E3c and UE5c
Dec 11, 2004 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, I am completely new to quality headphones. I have been reading this forum along with a couple others and debated between the e3c and the ue5c. I have never used anything except stock headphones and I took the advice of some experienced members like Lindrone and a couple others. They all suggested starting with the e3cs because of resalability. The e3cs are very impressive. I think they are very comfortable and very well built. And the sound is just AWESOME. I never knew that such quality was affordable. Now I want the UE5cs. And these are not nearly as affordable, but if the jump in cost is equivalent to the jump in sound quality, they will be well worth it. But one of these experieced members advised that eventually the small gains in quality start to cost a lot of money. Suggesting that the $400 difference b/w the e3c and the UE5c is very subtle yet very costly. Is that correct? I understand that audiophiles will spend a LOT of money for a LITTLE improvement. But is that the case with these two models? Is there a significant difference b/w the e3c and the UE5c to a complete newbie? Again I have very inexperienced untrained ears that loved the obvious improvment of the e3c over stock phones. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't tried the UE-5Cs yet so I couldn't help you here directly. What I do know is that while there are very few E3 to UE-5C comparisons, there are E3 to E5 comparisons and E5 to UE-5C comparisons. By doing some close reading, you can probably figure out to some degree what sort of difference you're looking at here.

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 9
You are very right. I've done that and the comparisons b/w the e3c and the e5c recommend the e3c. ($180 vs $500) That's a bummer. Only because of the cost/perfomance ratio. Almost everyone suggests the e3c. Yet all the comparisons b/w the e5c and UE5c recommend the UE-5c. ($500 vs $550) So again, I'm stumped. So all I can figure is that there is a great improvement from the e3c to the ue5c, but not enough for a newbie to spend the cash. And I am definately a newbie. But I am so impressed with the shures that I was hoping that the UEs would also be worth the money, but I don't know. It is a lot of money but I would spend it in a second if I knew that the improvement from the e3c to the ue5c was as great as stock to e3c. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Just remember this, if you do get the UE-5C's, they will have absolutely zero resale value. Meaning, they are either an awesome investment, or a huge waste.

Dec 11, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Just remember this, if you do get the UE-5C's, they will have absolutely zero resale value. Meaning, they are either an awesome investment, or a huge waste.

That's exactly what's killing me about the purchase. I wish I could just audition a pair. Thanks again.

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 9
I think there's a pretty dramatic difference between the E3c and the UE5c. The E3c is great in a lot of ways, but it's still lacking in bass. The UE5c excels in that area, and the highs are still better than the E3c. So basically, while I felt like the E3c was a compromise in comparison to full-size phones, the UE5c is not.

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
I think there's a pretty dramatic difference between the E3c and the UE5c. The E3c is great in a lot of ways, but it's still lacking in bass. The UE5c excels in that area, and the highs are still better than the E3c. So basically, while I felt like the E3c was a compromise in comparison to full-size phones, the UE5c is not.

I've had/have both and mbk is right on. The E3's are great for price and I've always liked them. The UE5c's are so far beyond them in providing detail and a nice full presentation that there is no comparison. Whether it's worth it is based upon how content you are with the E3's.

lee0539....they will adjust your fit at no charge until you are happy....no problems there.

Dec 11, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 9
That's my problem. I was content with the trash stock headphones until I found these kinds of forums. Then I learned of quality sound. Now I'm not. Ignorance is bliss. I will probably get the UEs. I've already gotten ear impressions made for free at the local Miracle Ear office. I'll just have both the e3c and the ue5c. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back