E2C vs EX81 sanity check
Jun 20, 2005 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
Let me say that I'm no audiophile but after doing some more testing with my new e2c and ex81 I'm finding that the e2c are very lacking. From my research I've read that Shure makes excellent products so I feel like that maybe I'm missing something. But for a while I've been trying to figure out what was missing in the e2c and I think it's the almost total absense of base. I also think there is some kind of echo or tunnel effect going on with the e2c that I at first thought was just canal phones but is not found on the ex81 (perhaps it's the isolation factor as the ex81 don't isolate as much as the e2c).

What has me questioning my sanity is that I can understand how earbuds could have trouble when compared to a full headphone (I used my Sennheiser 420s), but I can't understand how 1 earbud can deliver bass and the other can't. Especially when the e2c is about twice the price of the ex81. I will admit the ex81 can be muddy at times but at least I can find myself bobbing my head to the bass beat with them on where I don't catch myself doing with the e2c.

Since I'm not an expert I keep thinking it must be me so I wanted to do a sanity check with others. I was feeling good about my e2c purchase thinking it was a nice slow way to make my way into world of premium headphones. But when something for half the price and available at Best Buy appears to be better I question my hearing ability to notice a difference in quality.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Sounds like a classic case of not getting a proper seal with the Shures.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, it's obvious that you like bass, and it's not a crime to do so. The Sony's are more bass prominent, and depending on the music you listen to, that can be an advantage. Most people feel the Shure's represent more closely to what you *are supposed to hear*.

I agree, with the above, check your seal too just to be Shure. Use the foams for best seal.

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 11
i like the ex81 over the e2c too. i agree that the e2c has a 'tunnel sound', like you were listening to music from the end of a tube, which is one of the reasons why i do not like the e2c.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Try the new ultra-soft flex sleeves.........Makes world of difference to me, sound-wise and comfort-wise.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i like the ex81 over the e2c too. i agree that the e2c has a 'tunnel sound', like you were listening to music from the end of a tube, which is one of the reasons why i do not like the e2c.

X3.
And I can make my ex81 to have that "tunnel sound" with SRS WOW on my H10
icon10.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quirks with the e2c...
Yes they NEED a good seal.
Farther in the tube goes into your ear the more the bass resonates and treble clears up.
They benefeit from a long burn in session, AMPED. I did mine for 100 hours on loud music and sine waves. They need to be amped, unless your player has an unusually high current headphone out.
IMHO you havent heard the e2c till you hear them amped by a high current circuit. Sub bass extends/resonates, mids clear up and treble brightens. Clarity across the board improves with an amp.

Meet the above criteria and they will surprise you... very balanced sound. Sub bass extends but is not bloated. Unamped & out of the box they pretty much sound as you describe. If you add a poor seal on top of that.... YUK!!

IMHO of course.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 11
I never considered myself a bass fanatic. In reality, I felt the the e2c were far from accurate when compared to the ex81. But I will admit I was second guessing myself. The only way to settle the debate between the buds was to grab my Senn 420s and see what things sounded like with them. Thats when I started to notice the absense of base in the e2c.

But it never occured to me that the fit could be causing a problem. I'm using the smallest plastic buds that came with the package. I thought the smaller ones would be best since my ears aren't that big (as far as I know). I tried the provided foam buds but they felt very fragile in my clumsy fingers so I didn't give them much of a test. I am very interested to try them again though.

Sadly I don't think I'll be testing or using an amp anytime soon. This is my first intro to daps and I think I need try it a while before I change things up. I do find that the e2c are much more efficent than the ex81. I think my dap goes up to 25. If my ex81 are on 12 the e2c will probably be on 8 or lower.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm eager to try the foam buds and see if that changes things. I would have never thought of that on my own.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Yep it's not just the isolation, the e2cs are extremely efficient IME also. EX81s are boomier in the bass (not muddier, just boomier which is good for me) and sound more musical and upfront in presentation (with a hint of +eq in the mids).

-

Btw don't let the un-cleanliness idea of the foamies puts you off - a little bit of soap and water and they look new again.

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 11
FWIW, I think switching to the foam pads is making a big difference. I seem to get more base and I don't think I can spot the echo or tunnel effect anymore. I would prefer to use the plastic pads as they are easier to put in and out, and because they don't need to be replaced, but if my testing keeps going this way it will be hard to stay away from the foam.

Very strange. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back