E2 Ultra Flex Sleeve Dissapointment
Apr 8, 2005 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my assorted pack of the three different sizes. The larges I could not get to stay in my ears. The mediums I had to push in pretty hard to keep them in (I even moistened them very slightly). I knew I had a good seal because they "popped" when I took them out. I think the smalls actually fit me the best, though.

My opinion here....While better than the hard clear tips they are still not nearly as comfortable as the foamies nor is the sound as good..it's somewhat recessed. Even with a perfect seal with the flex sleeves the sound seems recessed a bit. To prove this I put a foamie back onto one side and left the flex sleeve on the other side and sure enough, I would guess it is close to a 60/40 split on the amount of volume coming through including bass. Try it for yourself. The reason for this I suspect is that the foamies allow the E2 to pertrude into your ear 1-2mm's farther than the flex sleeves do. I can't see any other explanation for it. So it is kind of amazing that even though you are inserting the E2 farther into your ear canal it is still more comfortable than the flex sleeve.

So while the foamies look hideous and get dirty quite easily, from a sound and comfort standpoint, nothing is better. I wish Shure made the foamies in a more unobtrusive charcoal grey color instead of earwax-orange color. Yuck!

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Sorry to hear about your experience with the new tips. I just received mine today from Shure and I find them (large size) extremely comfortable and easy to insert. I had given up using the E2c because of the discomfort and difficulty of insertion of the clear silicon tips, and I hate to use foamies because they get dirty very fast and they don't last very long. The seal is great for me with the ultra soft flex tips. Although I haven't done an A/B sound comparison, but I'm so happy with the vastly improved comfort and fit factor, that I'm willing to give up a bit of the SQ. I've had them in now for about an hour, and, except for the sound,I don't even know they're there. While the E2c doesn't have the details and clarity of my Etys (4 & 6), it has a nice warm sound that does wonders with poorly recorded or low bitrate material.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I just got mine a couple of days ago and I prefer them to the clear silicone. The medium soft sleeves are slightly smaller than the medium clear ones, which ended up making them about perfect for me. Much more comfortable and the sound is similar to me. I can't get good comparisons doing one ear with one style and one with the other. In my experience the L/R need to work together to properly display either's characteristics.

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree with joelongwood...After a while you forget they're there, and they are so easy to insert once you've had your e2c's for about a week or so.

I think SQ improves over the foamies for me, probably because i get a better see...but all in all the Soft flex sleeves are a godsend to me.

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 7
If the ultra-flex sleeves are the same ones used on the e3c's (same material, rather - gray color), then I would suggest persevering with them for a little while.

I think the sleeves absorb the natural oils from your body and get much softer and pliable. They fit into your ears and don't come out - it's great
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 7
How is the bass vs. foamies? More or less? I'm hoping for a bit less
tongue.gif
Being used to the amount of bass I get with my speakers and HD555, the E2C is definitely excessive (although it is beneficial while biking, overcomes the rumble).

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
How is the bass vs. foamies? More or less? I'm hoping for a bit less
tongue.gif
Being used to the amount of bass I get with my speakers and HD555, the E2C is definitely excessive (although it is beneficial while biking, overcomes the rumble).

slightly less than the foamies, as with the isolation, ime. comfort made up for it though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back