E2cs or ER-6is?
Nov 27, 2004 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JCYC5

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for something to go with an unamped iPod... (might get/build an amp later on though)

I mostly listen to...everything, really. I've been known to listen to Vivaldi followed by Metallica, then Jeff Buckley, followed by Jet... well, you get the idea...

Which would you guys pick? the ER-6i or the E2cs?

(I have the Sony EX71s and can mod the E2cs at no cost
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I have a pair of the Sony ex51s and a pair of the E2cs. In that compairison i like the E2C a lot more. i had a pair of the ER-6(no i) for a few weeks but sent them back because the "definition" was making my ears hurt. I'm not a fan of treble.

From what i've read the Shures have a lot more bass than the Ety (even more so since, initially you don't intend to be amping them).

I assume that you have the Sony 71s because of their bass response, if this assumption is correct then it seems that the lack of bass in the er6is and the presence of bass in the E2cs would steer you toward the Shures.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 10
A while back i was counseled out of buying the E3cs and into the E2cs because i wanted strong bass (i have a pair of the Beyer 770s). Sometimes i get the feeling that the people who like real strong bass are looked down upon as savages, by...others.
wink.gif

The ER6is are reputed to be top notch headphones, just not as strong in the bass range.

Who are you thinking about purchasing them from? As i'm sure you know, Headphone.com offers a 30 day return policy. Both Amazon and Headphone.com have them for $99.

I'm not sure if it exists or not, but i once heard that Headphone.com offered a 10% discount for Head-Fi.org'ers who had 100+ posts, but someone else would have to confirm that.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I think the E2cs are a good match for the iPod unequalized... they don't sound nearly as thin and weak as the Etys do without equalization.

(I speak of E2cs vs. ER-4Ps, having never heard ER-6i before.)

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
A while back i was counseled out of buying the E3cs and into the E2cs because i wanted strong bass (i have a pair of the Beyer 770s). Sometimes i get the feeling that the people who like real strong bass are looked down upon as savages, by...others.
wink.gif

The ER6is are reputed to be top notch headphones, just not as strong in the bass range.

Who are you thinking about purchasing them from? As i'm sure you know, Headphone.com offers a 30 day return policy. Both Amazon and Headphone.com have them for $99.

I'm not sure if it exists or not, but i once heard that Headphone.com offered a 10% discount for Head-Fi.org'ers who had 100+ posts, but someone else would have to confirm that.

Hmm... I'm thinking of buying them locally here... They retail for about $80USD... But shops here don't usually have return policies of anysort apart from exchanging a broken product for a new one...

So I really won't be able to test the 6i against the E2c...

Crimsonadam, do you like your E2cs? What music do you listen to with them?

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I like my E2cs, they're not as bassy as my Beyer 770s (what is?), but bassier than any Etys i've heard (ER6) and are better all round than my moded EX51. They're the best in ear headphone or canalphone that i've heard (never heard the E5c). I was wedded to the frequencie response of the old Sony 848's, but those are but a faint memory right now. Except for when i use them as my junker phones.
icon10.gif

I'm using them right now, listening to my Dell DJ. So we went from John Mayer, to Rush, to Depeche Mode to Minus The Bear to Faith No More, to Tears For Fears to Kate Bush now the techno remix of The Outfield's "Your Love" and of course some David Sylvian. So that's a lot of new wave rock (more or less). But i've got some real nice Arvo Part, minimal/classical (strings mostly) stuff that i really love on these headphones. When the source is good and the MP3 rip is done correctly, these phones can sound really big.

I modded mine by putting some Earplanes tips on them instead of the silicone or foam tips that come with them. Essentially its a tri flange tip that looks like the Ety tips. The sound (in my ear) is a log better, it's more comfortable than the silicone tips and the bass response is bigger.

It took me quite a while to get putting them in and how far in to put them, and that sort of thing right. But i'm getting close to perfect and they sound better every time i use them.

As far as comfort i've fallen asleep with them in a couple of times and though i eventually notice them at some point in the night and remove them, i never wake up screaming in pain.

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
I modded mine by putting some Earplanes tips on them instead of the silicone or foam tips that come with them. Essentially its a tri flange tip that looks like the Ety tips. The sound (in my ear) is a log better, it's more comfortable than the silicone tips and the bass response is bigger.

It took me quite a while to get putting them in and how far in to put them, and that sort of thing right. But i'm getting close to perfect and they sound better every time i use them.

As far as comfort i've fallen asleep with them in a couple of times and though i eventually notice them at some point in the night and remove them, i never wake up screaming in pain.

Earplane tips? Where can I get those? Or would using the EX51/71 tips as mentioned here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=e2c+mod sound better?

Hmm... the wiring of the E2c looks nice and fancy... and it looks comfortable!

I'm going to get these then
etysmile.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 10
You can get Earplanes at a lot drug stores back by all the ear plugs and such.
There's a couple of sites that describe the process (with elaborations).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=earplanes

http://webpages.charter.net/silverspurs21/4flange.pdf

My version has the end of the cyllinder a bit further away from the sound opening of the earplane, than is probably suggested. But that's part of the fun. Little tweaks here and there can change the sound till you're 100% satisfied, and indeed they're about $7, that's no so much that it can never be justified.

One of these days i'll take a picture of mine and figure out some way to post them and then everyone can be nonplussed by the idea that i stole from someone else.

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 10
I as going through the same thing when I got my 4g iPod. Went with the e2cs, as the iPod is generally regarded as "flat" and I like a decent amount of low end. The e2cs sound great with the iPod and are a great match for this player. I know the er6i's are designed for the iPod, but it was nearly a $140 proposition to just test. And I wasn't impressed with all the reviews that noted the thin cord - I'm rough on my portable stuff.

I think you'll be quite happy with the E2cs on the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back