E-MU 0404 USB Problem
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 24
I realize it can eve be used as a stand alone DAC, but as far as the machine works for the USB component to come on and function that particular part of the DAC uses USB power, that is what the guy at E-MU said and I believe him.

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 24
(I hope the OP doesn't mind that I use this thread to comment my problem, but I didn't feel like opening a new one just to ask such a silly question.)

I just received my 0404 and installed it without problems, but right now I have two issues:

1. Every time I boot my laptop I get a message saying something like "Cannot access volume control panel." Not a big deal, because I can adjust the volume in the 0404.

2. I tried to watch a DVD (of Band of Brothers, what a great series
580smile.gif
) and it was very sluggish. What kind of configuration do I need with DVDs? Or do I need different drivers?

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 24
In my system, audio playback with 0404usb becomes extremely slow and bugged when there is ANY heavy optical drive activity
frown.gif
So I can't e.g. listen to CDs on my computer's CD-drive (not that I would ever want to). I'm not sure if there is a fix and whether it's a bug or a feature.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my system, audio playback with 0404usb becomes extremely slow and bugged when there is ANY heavy optical drive activity
frown.gif
So I can't e.g. listen to CDs on my computer's CD-drive (not that I would ever want to). I'm not sure if there is a fix and whether it's a bug or a feature.

Thanks for the answer!

Does anyone care to confirm this? I know I can play CDs all right (I am using foobar), but still haven't found a solution for watching movies. And that's important for me, as I watch movies in my laptop quite frequently.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 24
hmm. never tried watching with a real dvd before... but have mounted images of dvd isos and it worked fine.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #21 of 24
Back to the OP:

Personally I would be shocked if this isn't a USB problem. Regardless of the installation (wether you botched it or not is irrelevant) XP should at the very least see that you have plugged something in, even if it doesn't work. It doesn't sound like you're getting any recognition.

If it is a USB problem, first try a USB device you know works, if it works via your built in ports then you know it's the 0404 at the USB IN. If the device doesn't work then you should suspect the computer.

And as others have noted, make sure your AC is plugged in, don't try running this off of USB power. You may trust the E-MU tech but I sure wouldn't.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 24
yea, i played a dvd on my computer and it lags like no tomorrow... unwatchable.

any fix to this issue?

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #23 of 24
0404 USB random relay clicks, blinks and "Setup unable to detect a supported device"

I bought E-mu 0404 USB 3.5 years ago, it's been OK for a while.

A couple of months ago it started blinking and clicking randomly at startup, for about 10-20 sec, then going to normal operation. I'm running Windows XP SP3, Intel E8400, 4 Gb Ram.

Today it didn't turn on properly, only Power LED was on and the card wasn't displayed in E-mu software. Restaring PC and the card, trying other USB slots gave no effect.

I deleted all Creative Professional software and tried to re-install various driver versions, unsuccessfully. All I get is "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system". A laptop with Win 7 does not let install it, too. Firmware updater does not see the card either. The card itself is randomely blinking with all LEDs and clicking with its relays (is it relays?) every minute. "USB device is not identified" message pops up in XP every 60-90 seconds as well.

I'm really devastated as I can't afford to buy an external card of comparable sound quality right now and still have to finish my project. If anything can be done to the situation - I'd be really grateful to anyone. Some hard reset or anything like that?

PS: Local tech spesialists suggest online that either DC Adapter or Power on-off button may be broken, as it already happened in their practice. They suggest that I better repair the original adapter, as third party adapters, though rated the same voltage and current, may still have some undocumented power surges/drops that will permanently damage the soundcard.

Local 0404 USB users suggest that I shoud somehow reset it to the factory firmware by bressing some "secret" button at power-on.

I'll be grateful for any useful input!

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #24 of 24
  0404 USB random relay clicks, blinks and "Setup unable to detect a supported device"

I bought E-mu 0404 USB 3.5 years ago, it's been OK for a while.

A couple of months ago it started blinking and clicking randomly at startup, for about 10-20 sec, then going to normal operation. I'm running Windows XP SP3, Intel E8400, 4 Gb Ram.

Today it didn't turn on properly, only Power LED was on and the card wasn't displayed in E-mu software. Restaring PC and the card, trying other USB slots gave no effect.

I deleted all Creative Professional software and tried to re-install various driver versions, unsuccessfully. All I get is "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system". A laptop with Win 7 does not let install it, too. Firmware updater does not see the card either. The card itself is randomely blinking with all LEDs and clicking with its relays (is it relays?) every minute. "USB device is not identified" message pops up in XP every 60-90 seconds as well.

I'm really devastated as I can't afford to buy an external card of comparable sound quality right now and still have to finish my project. If anything can be done to the situation - I'd be really grateful to anyone. Some hard reset or anything like that?

PS: Local tech spesialists suggest online that either DC Adapter or Power on-off button may be broken, as it already happened in their practice. They suggest that I better repair the original adapter, as third party adapters, though rated the same voltage and current, may still have some undocumented power surges/drops that will permanently damage the soundcard.

Local 0404 USB users suggest that I shoud somehow reset it to the factory firmware by bressing some "secret" button at power-on.

I'll be grateful for any useful input!

Open up, and check for any bulged capacitor, EMU1820M had a lot of cheap caps dying after some time, I'm not sure about the USB because it doesn't get very hot, but it may be worth the effort..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back