E2c or MDR-EX81
Apr 1, 2005 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i am looking at purchasing some new canal phones, and i'm probably going to go with the e2c's (because of price and from what i've read a lot of ppl think they're O.k....with the right eq etc.)

However, i was reading the ipod buyers guide and it rated the e2c's a B....fair enuf, compared with the UE-10s of this world and so on
etysmile.gif
. But it gave the Sony MDR-EX81's an A along with the UE-10 if i recall correctly.

Just wondering, what do you all thing? Sony MDR-EX81 or Shure e2c?

Thanks for any opinions

Alucrep

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by alucrep
Hi, i am looking at purchasing some new canal phones, and i'm probably going to go with the e2c's (because of price and from what i've read a lot of ppl think they're O.k....with the right eq etc.)

However, i was reading the ipod buyers guide and it rated the e2c's a B....fair enuf, compared with the UE-10s of this world and so on
etysmile.gif
. But it gave the Sony MDR-EX81's an A along with the UE-10 if i recall correctly.

Just wondering, what do you all thing? Sony MDR-EX81 or Shure e2c?

Thanks for any opinions

Alucrep

I would personally choose the ex81 (Actually I'm getting one) because it is cheaper and have less microphonics, but if you can afford both, go for the e2cs.

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 37
I would consider the amount of isolation you are looking for. I know that that (depending on the shape of your canal) the e2c generally seals much better then the sony (also depemding on the tips you use) where as the ex81/71/51 does not. I personally don't think it is to safe walk around ( i live in downtown Montreal) with the e2c. I do walk around with the 51's though as i find they don't seal as well giving me a beter sense of my surroundings.

So depends on your application. Overall i thing the e2c sounds much better then the sony ex51 ( i'm guessing it sounds the same as the ex81 too) also a lot better built with a great guarentee.

I hope this helps

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 37
Yeh, thanks guys, i'm still leaning toward to e2c...i listen to my ipod say on train/plane/buses....so yeh i dont really walk around much whilst i have it on...so yeh, but keep the thoughts coming...

Thanks

Apr 2, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 37
I'm hoping the e2c lives up to my (low) expectations. I figured, hey, it's only 70 bucks, gotta try canalphones sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

As an aside, what's wrong with not hearing your surroundings? I love it. I can ignore:

Stupid people
Stupid drivers
Stupid animals
Annoying "gangsters"
Noisy little kids
the TV
etc..

biggrin.gif
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Not to mention that waiting is no longer a problem. "The doctor can't see me for another half hour? Sweet, a few more songs!!"

Besides, if you die from a truck hitting you that you couldn't hear... at least you died HAPPY. Many people don't get that luxury, man. Think about it
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 37
Yeh, nice..i'd say my expectations are quite low, becuase before this i was using ipod phones!!!! OMG...lol anyway they're breaking...time to move one...right along now

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
I would consider the amount of isolation you are looking for. I know that that (depending on the shape of your canal) the e2c generally seals much better then the sony (also depemding on the tips you use) where as the ex81/71/51 does not. I personally don't think it is to safe walk around ( i live in downtown Montreal) with the e2c. I do walk around with the 51's though as i find they don't seal as well giving me a beter sense of my surroundings.

So depends on your application. Overall i thing the e2c sounds much better then the sony ex51 ( i'm guessing it sounds the same as the ex81 too) also a lot better built with a great guarentee.

I hope this helps

The ex81 doesn't have same or similar sound to ex51 or 71. In fact, I hear that it is like e2c. Much more controlled bass, more mids and highs.... Well I think it still depends on the buyer.

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 37
Yeh, thanks....i probably wont be trying them....thats the thing...i haven't realy looked around here much.....i suppose i could find them in a shop, try them and order elsewhere..but i'm probably just giong to get off ebay or here or wherever...to save costs...

Thanks

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 37
Yeah, the EX-81s sound nothing like the EX-51/71. The EX-51/71 has been described as SOLAR bright, and during the time that I had them I would agree with that. The EX-81s are warmer, but still a little bright. They are really fun phones with great groove if you ask me. I really think that the 81 blows the E2c out of the water across the board. I didn't like the E2c at all. I moved up to the E3c right away and I loved them. The E2c does seal tighter than the EX series, but the EX series isn't designed to seal like the Shures. They seal with much less pressure, but they also block out a bit less noise.

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 37
Fair enough...interesting...just think maybe the e3c's are out of my price rang right at this moment.

Thanks for that tho Ingo

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 37
where's the best place to buy black ex-81's? i dont care if its online or in store.

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
where's the best place to buy black ex-81's? i dont care if its online or in store.

I dont know...I've been searching quite a bit, the best place oyu can get is eBay, then... the Sony retail stores.

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
Here is definitely the best place to get the EX81's in white:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...sp?dpno=528492

Remember EX81SL (Japanese) will have the short cort with extension, and EX81LP (US, recently released) has normal length cord.

White ones are easy to find. i need black, anyone else find out where to get em? i only found 2 sellers at ebay who were selling the black ones with a buy it now option, and the sony store is selling them for 60 bucks inc. shipping and tax.

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

White ones are easy to find. i need black, anyone else find out where to get em? i only found 2 sellers at ebay who were selling the black ones with a buy it now option.

I got mine from a guy in Singapore for $50 shipped in the buy/sale forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back