E2s or E3s for the gym?
Mar 15, 2004 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
I asked this question in a thread further down, so if it dies here I'll just drop it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my Karma working out (4-5 times a week) and in the library, and need isolating phones for both of these places. I've decided that the Shure line is the way to go as it provides the most isolation in a relatively sweat-impervious package. I'm currently using my KSC-35's in the gym and I have to turn them up so loud that I have headaches afterward. There is simply too much background noise.

From my reading it seems the E2s have muddier bass, but more of it. The E3s have better highs with recessed bass. If it were just for the library I would lean toward the E3s, but I could use the extra thump in the gym. Are these conclusions correct? Who here is pleased with either of these for gym use?

I guess it comes down to two questions:

1) Does one of these hold the edge for gym use (because of fit, isolation, sound, durability, etc.)?

2) Is my Karma going to reveal enough difference between these to justify the extra cost (I use ogg -q7)?

Thank you for any insights. I've already scored bigtime by following recommendations here to get the 35s. Thank you all for being so great.

Mar 15, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 10
To me sound quality comes in a distant second to fitament in a portable earphone. I've owned both, ended up selling my E2 warranty replacements after buying the E3's. The thing I like about the E3 is you can wear them "down" or "up" depending on what you're doing. The E2 tends to sag down a bit in gym use which is a little annoying (and dorky looking) but doesn't affect comfort. If you don't mind the dorky, "devil ear" looks of the E2 go with them. The foam tips seem to last forever and if you break them they are cheaper to replace. In contrast the, more expensive, E3's look normal when worn "down" yet still work "up and over" in gym applications.

Mar 15, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 10
I've used the Ety ER4S in the gym for the last 5 years (although I have been moving iron around in pointless generation of entropy for over 25 years). Occasionally I snag a leader on a bar (be careful walking past a Smith machine) but no worries otherwise. I tried the E2 (muddy is a good description) and the E5 (nasty sound and terrible fit for me). Since my curiosity always prevails over common sense I recently tried the Shure E3c. Clean bass and mid, but the highs are just plain missing. Oddly enough, adding a series resistance woke up the treble, and seemed to clarify the whole spectrum. Not Ety quality sound, but still quite nice. I prefer the buttoned down fit of the E3c in the gym, but I had to add a collar clip to help control the cable. I drop the cable down the back of my shirt, clip it off at the collar, and leave a bit of slack up to the cinch tube on the shure cable (tensioned at the back of my head). As long as I am careful to clear the clip, I can even do squats or military presses (behind the head) with this arrangement.

For the series resistor, RS sells an in line volume control for headphones. Turn up the volume on your portable, and attenuate with the RS control. The jump in detail is amazing. RS also has clips, in the cell phone section. The one for the Jabra takes 2 wires, and clips on above the splitter very nicely on the E3c.

Have fun.

gerG

Mar 15, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I'm sure I'm the only one who's expressed that opinion here.

It turns out that Shure also sells an inline attenuator: http://music1online.com/shpaleatfors.html
It seems to be the one that comes standard with the E5s.

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 10
In almost every case, people always seem to lean towards the E3 -- especially if it's your primary phones. If it was just for working out -- I would definitely recommend the E2.

I own the Ety ER-4's for most of my listening pleasure, but for the gym I grab the E2's. Some people say they're muddy, but to be honest, there is soooo much ambient noise (between the awful PA and the multitudes of machines) that I can't hear it. They have a bop to them that just makes working out great! (They also handle sweat better.)

If these were *only* for working out, I would not hesitate to recommend the E2's to you. But if you're also using them in the library, etc., perhaps it's best to step up to the E3's. The E3's are definitely more comfortable, less conspicuous, and will offer you more clarity. (IMO, though, they're just not as much fun.)

It will depend what is more important to you -- gym use or all-around. And also what you're listening to.... When I work out, I am a total basshead -- hence the E2's. But I have the Etys for my library listening and whatnot....

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Thank you all for the advice. I can see the advantages of the E2s for the gym, but I think I am going to spring for the E3s. My hope is that they will handle some of my non-gym listening and hold off upgrade-itis for a while. Also, the grey look matches my Karma well, and I like the idea of them being more discreet in the ears. I look like enough of an idiot in the gym as it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do like rock and other music with bass. Maybe I can ramp up the low register in my 5-band equalizer?

I love this place/I hate this place.
evil_smiley.gif

Bryan

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by otprof
Thank you all for the advice. I can see the advantages of the E2s for the gym, but I think I am going to spring for the E3s.

Sounds wonderful. I think you made the right choice. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you!

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I do like rock and other music with bass. Maybe I can ramp up the low register in my 5-band equalizer?

I've used the E2 and E3 with the Karma.

With the E2, everything was pushed forward in the image. As a result, mids were great and vocals stood out, but bass sounded artificial and lacked resonance, making it sound muddy, while highs were recessed. The overall feel was like listening to a compressed signal. Tweaking the EQ just threw these problems into sharper relief. Strong output, and good for walking/driving, but lacking in detail.

The E3s are much clearer, especially in the highs, and the mids are still strong. Bass sounds a bit recessed at first, but my perception is that it has more "breathing room" to resonate. On some electronic music, it sounds a bit thin, but (BIG difference), the E3s respond much better to equalization. A +2 boost on the two lower bands makes it nice and punchy when needed. Soundstage placement is perfect.

I've tried the Er6, but they seem somehow fatiguing. I've never had this problem with the E3s.

Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the encouraging words. I've ordered E3s from a local vendor who had to special order them for me. They should be here in a couple of days. [I could have them sooner from an internet store, but this guy made a good deal, and I like using local retailers.]

Come to me, E3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back