E2c E3c vs ER6 ER6i - others?
Mar 12, 2005 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

git20

New Head-Fier
I've searched the archives, but have a specific question and am looking for a recommendation.

The noise isolation is very important for me because these phones will be used with an MP3 mainly on a motorcycle and for listening in loud environments. Etymotic attenuation is well documented but I haven't found it for the Shure so I don't know if that is as much a priority with those. Something around 20db is fine for me.

As far as sound, I am concerned about bass response, but haven't listened to any of these so I don't know if they're adequate.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 11
so, so much on this...i'll try to sum it up a little bit in my opinion...

- obligatory - bad idea to wear isolating earphones on a motorcycle, very bad idea.

with that out of the way...

- since it is the law to wear a helmet, the etys are simply out of the question, due to their ergonomics. there is just no way you can wear them with a helmet. they also do not have that much bass.

- the e3's are better (much better) ergonomically, but they have zero bass.

- the e2's are probably the best phones to wear with a helmet on your head, cause they stick out the least of the bunch, barely at all, since they sit in your ear for the most part. their sound is kind of muddy, but they have bass.

- haven't heard the er6i, but they are not ergonomically as good for your situation as the e2. they also do not have as much bass as the e2.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
- obligatory - bad idea to wear isolating earphones on a motorcycle, very bad idea.

Oh? How is that? Most motorcyclists wear earplugs because otherwise its very hard on your hearing. Dont even try the distraction argument, there are a thousand things people in cars do that are far FAR worse. Its very hard to get distracted while riding a motorcycle anyway.
Quote:

- since it is the law to wear a helmet, the etys are simply out of the question, due to their ergonomics.

Actually, its not the law in much of the US, and at least one user here uses his ER4s under his helmet, and the ER6(i)s dont look like they stick out as much.
Quote:

The difference is very small, they still stick out a fair amount.
Quote:

- the e2's are probably the best phones to wear with a helmet on your head, cause they stick out the least of the bunch, barely at all, since they sit in your ear for the most part. their sound is kind of muddy, but they have bass.

This I'd agree with. Go with the E2.
Quote:

- haven't heard the er6i, but they are not ergonomically as good for your situation as the e2. they also do not have as much bass as the e2.

Thanks for telling us what they sound like since you haven't heard them.

jesse

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 11
I would never use canalphones in a motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is not moving. Out of those three however I only heard 6i and E3. E3s have more bass and better sound specially if you can equalize and balance the sound. With the wind I think you'll hardly hear any bass out of the 6i.

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 11
wow, bitterness. anyway, if you are going to be wearing a helmet, I'm not sure if you'll be able to wear the e2c's. I can't comment on any of the other 'phones since I've never had them, but when I posted a thread asking about the size of the e2c's (before I got them), someone posted this response:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaX
As for sound the Shure's are better, being more balanced and bass that is lower and more extended compared to the loose and bloated bass on the EX71's. I have had my EX71's for over a year and they work good under my Arai helmet and the E2c's are too big to go under the helmet on the motorcycle.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101164

Of course, that's just this guy and may be more of a reflection of his ears or his helmet, but thought I'd throw this in.

I think all of them have around the same isolation.
As far as I know, the e2c's have the most bass of any of the listed. canalphones, though. If you want more you'll have to get into the dual driver ($200++) canalphones.

edit: reading over my thread, I think maybe you should look into the ex71's or the koss plug. They might not isolate quite as much, but will have much more (but not as good) bass. Being on a motorcycle will likely suck a lot of the bass out, and you might not hear any of it with the shure's or ety's.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I disagree. (sorry).

I'm very pleased with my E3C's.

With the right fitting plugs, the bass is accurate and plentifull.

Not as much as a set of EX70's or 71's (they have too much imho) but enough to satisfy me, and I'm into Jungle/Drum & Bass, UK Garage and Hip Hop!!

But either way, I wouldn't ever recommend a set to someone wanting to ride a motorcycle with them in. That's suicide!

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 11
the ER6i basically disappears into my ears. the transducer housing is VERY small, and they are inserted very deep. the E3c and the E2c will probably stick out too far for use with a helmet.

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, toaster. I'm very happy with the amount of bass from my E3's, and I used to have E2c's.

And, with me at least, the E2c's did rest in my ear, but I couldn't lay on a pillow comfortably, which is akin to wearing a helmet, I guess. With my E3's, just like EdipisReks, they just disappear in my ears. The whole tip/driver, and everything goes way into my ear canal. If you were to look at me from the front, all you would see would be 1-2 centimeters of wire coming up from behind that... flap... piece of skin in the front of the ear. They are VERY comfortable. They don't go in like all of the pictures that you see on the internet, if you were wondering.

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Whee, I have been quoted!

As for it being dangerous to have music going on a motorcycle, is it dangerous for you to have your car stereo thumping?

Motor/wind noise is very loud on a motorcycle. Just as a curiousity I took my decibel meter with me on the bike today and at 55mph on my bike (Ducati Monster 620) it was between 95-110db. I had it positioned behind the little fairing zip tied to the triple clamp. As you go faster the wind noise is increased. That said I usually wear ear plugs under my helmet, and any long time rider will likely say the same. Long term exposure to that noise level is bad for your ears.

I usually only take the canalphones when I am going for a long ride and would like some music besides the exhaust note
icon10.gif

I have small ears, so the only earphones that I can get on under my snug fitting helmet are the EX71's. The E2c's poke out, and the ER-6i's do as well. I am not concerned about the audio quality because I am not really listening to the music, it is background anyway.

I have a splitter that I put in that lets me route the communicator through my earphones, so group rides are better now as well.

Watch for the cagers and ride safe.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 11
I normally ride with reusable ear plugs that look a lot like the er6i. My helmet liner is removable and I can easily remove a little styrofoam in that area to make the headphones fit. These would also be for relaxing at the race track in a tent at night (I wouldn't use these while riding on the track), which is a very noisy listening environment. Obviously, the noise isolation will allow me to listen at a much lower volume than otherwise - and without a lot of the distractions. Thanks for the input so far.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back