E11 or e17 or e--????
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

barzman

New Head-Fier
I proudly own a pair of westone 3 iem's. I use them with the fiio e6 amp that came with them,I think they sound amazing but iv read around the internet that i can get an even better boost of quality and bass with the e11's or e'17's? I am a real bass head and I noticed with the e6 even though the bass is greatly improved it becomes slightly distorted if you increase the sound level to much (red light).Is it worth the upgrade to go with one these Amps or some of the other models? I am big on bass but I also appreciate the clearness in my music, so what's the best amp suited for westone 3's? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am willing to upgrade if its worth it. Thanks

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 15
REAL basshead should get the ZO2.3
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 15
The ZO2 is called a personal subwoofer for a reason. It delivers incredible amounts of bass. It is an option. The E17 and E07K would be unadvisable unless you use a computer or select android phones. They have DACs in them, which can only be used with digital output. This is impossible on iPhones, iPods, and other portable devices. In terms of pure amps, I would say FiiO E11, Digizoid ZO2, or C&C BH.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 15
Ok thanks for the info, couple more questions does the zo2 work well with westone 3s? When I'm listening to my music will it still have the same clearness or will it have that distorted bass sound if you understand my meaning lol? I love that deep clear bass which can b delivered with the e6 but like I said it becomes unclear at higher volume levels and becomes distorted

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
I am a real bass head and I noticed with the e6 even though the bass is greatly improved it becomes slightly distorted if you increase the sound level to much (red light).

The red light has nothing to do with volume on the E6. It indicates that you've engaged the EQ1 setting, which makes everything sound muddy.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Well that red light setting adds more bass to my westones but becomes distorted when I turn up the volume, that's why i said is there a better alternative that can really bring out the bass to there fullest in the westone 3's without distorting the sound

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Well that red light setting adds more bass to my westones but becomes distorted when I turn up the volume, that's why i said is there a better alternative that can really bring out the bass to there fullest in the westone 3's without distorting the sound

Yeah, the ZO2 should help if you want to add clean bass.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The ZO2 is called a personal subwoofer for a reason. It delivers incredible amounts of bass. It is an option. The E17 and E07K would be unadvisable unless you use a computer or select android phones. They have DACs in them, which can only be used with digital output. This is impossible on iPhones, iPods, and other portable devices. In terms of pure amps, I would say FiiO E11, Digizoid ZO2, or C&C BH.

1) Hey so I was wondering, I want to use the E17 with an iPhone. I know that the DAC wouldn't work with an iphone but would the amp part of it still work?

2) How does the quality of the amp on the E11 compare to the E17???

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
1) Hey so I was wondering, I want to use the E17 with an iPhone. I know that the DAC wouldn't work with an iphone but would the amp part of it still work?

2) How does the quality of the amp on the E11 compare to the E17???

Hi!

ad 1) yes
ad 2) the E11 is more powerful, depends on which headphones you want to drive with them? Let us know...

The E17 is usually powerful enough for most headphones, especially for mobile use.

Cheers,
K

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Hi!

ad 1) yes
ad 2) the E11 is more powerful, depends on which headphones you want to drive with them? Let us know...

The E17 is usually powerful enough for most headphones, especially for mobile use.

Cheers,
K

Thank you! The E11 is half the price of the E17, and the amp has better quality, so do you think it would be better for me to buy the E11 and buy a separate DAC for less??? and if I can do that, do you recommend any DAC's that aren't very expensive? BTW I'd be using the Audio-Technica WS99 headphones..

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Thank you! The E11 is half the price of the E17, and the amp has better quality, so do you think it would be better for me to buy the E11 and buy a separate DAC for less??? and if I can do that, do you recommend any DAC's that aren't very expensive? BTW I'd be using the Audio-Technica WS99 headphones..

Hi!

Awesome headphones, congrats.

Well, if you want to use it mobile, then I would forget about the DAC, rather get a nice Line out cable from Fiio as well. L1, L3, L9, L10 all would work, from there into E11 and that's it. Cleanest sound possible.

If you are going to have a DAC for your PC/Mac that doesn't cost the world, then I would highly recommend this one (am using it daily and honestly the difference to a $400 plus DAC is very  very small):
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Decoder-PCM2704-Black-Cable/dp/B008YD36J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372581538&sr=8-1&keywords=muse+audio+usb+mini+dac
The Muse audio USB Mini DAC. It uses a TI BurrBrown DAC chip and has clean sound. USB in, Audio out: RCA, 3.5mm for headphones (amped), optical out and spdif out.

OR also highly recommended (but I haven't heard it yet):
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HM-101-Portable-Sound-Card/dp/B0066AHES4/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372581694&sr=1-15&keywords=usb+dac

But this is really just if you use your headphones on a PC/Mac and get rid of any static noise/etc. These are cute little DACs and the are high quality. It's avery good starting point. 

Cheers,
K

EDIT:
3rd choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372582287&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+202
$29

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 15
The hifimediy is a better dac than the ones listed above. And it's in the same price range.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
The hifimediy is a better dac than the ones listed above. And it's in the same price range.

Agreed, the Hifimediy is an excellent choice as well from what I hear. However I would go for the Hifimediy USB DAC 2 which is $59 (and double the price of the ones mentioned). But I guess the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC for $29 is also good.

Anyhow, you can't go wrong with these choices.The USB DAC2 is definitively something I keep an eye on too.

Cheers,
K

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Agreed, the Hifimediy is an excellent choice as well from what I hear. However I would go for the Hifimediy USB DAC 2 which is $59 (and double the price of the ones mentioned). But I guess the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC for $29 is also good.

Anyhow, you can't go wrong with these choices.The USB DAC2 is definitively something I keep an eye on too.

Cheers,
K

Thanks! Just wondering, do any of those dacs support coaxial/optical sources????

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi!

Awesome headphones,

Well, if you want to use it mobile, then I would forget about the DAC, rather get a nice Line out cable from Fiio as well. L1, L3, L9, L10 all would work, from there into E11 and that's it. Cleanest sound possible.

If you are going to have a DAC for your PC/Mac that doesn't cost the world, then I would highly recommend this one (am using it daily and honestly the difference to a $400 plus DAC is very  very small):
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Decoder-PCM2704-Black-Cable/dp/B008YD36J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372581538&sr=8-1&keywords=muse+audio+usb+mini+dac
The Muse audio USB Mini DAC. It uses a TI BurrBrown DAC chip and has clean sound. USB in, Audio out: RCA, 3.5mm for headphones (amped), optical out and spdif out.

OR also highly recommended (but I haven't heard it yet):
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HM-101-Portable-Sound-Card/dp/B0066AHES4/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372581694&sr=1-15&keywords=usb+dac

But this is really just if you use your headphones on a PC/Mac and get rid of any static noise/etc. These are cute little DACs and the are high quality. It's avery good starting point. 

Cheers,
K

EDIT:
3rd choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372582287&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+202
$29

I recently switched phones and bought a galaxy note 2. It uses a micro usb port rather than the 9-pin connection for iphones. So what line outs would u recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back