E-MU 1616m hp amplifier question.
Apr 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Is it a good idea to use the 1616m primarily with headphones? I have tried once 0404 PCI through Etymotic ER4S(100Ohm) heapdhones and AKG 240DF and I was dissapointed because the sound was dry and distant, Audigy 2 sounds much believable than that. I thought ok... the 0404 PCI is not meant for direct headphone use and so it ended.

Now I can get a 1616m for half the price and it has a heaphone jack and a knob so it must have a built in proper amplifier..probably. So... does it?? I know it is a very good sounding audiocard, but I still don't have an external headphone amp. Can I get the 1616m, plug in the Ety ER4S and just enjoy the music, or it will be weak superficial sounding just like 0404 PCI?

EDIT: I forgot to add that the seller also has a E-MU 1820 model for sale. He said the 1820 sounds louder(for whatever reasons), the 1616m however sounds better. The 1820 non "M" has different parts inside(DACs and amplifiers) and it's cheaper. Can it have however a louder amp to use with a headphone? The 1820 is a high quality audiocard nontheless amd I might consider it in case it sounds louder indeed.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 2
What DSP session should I be using best for headphones? Anyone here with 1616m?

Something I want to say about the sound. It drives well the Ety Er4S, but the sound is monitoring like and not fun like say on old D311 Discman. I can hear everything but it's just not very engaging. I'm listening to smooth jazz mainly. I am not dissappointed in thye card... it's uber clean sounding, but I'm thinking I should've bought the Asus Essence STX, but then again it sounds so clean and beautiful and second I got it newlike for a very good price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back