e2 a good way to start?
Jun 10, 2005 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to the idea of spending a good amount on headphones and after some research I'm wondering if the e2 buds would be a good way to start. My key requirements (besides sound) are isolation and comfort, for now. I'm not married to the idea of ear buds but I don't over the head headphones for this purchase. My primary use would be at work. The main reason I play music at work is to block outside noise so the isolation aspect appeals to me. I also don't like to play music very loud for fear of damaging my ears (I can still hear my Mom warning me).

The two things I've read on the e2's are they are comfortable and good at isolation so I think it would be a good first purchase. The price is low (around $65) so it's not a huge commitment. Any other good low priced options that maybe I'm missing? I think I'd consider my first purchase a success if the sound was noticeably better than a stock ear bud, the price was low, and it was comfortable.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 22
The E2cs would be a great place to start. For some poeple they are kind of un comfortable, but people's ears differ. Isolation on these is really great. I would also look into these other cheaper choices.

ex71 ex51
md33

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 22
Since it's only for office use, I suspect your environment will be relatively quiet? If this is so, I would recommend looking into semi-canalphones like the above mentioned. My personal recommendation would once again have to be the Panasonic RP-HJE50. e2c isolate extremely well, but taking them off and putting them on repeatedly becomes a hassle. The cord is also pretty thick, and has to go above and behind the ears. Semi-canalphones are also way more comfortable.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 22
Yeah thats a great start. I found the OEM tips hard and uncomfortable for sessions over an hour, foamies are great IMHO, but a little hastle getting them put in, and they made my ears itchy. The soft slieves are perfect for me.

Try and listen to the sony EX before buying. IMHO their mids are severely recessed and conjested. It may not bother you though.

Im going to recommend the KSC75 earclips. Its an incredible bargain at $20 shipped, and sound huge amped or straight out of a hifi receiver. Yes they are open, but IMHO teamed with an e2c you have an extremely versatile combo... heck as long as no one is around you go ahead and turn it up.

hope this helps.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 22
I was kind of in your place just a couple of days ago. I ended up going for Sennheiser HD 201, bc I wanted that style (type of fit) and affordabilty. I was not really looking for canal phones, however I came across a really good deal on some E2's that I could not pass up. I would have never thought about buying them, that is until I found head-fi. It's true about that "sorry... wallet" thing they say around here. Anyways, some people mention the comfort of the E2's, and I just wanted to add to that. These were my first canal's and it took me about a day to get used to them. Now I find them to be comfortable, not really comfortable, but usually not noticeable which I think means comfortable. I do not think they are that hard to put in. Relative to earbuds and semi canals they are not as easy to put in, but I do not see this as a negative unless your situation in your office requires you to be taking them out alot. They probably only takes like 5 more seconds per ear to get them in, but that is why I have the HD 201, bc they are easier to take on and off. I like using the foamies, bc I think they give a better seal and provide a more softer feel.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know there was a canal and a semi-canal option (shows my knowledge level). I think I have a chance of finding a Sony semi-canal at a local store so maybe I will look into one of them. Part of the problem with headphones in general is that it's hard to find a place to demo them. I guess they don't sell enough to justify setting up a demo location in most stores.

FWIW, my office is quiet, which is part of the problem. When someone talks, you can hear it a few aisles down. All it takes is one loud talker to really distract you. The more I think about it, I don't enjoy cutting myself off entirely as I do like to know if someone is standing behind me. So perhaps a total isolation solution isn't a good idea.

The sad part is that comfort will just have to be a hit or miss. I'm not sure the non foam semi canal will work for me but maybe it will. I have never tried foam so I thought the e2 would work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MalemuteKid
Yeah, I can't hear people when they walk up behind me at work with the E2's in. I've jumped out of my seat a couple of times.

x2... they isolate too well at times. But thats when I reach for the KSC75.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know there was a canal and a semi-canal option (shows my knowledge level). I think I have a chance of finding a Sony semi-canal at a local store so maybe I will look into one of them. Part of the problem with headphones in general is that it's hard to find a place to demo them. I guess they don't sell enough to justify setting up a demo location in most stores.

FWIW, my office is quiet, which is part of the problem. When someone talks, you can hear it a few aisles down. All it takes is one loud talker to really distract you. The more I think about it, I don't enjoy cutting myself off entirely as I do like to know if someone is standing behind me. So perhaps a total isolation solution isn't a good idea.

