E2C Mod Gone Bad...Careful
Nov 8, 2005 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Couldn't find the original thread on this mod (about shortening the tips).

I used an x-acto knife. Then to even up the cut I filed down more with a coarse nail file (while upside down). Well...I ended up taking off more than intended. Probably at least 1/8th. Then the foamies didn't fit quite right so I took off 1/8th off of those too.

The change definitely tamed down the bass a bit. The highs are slightly better but a little scratchy and whatever little soundstage that existed with these is pretty much gone now. I'm sure the average guy on the street would say these still sound awesome but I wish I hadn't done it. But it's okay, they were a year and half old and now it gives me more reason to save harder for the Super 5 EB's.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 4
Sorry to hear that the kramermod went bad. Good for you to have the courage to try the mod, though! Ya win some, ya lose some, and this way you have an excuse for the upgrade.
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah... sorry about that
frown.gif
frown.gif
... Headphone mods are a touchy thing. One wrong move and you can destroy a 100% functional headphone.

For every one of my mod threads, you could post a dozen "mod gone bad" threads. Its a real double edged sword. Thats why I am very hesitant to recable my MS2.

Garrett

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Not a big deal as I have gotten plenty of enjoyment with them. But there is a happy ending to this experiment.

I put a new pair of medium foamies back on and these things kick a** now. They sound much more like you described. I should have realized that the tips (or the foamies in this case) do have a big effect on the sound. A definite improvement over the original design.

Another satisfied customer. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back