E-MU 1212 vs. 0404 for Transport Only
Sep 28, 2004 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JDUBS

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone

I understand that the 1212 is supposed to be an excellent transport stock (even better when modded). How does the 0404 compare? Its considerably cheaper, and was just wondering how big of a step up it would be compared to my M-Audio Sonica.

Thanks for everyone's input!

-Jim

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 26
How good is your DAC?You might not need it at all with 1212m
cool.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 26
Good point on listing the DAC I expect to use.

Ahhh, if I only knew! I doubt it will be a DAC-1 (so my DAC will NOT likely be "impervious" to jitter). Still doing some research in that area.

I finally got my speakers nailed down, though. Polk Audio RTI-28's with upgraded murphyblaster.com crossovers. I've also got a pair of Yamaha YST-SW205. These things are awesome, and if you can track one (or more) down, I highly recommend them (do a search on audiocircle.com). They go deep and are super fast. A great combination to use with my Panasonic digital amp.
280smile.gif

Thanks!

-Jim

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 26
The builder of my dac just tried the dac with a m-audio audiophile and his jaw hit the floor and shattered. He likes! I'll be trying the dac whenever it's finally completed with the 1212m, so I'm excited. I may consider picking up an audiophile just to see if the 1212m does anything particularly good for the sound in the first place. The only thing is the dac I'm getting built for me (dddac1543) reclocks, so with non reclocking dacs, YMMV. I'm glad that it's only going to cost half that of a dac-1 though.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 26
I too would like to know a definite answer to this question as I've always assumed they would be near identical.

And the $100 would be better off in a DAC no matter what IMO.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 26
I own all of these that you are considering. The stock 1212m and 0404 are the same quality digital out wise in my experience. Both are superior to the stock Sonica.

ooheadsoo, you'll have to lend me that DAC
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 26
interesting, 0404 doesn't have dedicated oscillator for 44.1, it's being generated using some sort of PLL or whatnot.. 1010 has both oscillators, it should be a better digital card..

btw. have anyone measured 0404 @ 44.1kHz? we're maybe in for a surprise
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 26
Strange I know. The differences are sooo small that I can consider it nill or my imagination. I'd rated the difference between interconnects and using power cables greater than the digital output of of the 0404 and 1212m.

Measure what 44.1 in RMAA or what?

Oct 1, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 26
I was watching this post as I had a E-MU 0404 connected to a Benchmark DAC-1, and at the same time waiting for a modded E-MU 1212 to arrive. I had ordered the E-MU 1212 then came into some money so brought the Benchmark. When the E-MU 1212 arrived I was going to sell it on as I was getting the impression off the forum that a cheaper card would sound as good as something worth a lot more money - if used as a transport for a DAC. This post mentions that their would be a difference from one card to the next so I was curious. Well to the point the modded 1212 arrived yesterday with some forum guidance (what a day) I hooked it up. I have to say I noticed a big difference between the 0404 and the modded 1212. The amp, cables and headphones I am using are very revealing so any change would be noticed, but the difference was quite large. Sound seemed a lot more laid back and smother and the sound stage seemed a lot larger I was truly stunned. Maybe my Patchmix set up was better with the 1212, but I think not. Any way now have a E-MU 0404 up for sale.

Cap

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 26
Captain, are you saying there was a difference in digital out between stock 0404 and 1212m with your Benchmark?

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 26
Yes but as mentioned it could be patchmix set, but I don't see how. The differences I am getting are that which are compared to the 0404 and the 1212 if used as source. The 0404 was a lot more up front and more aggressive, while as mentioned before the 1212 is a lot more laid back and has a better sound stage more silky. My set up is now pretty top flight and very sensitive to changes especially the amp. Any way I am convinced enough to keep with the 1212. Remember this is not stock 1212.

Cap

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain
Yes but as mentioned it could be patchmix set, but I don't see how. The differences I am getting are that which are compared to the 0404 and the 1212 if used as source. The 0404 was a lot more up front and more aggressive, while as mentioned before the 1212 is a lot more laid back and has a better sound stage more silky.

I don't think the settings in patchmix affect digital out really. The differences on digital out shouldn't be that great really. What happens when you try other sources with your benchmark?

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What happens when you try other sources with your benchmark?

When you say other sources do you mean another soundcard or transport? Toughs I have not got.

If your saying that Patchmix should not make to much difference, then I feel the difference I am hearing, is because of the different soundcards. As said there was a noticeable difference. I was a bit wary about posting my findings, I thought it could be Patchmix.

Cap

Oct 1, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 26
If your Patchmix is setup to be bit perfect on both cards, then there is no difference information wise to the DAC. And if that's the case then the jitter should be the only difference. I don't believe that difference to be that great as you are describing. Maybe we are just quantifying it differently. A few things to note, Benchmark DAC1 is supposed to be more so immune to jitter (but not totally as I don't believe in totally). Also the PSU1 is not really a great power supply. Using it with the Solo amp, I've had a hard time to tell the differences between various sources. So for you to be able tell such large differences is just out of this world for me in my experience. But like I said, it could just be the way we are quantifying things. Maybe a "3%" change is large to you. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back