E2c user looking to upgrade.
Jun 19, 2007 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

G3rain1

New Head-Fier
Like many in my situation I've narrowed it down to the E4c and ER-4. I'm leaning to wards the ER-4 but there are several issues that make me hesitant, and I'd like some help deciding. Now Ive read through the forum and already know a lot of the comparisons between the two. But what I want to know is how they stack up to E2c.

My top priority would be accurate sound reproduction, and I gather the ER-4 are better in that regard, but I wory about their claimed lack of base. I listen to lots of Metal. Megadeth, Metallica, Disturbed. So a lack of base is a problem for me. But I'm not one for tons of base anyway, so long as its solid and clear I'm ok. I've read the same complaints about lack of base on the E2c, but I found them to bu unfounded. So if the ER-4 has better or equal base to E2c thats enough for me. I also listen to clasical as well but not as often and I know the ER-4 are Ideal for that.

My other concern is one of durability. I under stand that the E4c are more dutrable, but are the ER-4 good enough. I use them mostly while on the train and walking and would probably have them dangling from my neck for about 8 hours a day which is how I use my E2c. So are these going to fall apart on me?

If I do decide to go with my fall back, the E4c, I have a few questions about them.

One is that the mid rang is said to "jump out" on them. This concerns me because I'd like an even representation across the spectrum. Is this the same sonic signature as the E2c since their from the same manufacture?

Also It always bothered me that I had to wear my headphone by warping the wire around my ear. All Shure products are designed to be worn this way, and I found it impossible to wear my E2c with the wire straight down and maintain a good seal. The E4c are a lot smaller so maybe I can manage it with them, anyone know if this can be done?

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They won't fall apart as long as you keep them in a hard case or in your ears.

The signature is a little different from the E2c's, the E4c's are neutral, and they can be worn down.

How do you mean neutral?

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 8
No, whats the Kramer mod? Though my reasons for upgrade aren't purely audio quality. I think the E2c are to big and I don't like how I can't wear them with the wire down. Also the cord broke around the ear, I replaced them but I read lots of people had this problem with the E2c and I fear it will just happen again.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 8
I use the Shure SE 310, and I will say it is wonderful IMHO.

They also have the benefit of being able to be used ear wrapped OR directly into the ear- I use them like that at work, when I know that somebody may tap me on the shoulder (no money for the push to hear yet)...

So, consider these. They still CAN wrap, but it gives you the choice.

(I know these are not on your option list, I was just mentioning) I loved my E2c's!

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I just did a quick comparison of the E2Cs and the ER-4Ps for bass. Test track was "Saint John" by Cold War Kids; the player was the Archos AV500. To my ears, the amount of bass on the E2Cs and ER-4Ps is very similar, with the E2Cs having perhaps a little more bass. However, the bass on the E2Cs is less defined and not really separated from the lower mids. The bass on the ER-4Ps is clearer and more defined with a better separation from the mids and a better soundstage. I don't have (and have never heard) the E4Cs.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAFB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a quick comparison of the E2Cs and the ER-4Ps for bass. Test track was "Saint John" by Cold War Kids; the player was the Archos AV500. To my ears, the amount of bass on the E2Cs and ER-4Ps is very similar, with the E2Cs having perhaps a little more bass. However, the bass on the E2Cs is less defined and not really separated from the lower mids. The bass on the ER-4Ps is clearer and more defined with a better separation from the mids and a better soundstage. I don't have (and have never heard) the E4Cs.

Ok thanks. Good comparison and explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back