E-MU 0404 USB vs. M-Audio MobilePre USB
Jul 3, 2007 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own the M-Audio MobilePre USB:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...USB-focus.html

Everyone in the Computer as Source forum seems to love the E-MU 0404 USB, the reason I originally bought the MobilePre USB is because I do a bit of recording at home.

Anyway I was curious if my playback quality is going to be much of a difference if I upgraded to the E-MU 0404 USB?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
The E-MU has a much newer DAC chip than the M-Audio--the same chip that is used in the Slim Devices Transporter, a $2000 item, and the same DAC that is in favor with Mackie for their current FireWire recording interfaces. It's the current state-of-the-art chip from AKM, and while the rest of the circuitry around the actual chip is important, to me the fact that it is the best from AKM right now indicates that you should find some improvement.

I don't know that there are many musicians here on the forum who would have ever done a direct comparison.

Do you hear any hiss at all in your cans with nothing playing and the volume turned all the way up with your Mobile Pre? The 0404 USB has been dead silent for most users.

Not that I have evaluted them myself, but the mic pres in the 0404 USB should also be a step up from the MobilePre, if that is also a concern for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back