E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 30, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,456 of 1,482
hi there, thanks for the detailed review, i got very interested in 9038sg3 after purchasing powerdac 2.1; i used powerdac solely now eventhough i have also shanling ua3 and ibasso dc04, the powerdac sound lovelier in my ear. but the problem is its overheating like warmness off the chart if im not careful enough and not really mobile friendly its power hungry devices; i also bought a cooler radiator fan and powerbank with y split just to counter the issue very happy but still... if im in a move powerdac not really an option. does the tweak app have wet/dry option and bass boost like powerdac hp toy app? like that option i used the most; even if i use uapp exclusive usb setting the bass boost still can be accessed with hp toy app which is amazing! i cannot do this with my ibasso opening hiby uac app always conflicted with uapp volume. for shanling as much it sounds good it doesnt have the bass boost/ wet dry option... the two dongles dont have bass boost and its a lets down; nor do i want to connect them to external amp with bass boost option that would be very clunky and not portable. and when i eq the bass is still anemic; i see the ifi go bar does have bass boost option but its pricey...

so can you help me to check if does the tweak app have wet/dry option and bass boost like powerdac hp toy app? i would be overjoyed if it have and would consider it :)

Jul 1, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #1,457 of 1,482
No wet/dry option, nor bass boost on Tweak app

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,459 of 1,482
Is the E1DA better than the btr5, up4, is it 100? I mean the sound quality
To me without any doubt in terms of power bass and clarity. In terms of versatility there's no comparison. BTR5 has LDAC BT and 3.5 m ...has power buttons skip song etc.
In terms to stay in bed and putting your favourite music E1da is invincible neutral raw power 500mw at 16 omhs (another great in balanced mode is Earmen Sparrow which has a testy texture but @double price or so..
) I am actually selling my as new Btr5 2021 to get a quoodelix (right spelling?
.)

Attachments

• 20230704_204732.jpg
    20230704_204732.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230704_204725.jpg
    20230704_204725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230109_182727.jpg
    20230109_182727.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,460 of 1,482
hi there, thanks for the detailed review, i got very interested in 9038sg3 after purchasing powerdac 2.1; i used powerdac solely now eventhough i have also shanling ua3 and ibasso dc04, the powerdac sound lovelier in my ear. but the problem is its overheating like warmness off the chart if im not careful enough and not really mobile friendly its power hungry devices; i also bought a cooler radiator fan and powerbank with y split just to counter the issue very happy but still... if im in a move powerdac not really an option. does the tweak app have wet/dry option and bass boost like powerdac hp toy app? like that option i used the most; even if i use uapp exclusive usb setting the bass boost still can be accessed with hp toy app which is amazing! i cannot do this with my ibasso opening hiby uac app always conflicted with uapp volume. for shanling as much it sounds good it doesnt have the bass boost/ wet dry option... the two dongles dont have bass boost and its a lets down; nor do i want to connect them to external amp with bass boost option that would be very clunky and not portable. and when i eq the bass is still anemic; i see the ifi go bar does have bass boost option but its pricey...

so can you help me to check if does the tweak app have wet/dry option and bass boost like powerdac hp toy app? i would be overjoyed if it have and would consider it :)
Maybe you should get headphones with better bass? I never have to use bass boost using my Takstar HF 580 planars. Very affordable on AliExpress.

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,461 of 1,482

UAPP has an equalizer if you're still using that.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #1,463 of 1,482
Looking at purchasing a new 9038 model. But there's the 9038SG3 and 9038DSK. Apart from one being balanced and the other not. Is there any advantage in sound quality? Are these the two current models so far? I have the 9038s gen 2 I think. The one that outputs 1w. Crazy power. Is there any point in upgrading? I have no issues with it and most of my eq is used on UAPP.

Is there any other dac/amp for around the same price that performs better?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #1,464 of 1,482
1. Sq is very similar between sg3 and d.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Define "better", but in general no

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #1,465 of 1,482
Looking at purchasing a new 9038 model. But there's the 9038SG3 and 9038DSK. Apart from one being balanced and the other not. Is there any advantage in sound quality? Are these the two current models so far? I have the 9038s gen 2 I think. The one that outputs 1w. Crazy power. Is there any point in upgrading? I have no issues with it and most of my eq is used on UAPP.

Is there any other dac/amp for around the same price that performs better?

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #1,466 of 1,482
Try to get Wavelet app if you want to improve sound overall.Is a great EQ which will work nicely together with Uapp .Yoi can configure your headphones tailor made.Even Better than Tweak 9038 app which does filters and dac clock tweaks ..Give It a try,I don't think you can achieve better sound with another dongle DAC or even a desktop,if you're using iems.E1da9038Ssumusu is great.Earmen Sparrow also in a balanced mode is another fantastic dac although I am not sure if is "better" than the fab E1DA.
You waste money in my modest opinion

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #1,467 of 1,482
Little help?

Think I might have fried my Powerdac 2.1 upon connecting it for the first time. What I did, in order:

Installed the Windows driver from E1da's site

Connected PD via supplied cable to PC, and to unbalanced IEMs using supplied 2.5/3.5mm adapter

Listened for a few seconds - no sound

Later installed HPtoy app on Android phone

Connected PD to phone using an additional USB-C to A adapter to unbalanced IEMs

Opened HPtoy app

Listened - left channel only audible

Checked output settings - was set to unbalanced boost

Have I killed the right channel by connecting it unbalanced before opening the app to configure the output? Tbh the build quality of the output feels a bit sketchy also, and was disconcertingly misaligned out of the box.

Shame - seemed like I might actually be able to use it OTG, having seen it connected.

[edit] False alarm. Little idea why it didn't/does work. Gosh this thing sounds jacked.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,469 of 1,482
I've got a 9038s gen 1 wondering if anyone has compared it to an ibasso dc03 pro/moondrop dawn pro and can say if it's an upgrade or not? I'll be powering IEM's off them using 3.5mm.
I have gen3 and Moondrop Moonriver 2. They sound quite different since they use SABRE and CS DACs. Gen3, while cheaper is still more transparent and more natural (more mid-bassy). Quicker transient. The later has better extensions and better separation and soundstage. For me Gen3 has too rich mid-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back