (ER4/Er6i), but even then the bass is very little compared to that exagerated bass of the sony's. My recommendation is that you save for the shure E4c for all around ballance and quality, or the superfis for bass. I have not heard either the E4c nor superfis myself however.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok thanks for the suggestions guys I'll see what happens but the e4c looks alittle out of the range but they do look really good after reading some of the reviews here. Atm I'm only using the sennheiser's that came with my iriver player and I got the equaliser set on U bass with my iriver before with the my ex71's i just customised it. I would really prefer isolation earphones since I'm use to the ex-71's and would like a good upgrade.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Also guys I think I would be willing to loose some bass if the overall sound quality is much clearing and enjoyable. (LOL couldn't think of any words its to early in the morning) So if the e3c's provide a great listening experience as I've heard will tweaking the equalisers on my iriver change the sound much?

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 9
IMHO the e2c has more bass than the e3c. I found the 3c to be pretty flat across the spectrum, with slight treble recession.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by P0iNT
Also guys I think I would be willing to loose some bass if the overall sound quality is much clearing and enjoyable. (LOL couldn't think of any words its to early in the morning) So if the e3c's provide a great listening experience as I've heard will tweaking the equalisers on my iriver change the sound much?

then by all means go for the 3c it is a step up from the e2c in terms of clarity. Its a small step but noticeable IMHO. Both are a huge step up from the sony EX. IMHO the e2c sounds a LOT better amped. the low impedence shures really need a hefty current reserve.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 9
An equalizer can make the already great sound of the E3'c even much better. According to some users like hackeron, with extreme equalization you can even get a sound similar to that of the shure E5c (Lost and lots of bass, with shure E3s awesome mids, while fixing the weakness that is recessed highs). With an equalizer the e3s can achieve some crazy amount of bass, whie maintaining the great mids. You need to boos the highs also so the bass does not affect mess the highs up. I stil recommend you go for the E4c however. From what I have read they are supposed to be even much better than the E3s.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 9
Yer I would love to get the e4c's however I can't justify the price they are after conversion. Its around 310 AUD and for a student that is tons for a set of earphones. Like you said if the e3c's can be equalised to produce better sound and more bass than they should sound awesome on my h340. I'm still looking around for the cheapest price for e4c's but if there isnt a price drop or anything I think I'll just go with the e3c's. Maybe once I experience these and get some money I could upgrade to the e4c's later on down the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back