e2c initial problems
Apr 5, 2005 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

november_break

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just tested my e2c; unfortunately they sound no better than the supplied ones (must say the supplied ones are not bad).

Am I just inserting them wrong? Any tips? How to tell if they are rightly inserted?

Or is the quality just as good as the iriver phones?

thank you!

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by november_break
Hi, I just tested my e2c; unfortunately they sound no better than the supplied ones (must say the supplied ones are not bad).

Am I just inserting them wrong? Any tips? How to tell if they are rightly inserted?

thank you!

I can't comment on the e2c's, but IRiver included buds are actually rebranded Sennheiser MX400s, iirc. They sound great for regular earbuds, and are definitely not el cheapos. (I also got them from an IRiver purchase).

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 10
I think mx300 comes with irivers? Either way I have both, and I must say the E2c are more well-defined, clearer and less muddy.

Maybe you haven't got a good seal yet..

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by november_break

thank you!

You'll know when you have a good seal as the bass will be present......poor seal=no bass. Of all the canalphones I've tried, the E2c is the most difficult to acheive a good seal (for me). I remember reading the manual and looking in the mirror to see if I had them in correctly. The conical backs should face the rear of your ear. To make matters worse, those hard, silicon tips are not very liable.
Have you tried the foamies yet? They should give you a good seal without too much difficulty, as the foam will expand to your ear canal's shape.
I ordered the ultra-soft flex tips yesterday from Shure. Hopefully they will increase the usability of these things, as I actually like the smooth, somehat rolled off highs, particularly on poorly recorded material.
Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm new to the headphone game and recently purchased a Creative Zen Nomad with KSC-75s and Shure E2Cs, so that's all I have to compare. I would also guess seal is the issue. I was originally disappointed in the sound, bass especially, while thinking I was getting a good seal, only to later find out I needed a little more practice inserting them. For me, the foamies are comfortable but don't seal as well - I honestly am still not sure I'm using them right. The silicone seal well when used properly, but the seal is very touchy and inconsistent in my experience. However, when they're right, that's my favorite set up. I ordered some soft sleeves to try out and I'm hoping they're an improvment.

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 10
You'll be very pleased with the soft sleeves, Can get mine in in less then 10 seconds, and sounds as good if not better then for foamies when inserted well.

These should sound much better then ones you got with your player, even though they are Mx400's rebranded as you said. You should notice a very sudden change in sound you hear, and if you listen to a pop or rock song with constant music, you shouldn't hear anything ANYTHING else.

First time i listened to mine i couldn't stand them in my ear, but once you break them in and burn them in they sound great to me.
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 10
i had the same experience with my shure e2c's, i went to these from sony's behind the head style headphones. and personally, i felt i was ripped off for being $99. After 2 weeks, boy did my opinions change.... maybe it was burning in, the way i started inserting them to create a better seal, or just the switching of diff tips. The bass was there and started to show well, and sounded great. Even now, after countless hundreds of hours, I am sometimes still impressed by the experience i get from them... but now going for something more, like a e5c.

I havent tried the ultra soft tips, but i have used every tip given in the package for about a week each to test them out. I decided ultimately with the foam, because of the way it feels after a while in that i barely notice its there and the ease with putting it on. As for isolation, i think all tips work well if you know how to place it in right, for foams provided a much easier use. Also, i found the foams to provide better bass with whichever position they were in my ear, for the others, they were picky in how they were for me to hear the bass well.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 10
When I first got my E2Cs, I thought they sounded thin and could not believe why people liked them. No matter how I jammed them in my ears, they still sounded thin. Then...I went to the web site and followed their insertion instructions and it made all the difference in the world. I really like them and a good seal makes a difference.

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 10
I think most people are trying to shove these in there ears and not squish them and roll them then put them in there and let them expand and get a nice good seal. As I saw many of my friends do...I thought the e2c's were very excellent with my Creative Zen Micro. I love the isolation. Just today i was listening in class and like half of my friends were talking to me(they said they were) and i couldnt hear any of them, and i didnt have to have the volume way up like u do with others. And they are very comfortable to me, i just use them like stock buds though i dont put them around my ears I just squish and stick them in my ear and hold for like 10 secs for each ear to get a nice seal. O it was a great step up from what I was using before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back