E-MU Teak vs Focal Elex?
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kkugel

Member of the Trade: IEM Maker
I've gotten both recommended but can't decide, not enough info online between these. I had the Elears and disliked the (for me) shouty mids and highs. How do they compare in your eyes and which one do you like better? I'm looking for strong bass and very high detail resolution, preferably V-Shaped.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Clears have less strong bass than the Elears but are more relaxed and very pleasant to listen to - Elears gave me a literal headache when listening to them. The Clears will have better resolution than the E-MU Teaks, but the Teaks will have stronger low end presence (even stronger than the Elears) and a warmer sound. Clears are pretty much neutral and cleanly tuned and very similar to STAX L700/L300 Limited in how they sound tonally, though the STAX are more punchy and have a larger sense of space where the Clears have a smoother sound and more intimate presentation. I actually preferred the bass on my STAX over the Clears, but they were modded and driven with a serious dedicated system which was warmer and more powerful than available STAX gear.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I've been pondering this as well. For what it's worth, you can listen to a demo of the Teaks via Zeos Pantera channel. You can also listen to a demo via Oluv's gadgets channel. From what I've heard, read, and watched, the Elex has a pretty crazy dynamic range. It's a pretty forward sounding headphone. The Teaks are warmer with more pronounced bass, and a slightly scooped midrange. I've decided on the Teaks myself. Just have to save up the funds for it. On a side note, I just purchased the Ibasso SR2, semi open and it's quite wonderful. Might be worth looking into as a 3rd option.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Youtubers - Elex sound demo for both parties. Not 100% accurate by any means, but it will definitely give you an idea as to what they sound like, and how they differ. Use the most neutral headphones you have to listen with.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Caution on Zeos' Focal demos... he used an amp with insane output impedance level (164ohms) so none of the Focals sound like they should. The Clear was not even remotely like it should have been from his description, his view of it was 180 degree from reality... as it's the smoothest, most neutral Focal.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Caution on Zeos' Focal demos... he used an amp with insane output impedance level (164ohms) so none of the Focals sound like they should. The Clear was not even remotely like it should have been from his description, his view of it was 180 degree from reality... as it's the smoothest, most neutral Focal.
Very true, but he should still be able to get a feel for the differences. Especially if he listens to Oluvs demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back