E-MU Setup Guide Beta 1
Dec 5, 2004 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Asmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I've noticed at least one new thread everyday about how to setup the 0404 or 1212m, so I hosted a lil page with some screenshots of my setup, and some helpful links, if anyone has any suggestions for additions etc please post em.

http://members.rogers.com/asmo/index.htm

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 31
Nice idea. A couple of confusing things if I was reading / using this as a beginner.

- ASIO EXE DLL is an option. I'd choose the DLL version. I see you have both installed which is confusing.

- You say you don't use resampling yet you show the resampling page? 192000 needs to be manually typed in. It's also worth to note a new session would need to be made for 44/48, 96, and 192. So going back and forth between them will be strange for some people using other soundcards.

- You have two resamplers. PPHS is not stock is it?

- Resampling is not on slow mode which is high quality. Let's just assume people want the better of the qualities.

- You're using advanced limiter and a Trim pot? Soft limiter actually works to eliminate clipping but it's just better not to use it as I find it messes with quality. It's better just to have volume control and take it down about 2db.

- Your session is way too busy and most people dont need all that. I see you don't have any SENDs on your ASIO strip or Main insert strip. I wonder how you are getting sound and if "S_Reverb" and "Chorus" are activated the way you have it setup
eek.gif
Obvious that's not correct.

- You I/O settings have optical output as ADAT, most people would likely use SPDIF to use external DACs, etc.

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Nice idea. A couple of confusing things if I was reading / using this as a beginner.

- ASIO EXE DLL is an option. I'd choose the DLL version. I see you have both installed which is confusing.

- You say you don't use resampling yet you show the resampling page? 192000 needs to be manually typed in. It's also worth to note a new session would need to be made for 44/48, 96, and 192. So going back and forth between them will be strange for some people using other soundcards.

- You have two resamplers. PPHS is not stock is it?

- Resampling is not on slow mode which is high quality. Let's just assume people want the better of the qualities.

- You're using advanced limiter and a Trim pot? Soft limiter actually works to eliminate clipping but it's just better not to use it as I find it messes with quality. It's better just to have volume control and take it down about 2db.

- Your session is way too busy and most people dont need all that. I see you don't have any SENDs on your ASIO strip or Main insert strip. I wonder how you are getting sound and if "S_Reverb" and "Chorus" are activated the way you have it setup
eek.gif
Obvious that's not correct.

- You I/O settings have optical output as ADAT, most people would likely use SPDIF to use external DACs, etc.

I chose that session, because its the default one, instead of making a new one, it works fine, S_reverb and choror was not enabled. I will make a simplier one, for each setting, good idea.

I just updated it a bit this morning, I disagree slow mode makes no difference :p

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 31
Good idea, but I actually did not have too much trouble with setting up patchmix[once it started]. It's the drivers that are evil!!

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 31
Asmo, thanks so much. Its exactly what I have been looking for. I'm sure that many like me have have stumbled on this almost by accident. I find that I am reluctant to ask questions for fear of looking stupid or being ignored.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I chose that session, because its the default one, instead of making a new one, it works fine, S_reverb and choror was not enabled. I will make a simplier one, for each setting, good idea.

I just updated it a bit this morning, I disagree slow mode makes no difference :p

thanks for the update.

Well nobody should really be using the default one. It's just too crazy looking. You can even upload sessions for somepeople to download and use.

As for slow mode, if you can't hear the difference your setup may not be resolving enough or your ears not trained enough but there is a difference between the various algorithm used. For the sake of quality and it doesn't take that much more CPU usage on modern CPUs, might as well leave slow mode checked.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
thanks for the update.

Well nobody should really be using the default one. It's just too crazy looking. You can even upload sessions for somepeople to download and use.

As for slow mode, if you can't hear the difference your setup may not be resolving enough or your ears not trained enough but there is a difference between the various algorithm used. For the sake of quality and it doesn't take that much more CPU usage on modern CPUs, might as well leave slow mode checked.

Ok, uploaded some minimum setup sessions, and will note the slow mode also.

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I see you don't have any SENDs on your ASIO strip or Main insert strip. I wonder how you are getting sound

Hm, I'm still trying to figure out why you need to insert a SEND in the strips to get sound. I don't have a send, and I get sound just fine.

In fact, even without a send inserted into the strip, if look at the "outputs" button of a strip, you'll see that it's sending the sound to the analog output already, so why is a send necessary?

Patchmix Pic

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 31
Inserting the SEND is not necessary, but it bypasses the mixers, so you will get a "cleaner" signal that way. I'll be honest though, I haven't heard any difference between SEND to analog out, and no send and just setting all settings to default (no effect).

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Hm, I'm still trying to figure out why you need to insert a SEND in the strips to get sound. I don't have a send, and I get sound just fine.

I didn't mean if he got sound at all but which way he was getting it. THere are different ways to get sound with the emu. Using a SEND to your output in the ASIO strip means you'll get the exact signal leaving your ASIO app's output (bit perfect).

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 31
Wish I had this guy 3 days ago, would have saved lots of time and stress

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 31
Theres a bigger difference when I switched to Oehlbach from standard cable than between different resampling modes. I really doubt anyone can hear a difference between slow mode and standard. They aren't that different. Slow mode just gives more cpu usage spikes.

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 31
Thanks for the answers guys!

Also, it's a bit distracting that this picture is so much wider than your others, especially when it's not necessary, as there's just empty space between the strips and the monitor.

Also, you have the ASIO output set to full priority, but not foobar as a whole, which is a bit odd. It could possibly affect those with slower systems, so perhaps change it to full.

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Thanks for the answers guys!

Also, it's a bit distracting that this picture is so much wider than your others, especially when it's not necessary, as there's just empty space between the strips and the monitor.

Also, you have the ASIO output set to full priority, but not foobar as a whole, which is a bit odd. It could possibly affect those with slower systems, so perhaps change it to full.

Those ASIO settings are the defaults, no reason to change them, they SHOULD work for any system. If someone has a slower computer they can adjust them as they see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back