E17 fried by Line-Out adapter?
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SoThisIsSound

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, hope I'm not in the wrong forum! I'm going to pre-emptively accept the futility of this post, but I will post anyway!  Last night I tried to plug in my E17 Line Out adapter into the E17 to listen through speakers, and I put it in the wrong way! Immediately my speakers began to squeal and the E17 display was blank, and then the inevitable smell of burning.  I of course should have been unable to put the adapter in the wrong way but as anyone who owns the E17+adapter will know, this can happen somewhat easily enough. Now believe me I castigated myself for stupidity for quite a while, damning myself for not noticing as I was inserting the adapter, but of course that didn't solve the problem.
Has anyone else had this happen and gotten the E17 back to life, can it be fixed by sending to Fiio, or is this all not worth the hassle and I should just buy a replacement? Seems like this has surely happened to someone else given the design of the adapter but maybe not, maybe I'm the lone fool! 
Anyway thanks for reading guys, thanks in advance for any sincere :)P) advice :D

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey guys, hope I'm not in the wrong forum! I'm going to pre-emptively accept the futility of this post, but I will post anyway!  Last night I tried to plug in my E17 Line Out adapter into the E17 to listen through speakers, and I put it in the wrong way! Immediately my speakers began to squeal and the E17 display was blank, and then the inevitable smell of burning.  I of course should have been unable to put the adapter in the wrong way but as anyone who owns the E17+adapter will know, this can happen somewhat easily enough. Now believe me I castigated myself for stupidity for quite a while, damning myself for not noticing as I was inserting the adapter, but of course that didn't solve the problem.
Has anyone else had this happen and gotten the E17 back to life, can it be fixed by sending to Fiio, or is this all not worth the hassle and I should just buy a replacement? Seems like this has surely happened to someone else given the design of the adapter but maybe not, maybe I'm the lone fool! 
Anyway thanks for reading guys, thanks in advance for any sincere :)P) advice :D

It's never good when electronics give out the magic smoke :p

I would suggest emailing support@fiio.net with your problem but I think your E17 is toast :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey man, cheers for replying! Yeah I assume it's probably not worth having it fixed, even if the main circuitry of the item is fine and it's a small issue to fix, I would imagine the costs involved restoring it to former glory would be better spent just upgrading. Thanks for the post though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back