E-MU 404 USB optical output to speakers
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

moo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I recently purchased an E-MU 404 USB to help output quality sound from my laptop to my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers. After toying around with the settings an inputs of the E-MU, I have been unable to output sound to my speakers via the EMU's S/PDIF optical out port. Is what I'm trying to do possible? Or am I doing something wrong?

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Welcome to the club. I haven't found a way to output digital to another DAC. EMU support was inadequate.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi!

If you want to use the digital in/outs of the 0404USB, you need to use the ASIO drivers in your playersoftware. There is no other way to access the digital in/outs.

Cheers
Harald

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 10
The optical out on the 0404 is the 3rd and 4th channels (as it is a 4 channel device) - by default audio plays on channels 1 and 2.

I believe you can get toslink splitters that would let you run both devices in parallel if you wish (unless you are running the 0404 in usb mode).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the DAC in the 5500 control pod superior to the 0404? Why not just use the analog out on the 0404?

They probably want the 5 channel audio for games and the like. I think multichannel audio is just a passing fad, but ymmv
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by synfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

If you want to use the digital in/outs of the 0404USB, you need to use the ASIO drivers in your playersoftware. There is no other way to access the digital in/outs.

Cheers
Harald

Thanks for all your replies, I really do appreciate it. Synfreak, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to when you mention "ASIO drivers in your playersoftware" how would I go about getting these drivers?

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 10
moo are you using optical input and optical output? i'm planning on getting an 0404 also and i was planning on going optical in from my pc to the 0404 and then just connecting headphones and my promedia 2.1 set both with just the 3.5mm connector. would that work fine?

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moo are you using optical input and optical output? i'm planning on getting an 0404 also and i was planning on going optical in from my pc to the 0404 and then just connecting headphones and my promedia 2.1 set both with just the 3.5mm connector. would that work fine?

The 0404 outputs audio fed to the toslink jack at the main outs and headphone out, but only if the "direct monitor" button is set to "spdif".

You may want to turn the level knob for the direct monitor input, too - it defaults to 50%.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your replies, I really do appreciate it. Synfreak, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to when you mention "ASIO drivers in your playersoftware" how would I go about getting these drivers?

Hi!

What software are you using?
I´m only familiar with foobar2000, but I know that there are ASIO-Output Plugins for other players too.

The 0404USB comes with the needed ASIO drivers, you only need a software which is capable of doing ASIO output.

The bad thinG:
If you use foobar, the ASIO settings allways get lost after a restart ...
angry_face.gif

But thats another story ...

Cheers
Harald

Users who are viewing this thread

Back