E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Apr 18, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #663 of 1,483
I have an LG V20.
Do you think a PowerDAC or 9038s would bring improvement to my audio listening sessions?
I’m planning to buy, but I don’t know which cable on aliexpress should I buy to connect these to the LG V20 USBC output. Also split cable to use a power bank external should be nice (even if I have plenty of mah on the lg by using the 10.500mah battery).

thanks a lot!

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #664 of 1,483
I have an LG V20.
Do you think a PowerDAC or 9038s would bring improvement to my audio listening sessions?
I’m planning to buy, but I don’t know which cable on aliexpress should I buy to connect these to the LG V20 USBC output. Also split cable to use a power bank external should be nice (even if I have plenty of mah on the lg by using the 10.500mah battery).

thanks a lot!

if you want/need more power, then yes both will be an improvement over the LG. However, if you mean sound quality, then may be not. I have both the 9038s and PowerDac and love them both. However, I only use the 9038 when I need more power. I think if you have a source that is already transparent, as I expect the V20 is, then the 9038 will likely only give more power. I personally cannot tell the difference between the 9038s and my phone, except for the improvement linked to the increased driving power. The PowerDAC is different because of the DSP app. What I love about it is it's ability to allow you to correct the sound of your headphones to get them to sound exactly how you like. From that perspective, for me, it does improve the sound quality over my phone and everything else I own.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #665 of 1,483
if you want/need more power, then yes both will be an improvement over the LG. However, if you mean sound quality, then may be not. I have both the 9038s and PowerDac and love them both. However, I only use the 9038 when I need more power. I think if you have a source that is already transparent, as I expect the V20 is, then the 9038 will likely only give more power. I personally cannot tell the difference between the 9038s and my phone, except for the improvement linked to the increased driving power. The PowerDAC is different because of the DSP app. What I love about it is it's ability to allow you to correct the sound of your headphones to get them to sound exactly how you like. From that perspective, for me, it does improve the sound quality over my phone and everything else I own.

thats crystal clear explanation.
Basically what the PowerDAC is doing is an EQ right? How does it differs from a parametric eq I can have on Neutron App? Will then be really needed a PowerDAC and its app?

probably I’ll need more power for the planar in goldplanar GL20 or ry4s 300ohm...

Anyone knows if I can power the PowerDac and the 9038s directly from the LG V20 (and its internal 10.500mah battery) or they need by all means the y split cable to an external battery pack?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #666 of 1,483
While everybody are waiting for the release of #9038D, here are some treats - PowerDAC v2 wallpapers for your phones!

PSX_20200418_192550.jpg

PSX_20200418_192630.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #668 of 1,483
Do we get Y split cable which much smaller than stock cable. I don't mind stacking Phone (TypeC) + Powerdac + powerbank on go. But Y split cable is so big, makes it weird.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #669 of 1,483
they are not balanced, and to be honest, I doubt they can be converted to balanced (but I'm not sure here)
Converting T50RP to balanced couldn't be easier.
How anyone who has any experience with headphones (and supposingly knowing how they are build) can make such statement? Converting any headphones to balanced is easy peasy, just need split ground.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #671 of 1,483
I am curious, I have the E1DA 9038s gen 2 and have been wondering how the Dragonfly Cobalt compares. I know the 9038s has better measurements and is more powerful but I have yet to truly read about how they both compare sound wise. Difference in low end? Mids? Treble? Extension? Soundstage? Instrument separation? Tonality? Detail? Clarity? Tightness and speed? I know for sure the E1DA 9038s sounds much better than the Dragonfly Red. But how about the Cobalt? I know one thing for sure though. The build on the Colbalt is eh.......

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #672 of 1,483
Converting T50RP to balanced couldn't be easier.
good to know. I didn't disassembly that fostex. I could be wrong here, but at least in a second version they used 3-pole connector in cup

How anyone who has any experience with headphones (and supposingly knowing how they are build) can make such statement?
ok, I thought that I don't need to write obvious things, but looks like I had to…

I meant "I doubt they can be converted to balanced without internal mod" (corrected initial statement)

some headphones can be converted to balanced ones just by changing cable. for example, Oppo PM-3 uses 4-pole connector in the cup and has separate ground wires to speakers, so yes, they can be easily converted to balanced. just get another cable. headphones with separate cable coming to each cup also need just re-wiring. that what I call "couldn't be easy"
other headphones require much more work, e.g. to make my AKG-702 balanced workshop had to replace the connector and it was much more complicated work. I'm sure that many people won't do it themselves

in general, of course, any headphones can be made balanced, but many models require lots of work for that

Converting any headphones to balanced is easy peasy, just need split ground.
yep, accurately disassemble cup, change socket, chance internal wiring… what could be easy. doin' that doesens time per day

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #673 of 1,483
good to know. I didn't disassembly that fostex. I could be wrong here, but at least in a second version they used 3-pole connector in cup

It is 3 pole connector that needs to be replaced by 4 pole and 4 wires to be soldered. 20 minutes job for anyone who knows how to solder, 10$ in your local electronic repair for all others.

yep, accurately disassemble cup, change socket, chance internal wiring… what could be easy. doin' that doesens time per day

I think you were going into tunnel when writing this, can't udnerstand what you were trying to say :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #674 of 1,483
It is 3 pole connector that needs to be replaced by 4 pole and 4 wires to be soldered. 20 minutes job for anyone who knows how to solder, 10$ in your local electronic repair for all others.

I think you were going into tunnel when writing this, can't udnerstand what you were trying to say :wink:

You're perspective seems to be extremely colored by your own situation.

I've built a few cables and made some easy to solder amplifiers in the past but yet I've never gone down the patj og reviewing headphones, I'm just to scared to do something wrong and destroy something expensive that I like.

Last local repair shop around here (even in the greater area of Oslo, which is the capital over here) that I know of closed at least the years ago. I could probably get it done by someone if I really wanted to but you'd need to add at least an extra zero to that cost estimate of yours...

So yeah, pretty swlf centered answer that's not really helping anyone imo.

Edit: my case is just an example but I'm sure that for the vast majority in here it's more than 20 minutes or $10 to get this done.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #675 of 1,483
You're perspective seems to be extremely colored by your own situation.
(...)

So yeah, pretty swlf centered answer that's not really helping anyone imo.

Dude, just because you scared to open headphones, you are not handy enough or have problems with asking someone for help - it doesnt mean it is not possible as you stated.

The answer is not self centered, I was stating facts - this is very easy mod.

Another fact is you are not helping here neither. So stop the attacks and stupid explanations and just admit you were wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back