E2c Dark Green Liquid
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

huhwhat

Head-Fier
I got some JVC Marshmallows today, played around with them and decided to try using it with my Shure E2c rubber sleeves. When I took out my E2c, I found that part of the cable near one of the driver unit is oozing some dark green liquid that stained my hands. When I wiped them away, I saw cracks on the cable themselves.

These babies were bought in 2005, I haven't used them regularly for quite a few months and I've always kept them stored nicely in the provided clamshell case. so I didn't expect them to break so quickly. Am I the only E2c owner with this problem?

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 16
be greatful you got almost 2 years out of them.

mine broke after 6-9 months (?)

Is your warranty still good?

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 16
it's a known issue at Shure to have the e2c cables crack and fall apart. From what i understand it has to do with moisture on the cables. I went through two pairs and then complained to Shure about the quality and they sent me a pair of e3c so i would certainly raise the issue but obviously YMMV

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 16
You're not alone...
the cable rubber deteriorates with time. I think how fast it crumbles depends on the chemistry of your skin-oils, and the ambient conditions they are subject to. Mine lasted a little over 12 months. If you slice open the cable, you will notice the copper wire inside has corroded and turned green-ish.

I'm guessing you have some skin oils and perspiration mixed in there with the green corroded gunk, hence the oozing green pukey stuff.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 16
Mmmmm....yummy!
blink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 16
Dark green liquid? I think I saw something similar to this in Ghost Busters.

But in all seriousness... that is crazy stuff I don't think that's standard at all.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 16
Oh, well, I've tarnished silver jewellery within 2~3 days, so I'm guessing that it's my skin chemistry *sigh*.

I think my warranty's still good, since I got them in December 2005. I have the retailer's order number archived in my email account, but I'm not sure if I can dig up the warranty.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 16
You know, I've read a LOT of forums about the e2c's cable becoming green. It is supposed to be from heat, but who knows?

But it seems to be a problem with that specific model.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, well, I've tarnished silver jewellery within 2~3 days, so I'm guessing that it's my skin chemistry *sigh*.

I think my warranty's still good, since I got them in December 2005. I have the retailer's order number archived in my email account, but I'm not sure if I can dig up the warranty.

just send them in.

they can tell when you got them because the part number is set up like month/year

EX:607 (june 2007)

that's not exact but it's something like that.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Mine has 405 written on it. Would I have to pay for anything besides the shipping if I send them in?

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 16
my nose piece in my glasses have the same problem so i would have to say its skins oil, no idea how that got in though...hopefully i wont have to deal with that on my headphones.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 16
There's some green stain on the wires themselves on mine when I performed an autopsy on them (voided warranty LOL!) I don't think I'll get another one of those again

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Mine has 405 written on it. Would I have to pay for anything besides the shipping if I send them in?

If the warranty is still good then Shure should cover it. If not then you will have to pay some sort of repair fee.

Here's a helpful link:

http://personalaudio.custhelp.com/cg...p?p_faqid=3306

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

If you can find an online reciept for them, like an email the retailer sent you, just print it out, and send in the E2's with a copy of it to Shure's repair center. You wont pay anything but shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back