E1DA USB DAC's - 9038 ( all ) - Power Dac (PDV2) - HP Toy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

billbishere

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I first saw this little DAC reviewed here with measurements before it was even for sale...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/

The specs on it are insane:
This is conventional USB DAC + balanced Headphone Amp, however, it made from the best for today components and now #9038S the only USB DAC+HPA with 550mW@16ohm, SNR -122db(A), THD .0002%@-3dbfs@32ohm, and 10g weight

According to Amir per the measurements it all checks out. You MUST run it Balanced tho, it only works as a Balanced unit. Outside of that tho this little thing is seems crazy good. I am considering pulling the trigger.

They are for sale on Aliexpress now.

Anyway, just wanted to get this DAC info out as price to performance is crazy good!!

Power Dac V2
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/pdv2

9038S - 2.5mm Balanced - OUT NOW
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038s

9038D - 3.5mm Unbalanced - TBA
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038d

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 124
E1DA also has a website where you can inquire about purchase and you might get it for cheaper than Ali, since you're skipping the retailer.

It's interesting. I'm wondering how it is in real-world use before I go about purchasing one. One of my concerns is how much power it draws and whether it would be good for portable use via smartphone. Or for easy-to-drive IEMs.

I hope people will come in here and share their thoughts.

I'd be especially interested in comparisons between the #9038S and the Dragonfly Cobalt. I like the look and form factor of the Cobalt quite a bit (ok, visually, I find it extremely appealing), but the measurements I've seen dim the appeal of the Cobalt (But then, as long as it sounds good...).

Thanks for starting this thread, @billbishere!

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 124
Yah, I am pretty stoked about the non-balance version they are releasing. The specs on it look great. After more research the balance unit has been for sale direct from the vendor for awhile. They just recently got the aliexpress store up and are coming out with the new product. I will probably get one once I decide on the IEM's I am choosing.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 124
Was really disappointed with iBasso's take on balanced dongle so this caught my eyes. Kinda torn between this or MU2-AMP, I'm confident that the musiland will sound really good but I kinda want a balanced ultra portable unit. The lack of integrated cable is also a major selling point to me, hmm.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 124
Was really disappointed with iBasso's take on balanced dongle so this caught my eyes. Kinda torn between this or MU2-AMP, I'm confident that the musiland will sound really good but I kinda want a balanced ultra portable unit. The lack of integrated cable is also a major selling point to me, hmm.

I think that an integrated cable is the first failing point of a unit. A non replaceable cable may render a unit useless within a short time, simply because it's fragile, got damaged and cannot be replaced.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 124
Hi, can somebody help me. I don't understand how to change the mode.

''To switch between modes you need to interrupt #9038S power during its startup when LED very fast flashing. Then next turn on #9038S will be started in the next mode(1-2-3-1-2-3.. cycling)'

This is from the website. Does it mean just plug and unplug the USB? Thanks

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 124
received_2359043344414134-01.jpeg
A Received mines yesterday. Was pretty bummed that my LGV35 could not power the dac by itself. As you can see I needed to use a powered hub (used a battery bank as the power source). This thing gulps power as I watched the batter level indicator go down (it has a 0-100% counter) between songs.

This dac sounds incredibly clean. Compared to the ibasso DC01, the 9030s has a very clinical and analytical sound. It's very powerful too, able to drive the original hifiman he400. Volume was set to about 75%, any louder and I'm pretty sure that is hearing loss territory. I wasn't able to figure out how to switch between modes. So far I'm pretty impressed what this little thing can do.

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back