E17 question
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #17 of 29
The importance of an amplifiers output impedance is overstated sometimes I feel. It's not the be all and end all of measurements. It's definitely good to have a low one for low impedance headphones, but it should be good in other aspects (clean current, power delivery). Even the quality of the volume knob makes a big difference (relatively) with an amplifier.

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #18 of 29
Could it be said that I made a decent decision for my first amp? I will definately look into the E09 when I get back to the states.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #19 of 29
Hey SGT,
welcome to headfi, I am sorry about your wallet

Yes, you have invested in a good starter amp/dac. I bought E17 like 3 weeks ago, I use K240 MK II. I am no audiophile, but I notice a clear difference of sound quality with E17 connected with Toshiba laptop and Ipod (3G or 2G).

However, I need to warn you about this problem...... http://www.head-fi.org/t/638584/e17-wont-turn-on
It also happened to mine only once. I contacted Fiio directly, they confirmed me that mine does not belong to the faulty batch (based on the number provided on the packing box for identifying the authenticity of E17). They also asked me to test the charging and discharging time of the battery. My E 17 performed quite well.

Do not freak out, quality problems are part of manufacturing! Fiio offers good support and you can replace the unit, if it is faulty one!

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 29
The issue you pointed out doesn't bother me too much. All products have their issues regardless of price, just the nature of the beast.

A little off topic, but where do most people buy their equipment, other than amazon. Online resources would be preferable as Afghanistan isn't a hot spot for legit audio equipment.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 29
I mostly buy from amazon (Germany, Italy or UK). I have had bad experiences with buying in ebay (fake stuff!), so I prefer to stick with amazon.
If you are from the US, you have great choices of online stores(i guess some other experienced members can tell you the exact webpage or store) and you can also browse the http://www.head-fi.org/f/41/for-sale-trade-forums section of this forum, if you look for used gear.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #22 of 29
Yeah im from the states but stationed here in the stan for the moment. I would like to stay away from ebay for the exact reason you mentioned. I like amazon but they seem limited on their brands sometimes. I prefer to buy new also so I can have a reasonable expectation of the condition of the item I am receiving.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #23 of 29
The issue you pointed out doesn't bother me too much. All products have their issues regardless of price, just the nature of the beast.

Just like when the M-16 first came out, it only had a few minor issues.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #25 of 29
Yeah im from the states but stationed here in the stan for the moment. I would like to stay away from ebay for the exact reason you mentioned. I like amazon but they seem limited on their brands sometimes. I prefer to buy new also so I can have a reasonable expectation of the condition of the item I am receiving.

I'm like you and prefer new, and normally buy from Amazon, but I've also picked up a couple of used items here from other Head-Fiers on the for sale/trade forum and the experiences have been really good.  Also in the middle of buying a couple of things directly from the manufacturer (Schiit).  And yeah, I also definitely stay away from ebay for most of this kind of stuff.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #26 of 29
  The Soundmagic M100s?
With 32-Ohm headphones (Soundmagic M100) it's preferred to have a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of 3.2-Ohms or less, and the E09K has an output impedance of 10-Ohms.
The E17's output impedance is around 1-Ohm.
But in all fairness I should say I plug my 32-Ohm AKG K550s into my Essence STX which uses the same headphone amplifier chip (TI 6120) as the E09K and the Essence STX has the 10-Ohm impedance.
My AKG K550 do sound nice plugged into my STX.

indeed the Sound Magic is the HP 100, Kef has the M500 and 

I was referring to the Vmoda M-100

V Moda M 100 is a nice bassy can 

and as for an intro set up, I would stick with an e17 and skip over the combo for it. IF you wanted to for $200 you could get a Schiit Magni and Modi which would be a great upgrade to the E17, although the Modi Magni stack is not portable 

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #27 of 29
Yeah for the moment I just want to stick to setting up a nice portable rig. Something I could reasonably take with me and put in my pocket. I'm sure later on the bug will bite me and I will start looking for a home set up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back