e10k as a dac
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pjyi

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think of using e10k as standalone dac for amps like CTH. Others have said that I shouldn't be using dac with only 3.5mm line out.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
For most peoples uses, a 3.5mm (1/8") analog connection is just as good as a dual RCA analog connection.
Technically with RCA, there is no shared ground (negative) wire, where as the 3.5mm is a shared return/ground/negative (whatever) wire.
And with the (dual, right and left channel)positive, there is more (maybe very slightly?) signal separation with each channel using it's own RCA jack.
And with RCA, the jack itself is more robust, then a 3.5mm jack/port, from when you keep plugging and un-plugging the connection (professional audio equipment should be robust).
But for every use, by most of the population, a 3.5mm should be good enough.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 4
For most peoples uses, a 3.5mm (1/8") analog connection is just as good as a dual RCA analog connection.
Technically with RCA, there is no shared ground (negative) wire, where as the 3.5mm is a shared return/ground/negative (whatever) wire.
And with the (dual, right and left channel)positive, there is more (maybe very slightly?) signal separation with each channel using it's own RCA jack.
And with RCA, the jack itself is more robust, then a 3.5mm jack/port, from when you keep plugging and un-plugging the connection (professional audio equipment should be robust).
But for every use, by most of the population, a 3.5mm should be good enough.
Thank you! :)
I guess I will keep my e10k and use it as a dac for CTH

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Others have said that I shouldn't be using dac with only 3.5mm line out.

That's not the end all of it. Portable amps use 3.5mm line out but the real problem is the lower line out voltage being fed to a lower sensitivity desktop amp. In the case of the E10K, AFAIK, the 3.5mm line out is a variable output controlled by its volume control, not a fixed voltage line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back