The sad part is that comfort will just have to be a hit or miss. I'm not sure the non foam semi canal will work for me but maybe it will. I have never tried foam so I thought the e2 would work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Hi pretzelb,

Quiet office = great news. You will definitely be able to find the Sony EX51 or EX71 at a local electronics store. Best Buy, Circuit City etc. I call them "semi-canalphones" because they don't reach very deep into the ear at all. Both come with up to 3 sizes of detachable silicone buds, so size and comfort should be easy to adjust to. Buy em in store, and you can return them just as easily. Recommend EX51 (20-30$) for the value - about if not the same sound as EX71. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb

Thanks for the ideas.

I have the e2c and the ex51. The e2c is just a better headphone, IMO. It sounds much better and is much sturdier. I don't even use the ex51 any more.

As far as comfort, I'm not bothered at all by canalphones, so neither has ever been uncomfortable me, though it is true that the e2c does go further into your ear canal.

The other thing I noticed was that you said your office is so quiet that you can hear other people talking a few aisles down. If that's true, be aware that any open or semi open headphones will be audible to those around you.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I have the e2c and the ex51. The e2c is just a better headphone, IMO. It sounds much better and is much sturdier. I don't even use the ex51 any more.

As far as comfort, I'm not bothered at all by canalphones, so neither has ever been uncomfortable me, though it is true that the e2c does go further into your ear canal.

The other thing I noticed was that you said your office is so quiet that you can hear other people talking a few aisles down. If that's true, be aware that any open or semi open headphones will be audible to those around you.

I second this, although I have the ex71s instead. IMO, the e2c's are in a whole 'nother league.

Considering the e2s were the first "audiophile" headphone I ever bought, yea, I think they're a great place to start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 22
The E2 was my start into both the world of canalphones and "audiophile" phones. They are a breeze to put on and are comfortable, with good isolation and good sound. I couldn't be happier.

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 22
IMO,

the e2s are NOT comfortable at all, the foamies are thick and feel like sand paper, my ear canal becomes raw after a while.

they isolate well, but the sound quality IMO is not great definately not worth the retail price.

Ive read the that e3s have smaller diameter foamies and are more comfortable because of it.

but the e2s have some major draw backs in its frequncy response and dynamics. for something that retails for $100 they do not sound like $100 earphones.

the top frequency range is dramatically recessed and most of it is non existant. the buds themselves are large and the foamies are fat and require your canals to get used to the pain and uncomfort, eventually you grow accustomed to the the inserting action, but they darn thing feel like theyre stretching out your ear canals.

smaller sizes fit better but allow inadequate seal thus making the sound anemic.

I do not use the silicon plugs because they create a vacuum in your ear resulting in a "pop" ear time you pull them out.

they got isolation down, but imo the sound is far inferior to the admission price.

I would look elsewhere personally and skip the e2's

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
IMO,

the e2s are NOT comfortable at all, the foamies are thick and feel like sand paper, my ear canal becomes raw after a while.

they isolate well, but the sound quality IMO is not great definately not worth the retail price.

Ive read the that e3s have smaller diameter foamies and are more comfortable because of it.

but the e2s have some major draw backs in its frequncy response and dynamics. for something that retails for $100 they do not sound like $100 earphones.

the top frequency range is dramatically recessed and most of it is non existant. the buds themselves are large and the foamies are fat and require your canals to get used to the pain and uncomfort, eventually you grow accustomed to the the inserting action, but they darn thing feel like theyre stretching out your ear canals.

smaller sizes fit better but allow inadequate seal thus making the sound anemic.

I do not use the silicon plugs because they create a vacuum in your ear resulting in a "pop" ear time you pull them out.

they got isolation down, but imo the sound is far inferior to the admission price.

IMHO they improve noticeably with ~90 hours of intense burn in and amped with a high current amp. out of the box they are awful though.... so with time they become better than the sony EX, IMHO of course

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

The e3 foamie is actually bigger than the e2 one, just the internal diameter is slightly smaller.

Retail price is irrelevant - it is the price they can be bought for that is important. I'd strongly disagree with your slating of the e2, but could you name a canalphone for under $65 that sounds better than the e2? Note that the OP didn't want to comit too much money for it so suggesting a more expensive phone isn't an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back