e2c case cable spool (and other questions)
Dec 28, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thomase

Head-Fier
First question:

I've heard reports that the integrated spool in the e2c case can result in damage to the cord. How do I remove it? It LOOKS like it is removable, but I'm afraid of braking it...

Second question:

I bought the e2c primarily to save my ears at the gym and on flights. I have also purchased the Shure level attenuator in case I find that the in-flight entertainment volume is too high even on the lowest setting. One issue with in-flight entertainment systems is that pilot announcements seem to blast at full volume (or at least, much higher than the movie/tv/music), independent of the volume setting you have selected in the seat. Hopefully, it will be possible to crank up the volume output on the seat, so that the pilot announcement volume is the same relative to the entertainment. Then I'll use the level attenuator to reduce the output to a reasonable volume. However, the idea that a mere level attenuator, with an easily adjustable control, is all that is protecting me from hearing damage makes me nervous. I'd imagine it would be possible for the control to accidentally move if brushed against. Short of using some kind of tape on the thing, are there any other ideas as to how to prevent this? Are there any level attenuators out there featuring some kind of "lock"?

Dec 28, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomase
First question:

I've heard reports that the integrated spool in the e2c case can result in damage to the cord. How do I remove it? It LOOKS like it is removable, but I'm afraid of braking it...

It's doable. I've done it with my E3's case some time ago and I think E2's case is similar. You need some tweezers and nimble fingers; that should do it. Basically, you have to remove everything: the spool and that plastic part with the "Shure" logo outside the case. However, you end up with two small holes on one side of the case. It can be good for ventilation, but if you'd like to get rid of those you can either sew this part or put there something else onto it.

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
tape.

Electrical tape I presume? Is this what you do yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by root
You need some tweezers and nimble fingers; that should do it.

So, the little "knob" on the botton of the case, at the center of the spool looks like it has tabs on it that need to be squeezed in order to remove the attachment. Is this right? Is this where the tweezers come into play? Will it be possible to reassemble the case if I want to for some reason?

I have also sent an email out to Shure asking if I can exchange the included case for one of the E5C cases which doesn't have the spool. They both cost the same on Shure's website...

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

So, the little "knob" on the botton of the case, at the center of the spool looks like it has tabs on it that need to be squeezed in order to remove the attachment. Is this right? Is this where the tweezers come into play? Will it be possible to reassemble the case if I want to for some reason?

As far as I remember correctly this is exactly what you have to do. Be gentle, however, if you want to reassemble it, because I think the marks caused by sqeezing the tabs are inevitable. I don't have it with me now, so I can't tell for sure whether all the stuff could be put back together.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

First question:

Get a pair of regular or needle-nose pliers and latch onto one of the tabs. Just start bending back and forth and it should break off. Now do the same for the remaining tab. The Shure logo disc becomes detached from the casing, but you just need to superglue it back on. There is at least one thread with pictures of this mod, I believe.

Quote:

Are there any level attenuators out there featuring some kind of "lock"?

A EU attenuator?
smily_headphones1.gif
Just kidding

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 8
I emailed Shure, telling them of my concern about bending the wires around the spool. They are sending me a non-spooled case at no charge.

I suppose avoiding the risk of having to send a replacement when and if they do break is worth it.

Dec 28, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 8
That's nice of them. You've found yourself the best solution for the problem.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back