e2c e3c e2 e3 ER-6i or what??
Oct 27, 2006 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

follett88

New Head-Fier
wich one of these is the best one?
e2? e3? e2c? e3c ER-6i CX300? other one?

and... what is the different from e2-e2c (e3-e3c)

that "c" means? what does it change?

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 19
How will you be using them -- for example, will you need isolation, as for bus, train or plane travel? Or do you want just an everyday kind of earphone that provides pretty good sound and that can stand up to getting thrown into a backpack or briefcase on a regular basis?

Isolaters would generally cost more, and might sound underwhelming (or "un-fun") at first, but something like the Etymotics ER-6i's would really add to your commute or travel experience. The Ety's look insubstantial and don't pack as much boomy bass as many consumers have come to expect lately, but they reveal things in your favorite music you'll be noticing for the first time while blocking out much of the outside noise. These come in white or black, and can be found on the Web at a variety of prices, some of them excellent.

I'm sad to no longer recommend the Shure E3/E3C's (I don't believe there's any sonic difference -- perhaps just a color or model designation). The Etymotics ER-6i's sound better, isolate better and cost less (to my ears -- of course, your mileage may vary).

At a lower price point, you can choose The Sennheiser earbuds [edit: canal phones, actually], and I recommend the cheaper Creative EP 630's, which are virtually the same thing (check threads for that endless debate). The Creatives are an excellent buy, and while they do have some cord microphonics (I don't know whether the Sennheiser version does), they would be nice to have -- either as a main pair or a backup pair.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 19
I have owned both the E2c and the E3c and in my opinion the E3c is a much better headphone (both sound better and is more comfortable, E2c is too bulky for me) and is well worth the extra money over the E2c. The E3c does sound a bit under-whelming at first since it doesn't have the kind of SLAM to the bass as the last poster mentioned, but it's an acquired taste and it's great if you like to hear details... the isolation is impressive if you haven't tried IEMs before.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah -- the E2's look huge, but the E3's are really quite compact. I have both the E3's and the Etymotics. I had thought the Shure's heavier cord would be an advantage over the seemingly frail Ety cords, but I have come to prefer the "ultra-portability" of the Etys over the "significant portability" of the Shures. A matter of personal preference, I know. (I do wish I had gone the extra mile and gotten the E4's instead of the E3's, but that's another story, and another price point.)

Whatever IEM you might get, the sound (and possibly fit) at first would take some getting used to. Canal phones are less "fussy" and should be easier to adapt to ... and something about the lower price makes it easier to accept any disappointments, unlike with IEM's, where expectations might run a bit high.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Altec Lansing iM716, or 616 if you don't have the cash for the 716.

The iM series is about as full-range and complete you can get for the price point.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
How will you be using them -- for example, will you need isolation, as for bus, train or plane travel? Or do you want just an everyday kind of earphone that provides pretty good sound and that can stand up to getting thrown into a backpack or briefcase on a regular basis?

Isolaters would generally cost more, and might sound underwhelming (or "un-fun") at first, but something like the Etymotics ER-6i's would really add to your commute or travel experience. The Ety's look insubstantial and don't pack as much boomy bass as many consumers have come to expect lately, but they reveal things in your favorite music you'll be noticing for the first time while blocking out much of the outside noise. These come in white or black, and can be found on the Web at a variety of prices, some of them excellent.

I'm sad to no longer recommend the Shure E3/E3C's (I don't believe there's any sonic difference -- perhaps just a color or model designation). The Etymotics ER-6i's sound better, isolate better and cost less (to my ears -- of course, your mileage may vary).

At a lower price point, you can choose The Sennheiser earbuds [edit: canal phones, actually], and I recommend the cheaper Creative EP 630's, which are virtually the same thing (check threads for that endless debate). The Creatives are an excellent buy, and while they do have some cord microphonics (I don't know whether the Sennheiser version does), they would be nice to have -- either as a main pair or a backup pair.

so e2c are worse then er-6i??
i am talking abount sound quality...

and ... there is a great difference between e2c and cp-635??

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 19
E2 and ER-6i are very different.

E2: Fun, full sound, loose, slammin' bass, but somewhat rolled off highs.

ER-6i: Still somewhat fun, but a much tighter and articulate sound. Bass not nearly as booming but everything is much more controlled. Much more comfortable too.

If it was one over the other for Ipod use, I would definitely choose the ER-6i. They don't look like much but they are very nice sounding.

Can't recommend E3. To me it's all midrange and not much else. E4 is a huge upgrade for $180 if you can swing that. It is an E3 with significantly more bass and treble.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 19
"there is a great difference between e2c and cp-635??"

Probably mostly in price. I haven't heard the E2's, but I would guess they're not all that different. (Just an opinion, based on only a guess.) The E2's would isolate outside noise more, if that's important to you; they would also be larger (and Shure has an excellent reputation for customer service). With the Creative EP 630's (or any similar canal phones), you can "drown out" most outside sound by playing them louder, but they don't truly isolate outside noise like an earplug, the way an IEM would (and the E2's are at the lower level of the IEM category).

The E2's and the EP 630's would both have a "fun" sound, if that helps any.

Oct 28, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 19
So you're not even considering the Altec Lansing iM series? IMO the iM716 handily outperforms the E2C and ER6i.

ER6i is a low-impedance version of the ER6 that can be driven from portables. Its primary differences include tri-flange included default tips instead of bi-flange (ER6), along with the lower impedance.

Oct 28, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
So you're not even considering the Altec Lansing iM series? IMO the iM716 handily outperforms the E2C and ER6i.

it costs too much ... now i dont know ... i am considering... er6 er6i and e2c... for my zen micro...
and i dont know wich is the best one
biggrin.gif

oh ... now i've seen another product... um1... so... someone is able to tell me the best from um1, er6, er6i, e2c??
biggrin.gif
thanks

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 19
I own both a UM-1 and an E2. I prefer the UM-1 and would recommend it over the E2. It has decent bass response without the rolled off high end of the E2. The only thing I don't like about the UM-1 is that the cord is much lighter than the Shure E-series, and gets tangled easily.

By the way, the difference between the E2 and E2c is that E2c is the "consumer" version. My E2 was part of a Shure wireless in-ear monitor package. The E2c is the same thing, but packaged for consumers. As far as I know, the E2 and the E2c are identical. The only difference between the E3 and the E3c is that the E3 is grey while the E3c is white. Likewise, the E4 is dark grey, while the E4c is white. Sonically, the "c" versions are the same as their non-"c" counterparts.

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 19
Well I can say I just received my Er6i's, and am simply amazed by them....I find the tri-flang extremely comfortable, and I realize I need to clean my ears
rs1smile.gif
. It's a little weird because I can't hear outside noises (like my keyboard typing which is usually extremely loud), but I can hear myself swalowing (all isolators are like this, just saying I can make a good seal with the flangs).

Bass is a little weak, even with a seal (actually, not "weak", just not emphasised). Paired with a PA2V2 though, it sounds simply amazing...the bass is the perfect amount, and you're really submerged into the music...nothing seems overpowering, and as a not so expert opinion, I love them...(I bought a shure case to carry them, the standard case is pitiful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back