E2Cs outresolving or "too much can" for 96kbps aac?
Jan 14, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Please don't spread nonsense.

To late, chrisfromalbany has already said that 96kbs aac sounds the same as 192kbs mp3.

Jan 14, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
rolleyes.gif
AAC

This was MY favourite.
rolleyes.gif

Ian

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 21
AAC 96 kbps is nowhere near 192 LAME mp3. While it's true AAC is somewhat better than LAME VBR at low bitrates (< 128), but as bitrate gets higher the differences disappear. When you get to 192 kbps, AAC and LAME VBR mp3 are pretty much transparent for 99% of the population.

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 21
For crying out loud I think we've all got the message that perhaps chrisfromalbany has stated something rather incorrect. There's no need to go about sounding as if you're going to tell the teacher on him. Yeesh!

As for the original question before this became a finger pointing thread, e2c on a shuffle is good (very good all rounder earphone). I'd still go with other people here and say 96kb/s is a bit low (especially for classical) and perhaps er6i (or er6's) are a better option, although they will reveal more on how bad 96kb/s actually sounds than the e2c's.... if Im making any sense here.

If the only thing stopping you from getting the e2c's is the question of if it's overkill, just buy them and slightly future proof yourself or your dad for when/if you get something with more space (and hence you can rip to higher quality)..... Then run and never come back to this place, it has.... Effects on peoples wallets
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: BTW nice find CookieFactory, I personally never thought that WMA was anything worth listening to but it seems Microsoft has finally decided to lift it's game (according these results)... I might have to go and do some experimenting myself now.

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
In fact, a just concluded multiformat, DBT test comparing 128 bitrate music files shows there is no difference between LAME and AAC at 128 kbps.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=40607

Or rather that at ~135 kbps all current encoders are "good enough", which is respectable. Gone are the days when 128 kbps MP3s sucked. Good news for flash player users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back