E3 vs. E2 + Source
Apr 18, 2004 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
Alright. I've decided that I need some new canalphones ASAP, and hence will not be waiting around for E5s. This leaves another question though: Should I blow what I've got ($140) on E3s, or should I buy E2s and a Chaintech AV-710? Right now I've got a Soundblaster AudioPCI OEM (model 5805), and I think it's safe to say it's the worst source on earth. But, I'm not too sure if I'll like the E2s. I've heard they can be muddy, and have a recessed midrange and high-end. That's sort of the antithesis of what I like in a headphone. The E3, on the other hand, supposedly has nice mids and highs, but is slightly weak in the bass. This, to me, is extremely preferable. Also, having a larger variety of tips to choose from is very, very attractive, since I'm really only looking at ear-canalphones for maximum isolation, and the E2s little silicon tips don't really look like they do too much. For a good indicator of the music I listen to, look to my Audioscrobbler, in my signature.

Thanks, all.

On a side note, if anyone thinks they know of a full-size headphone that would better suit me, and also leave enough room in the finances to get the Chaintech, please tell me. And if you do have a suggestion, please, keep in mind that it will be used portably and unamped. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 7
i have the e2c and not the e3c. they do have more of the low end frquencies, but i dont think they are overemphasis or bloated. the higher mids and high treble is little push backed, but not a whole lot. it isn really an issue for me. music are still enjoyable with a solid bass and warm sound. the silicon sleeves get less bass than the foams.

the both the foams and silicon tips does an exceptional job of isolating outside noises. block out almost everything when i ride the bus to downtown. hence tight fits are very important on these. its a little bothersome to take it out of your ears and put back it. i'm used to it so it dont take much time for me.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 7
The E3 does have bass, but not subsonic, and I found it to be "clausterphobic" personally, with a muddy midbass, and rolled off treble, and a harsh mid.

A good source is always a plus, because if you put garbage in, you'll get it back out. This basshead is now considering the Ety ER6, does that say anything about the E3s?

Isolation is very good with the E3s, quite good. Depends on tips and your seal. I found the E3s fairly comfortable, and got the best seal with the clear white small size tips, pushed in as far as possible. It was enough isolation to block out say 85% of the human voice, as they came in very handy to get some sleep on a church retreat. Isolation improves with music on.

One thing is for sure, you will want a source with as low a noise floor as possible. These phones will let you know every hiss, beep and buzz present. A good source is definetly a help.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 7
I just got some E2c's with sony ex70 (or is it 71) tips. The sony tips are very comfortable, all I feel is a slight vacum sensation (the seal) which you would get with all canalphones. I think they sound pretty good personaly. I am used to hd600s out of a semi-decent PCDP, which to me sound amazing. The shure's do not quite have the same beautifuly clear highs that I hear on the HD-600s (though my source/amp supposedly suck- the hd600 still sounds amazing to me). To me the e2c's are exactaly what I wanted though: good sound for traveling/outside/noisy environments.

You may want to look into the ER-6, it supposedly has weaker bass than the e2c's but much better, clear highs. I would suggest reading gsferrari's (sp?) ER-6 vs. E2C comparative review.

One last thing, I really like the sony tips and it seems that they are popular here on the forums too. There are mods for both er-6 and e2c to use these tips.

good luck finding some canalphones!

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I own the E2c's and I find that they do the job for me. IMHO they are portable enough to use anywhere, have enough isolation to lose yourself in your music, and good enough SQ unamped to use with any source. I haven't heard the E3's so I cannot say how much better they are. But for $99 bucks I don't think you can do yourself wrong by purchasing them. It is true that the E2c's are mellow sounding in the higher frequencies but I have found that your ears do adjust to the sound. After several days of moderate use, they are beginning to sound better and better.

Just my $.02.
blink.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
The E3, on the other hand, supposedly has nice mids and highs, but is slightly weak in the bass. This, to me, is extremely preferable.

What you have heard is oh so true. If that is what you want, then definitely go with the e3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back