E12A FiiO AMP WITH AKG K702 & SEINHEISER HD598SE OPEN BACK FULL SIZE HEADPHONES.IS IT WORTH A TRY?
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alexandros a

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys, new to head-fi posts, i am Alexandros from Athens,Greece. 
 I own a Fiio x1 as well as a Fiio x3II daps and recently bought a fiio E12A mont blanc amp due to the fact that for the time being i mostly use IEMS for long listening sessions such as Fiio EX1,RHA 750i,fidue A73 ,DUNU 2000 and dunu2000j / titan 1.the reason of writing down this piece is that i am planning to buy full size headphones in particular AKG K702 with 62 Ohms impedance or Seinheizer HD598SE with 50 Ohms impedance.i choose to buy open back headphones for home listening cause i am convinced of their wider and much more spacious soundstage and both of them can be found in a reasonable price.
Is there anyone of you with any kind of experience using the Fiio E12A with full sized cans even of lower impedance as the two mentioned above?
In adittion to this has anybody ever used Fiio E12A IEM edition with seinheser HD650 or HIFIMAN R400i? planar magnetics headphones?I have read in one or two reviews that HD650 sound really good with E12A on high gain mode, despite the fact of the 300 OHM impedance of the last ones.at last does anyone really knows if E12A trully can drive headphones up to 300 Ohm impedance as it is reccomended fy FiiO? THANKS in advance,alexandros
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hi Guys, new to head-fi posts, i am Alexandros from Athens,Greece. 
 I own a Fiio x1 as well as a Fiio x3II daps and recently bought a fiio E12A mont blanc amp due to the fact that for the time being i mostly use IEMS for long listening sessions such as Fiio EX1,RHA 750i,fidue A73 ,DUNU 2000 and dunu2000j / titan 1.the reason of writing down this piece is that i am planning to buy full size headphones in particular AKG K702 with 62 Ohms impedance or Seinheizer HD598SE with 50 Ohms impedance.i choose to buy open back headphones for home listening cause i am convinced of their wider and much more spacious soundstage and both of them can be found in a reasonable price.
Is there anyone of you with any kind of experience using the Fiio E12A with full sized cans even of lower impedance as the two mentioned above?
In adittion to this has anybody ever used Fiio E12A IEM edition with seinheser HD650 or HIFIMAN R400i? planar magnetics headphones?I have read in one or two reviews that HD650 sound really good with E12A on high gain mode, despite the fact of the 300 OHM impedance of the last ones.at last does anyone really knows if E12A trully can drive headphones up to 300 Ohm impedance as it is reccomended fy FiiO? THANKS in advance,alexandros
L3000.gif

Hey,

Yes, you can use these full size headphones with E12A and it will work very well.
Despite the impedance numbers, HD598 is very easy to drive, similar to most IEMs.
Then HE400i is slightly harder than HD598 but still relatively easy to drive.
HD650 is harder than HE400i because it needs more voltage to sound loud, but being a high impedance headphone it drains very little current from the amplifier and then it's quite an easy load anyway.
The AKG K702 is the hardest load in your list because it needs even more voltage than the 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD650 and being a relatively low impedance headphone it drains significant amount of current from the amplifier.

The E12A will drive them anyway so pick the one that fits your personal preferences best.
HD650 and HE400i are very nice headphones but soundstage size is not one of their strenghts.
HD598 is a nice mid-tier headphone, very easy on the ears and provides expansive soundstage but it's not as refined as the others.
K702 is a soundstage master and it's very precise across the board. Superb headphone that is clearly on the dry side, slightly nasal sounding as well, you've been warned. K702 is like a Porsche GT3, it handles and accelerates very well, but it's not the most versatile or relaxing car.

Hope this helps!

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks a lot man for the kind advice very nice to know that this amp can drive succesfully big cans,do you happen to know about AKG K612PRO 's sound quality?Read that they are neutral across the frequency spectrum with spectacular soundstage and good treble extension,i am looking for a balanced neutral sounding headphone open back design with good instrument separation and wide soundstage,is AKG K612PRO a good choice?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 4
thanks a lot man for the kind advice very nice to know that this amp can drive succesfully big cans,do you happen to know about AKG K612PRO 's sound quality?Read that they are neutral across the frequency spectrum with spectacular soundstage and good treble extension,i am looking for a balanced neutral sounding headphone open back design with good instrument separation and wide soundstage,is AKG K612PRO a good choice?

Well, yes it is.
You can think the K612 as a more musical, less technical version of the K702.
If you can go up to K712 that's probably your best bet, otherwise K612 is a good choice.

For top class recordings they won't match the K702, but they are both more forgiving and easier on the ears (better all rounders)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back