E11k vs E07k? 1st amp purchase
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mobinh

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My first post here. I apologize for the nature of the question but I have gone through head-fi.org and various other forums in the last 2 weeks (including Amazon reviews) but haven't been able to find the exact info I require.

I have a very humble collection of headphones comprising of the ath-m50 and the v-moda m80. I do my primary listening on a Sansa Fuze+ (whose controls I have actually grown to like over the years) I listen to all kinds of music, no particular preference. Dubstep, Electronic, Rock, Classical, Jazz... Whatever catches my fancy.

Now, the sound or I should say, the volume output from my DAP is decent enough on both the headphones. But there are a lot of songs on which the max volume leaves that little itch behind for juuuussst a bit more. So I have gone through the last decade with that itch and now I want to scratch it.

I know headphone amps work, I just don't know how well because I have never owned one. I just bought a m-audio bass traveler a couple weeks ago. It's output is listed as 250MW at 16Ω. It enhances the bass well enough (but muddies the sound) and I guess it boosts the volume by about 6-10% but the itch remains. I want something that will give me power on tap, ear splitting power. On my Fuze+, I normally listen at about 85% volume on my m80's and I guess 95% on my m50's. But I want to be able to drown myself in sound for a few seconds if I feel like it.

Now, there is a refurbished Fiio E07k available at their store for $49.99 and an A3(E11k) new for $59.99. This is just the amount of money I wish to spend on my first amp. I really don't care about the E07k's DAC although it's a nice option.

I guess I have a bit of sensitive hearing, I can discern sounds better than most of the people around me. Same's for music.

For any of you members with a similar setup as mine, which of these two amps would be more powerful and drive my headphones uncomfortably loud if I wanted that? Just raw power wise, which one is more powerful?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 2
E11K has tons of power, more than enough to blow your ears out. Since it is just an amp, make sure to feed it a line out signal if your DAP supports it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back