E07K paired with W4/W4R?
Jan 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ksimm033

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried the E07K paired with the Westone W4 or W4R and what are your thoughts? Also would it be wise to get the E11 or something else? I do own the E07K. This will be driven from an HTC EVO and iPhone 4s. Thanks!

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 13
Haven't tried that pairing, but those should do fine with the e07k.  Just be sure to get a lod cable to connect it to your phone to utilize the e07k's dac capabilities.  

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Molly is mistaken-an LOD does not give you a digital output for an external DAC. Your source does not support digital output. On the iPhone, you can use an LOD to bypass the iPhone internal amplifier. This results in a cleaner signal, because you are not double amping the signal. Because you cannot use the DAC portion of the E07K, it would be a better idea to go with a cheaper, standalone amp. The FiiO E11 is a better amp then the E07K, just lacks the DAC portion.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 13
I own the E07K already. Have not used it for a DAC yet, but figure in time it would be helpful and more universal. My main question is, is am I selling myself short? Like with another amp will I get more out of my W4Rs? And wanted to see of anyone has the same setup and their thoughts.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes, another, better, amp, will help you get more out of those IEMs. IEMs amps aren't as big of deal, because you don't need a lot of power to drive them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 13
You could try the upcoming E12 as an upgrade, but honestly, they don't need all that juice. The E11 sounds fine enough with the W4, not much room for improvement. These are IEMs we're talking about after all. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 13
True and thanks for the reply. Being on these forums though, its hard not to make it a mission to get every single ounce of sound quality possible out of what you got. Hard not think or question if your missing out. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what about the E6? Should I be looking at an upgrade to use between my W4R and iPod Nano combo or do you guys also feel there isn't much room for improvement in this scenario?

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what about the E6? Should I be looking at an upgrade to use between my W4R and iPod Nano combo or do you guys also feel there isn't much room for improvement in this scenario?

It might help. All amps have floor noise, which means there is white noise. You must balance the white noise added with the sound quality gained. Even with an LOD, it would probably hurt more than it helps, with such a cheap amp and IEMs, which are sensitive-meaning, they don't really need the extra power from an amp, and the white noise will be more present.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I am sorry if I wasnt clear, I am using an E6 (via LOD). Is this as good as it gets or getting a better amp could improve characteristics like soundstage and such?

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I am sorry if I wasnt clear, I am using an E6 (via LOD). Is this as good as it gets or getting a better amp could improve characteristics like soundstage and such?

An E11 might make it better. See if you can audition one, before you buy.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I use my W4Rs with a FiiO E-17 (analogue aux input) driven from my Toshiba TG01 WM6.5 OS Phone.
Also at times with the E-17 docked in the complementary E09-K destop amp/dock. In this case driven via a computer.

Although different FiiO models, I understand the analogue amp in the E-17 is very similar to that in eg. the E-11.

Hope that helps :)

Regards,

Kevin 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back