E-mu 0404 USB owners
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

XtremeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am wondering about the outputs on this device, as I want to plug in both my headphones at the front, and my PC speakers at the back, using what looks to be a 1/8th connection.

So first question is whether this 1/8th connection does what it looks like it does. And secondly, whether it can give output to both speakers and headphones at the same time, if there is a "switcher" knob to choose between them, or if the headphone plugged in would cancel the speaker output.

Confusing, but thanks for any help,

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 18
You can plug in to both outputs and the headphone jack and all three will play at the same time. I have the 1/8" jack connected to my computer speakers and the 2, 1/4" jacks connected to my integrated amp that I use as a headphone amp and to drive stats. I rarely use the headphone jack, but I have.

I just turn off the components I'm not listening to. If your PC speakers don't have an on off switch, and you don't have anything plugged into the other output, you could just turn the main output to 0 when you want to use the headphone jack.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 18
There are two line outs at the back - a set of 1/4 jacks (left and right separate) and a 1/8 mini jack which would be great for your speakers. There is no switcher knob, but there are independent volume controls for the HP out and the line out, so you have control that way. Plugging in headphones does not cancel the speaker output.

EDIT - looks like scompton beat me to it!

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Ah ok that's cool, was just afraid it would have some headphone detection thing, and mute my speakers.

I am primarily buying this because of the Midi inputs, so I can connect my Korg M1. But I have also been searching for something to upgrade from my onboard Realtek soundcard. Is the sound quality better would you say? How about compared to Soundblasters?

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 18
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I would also be interested in the response to you last post XtremeD.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks. My major doubts are how it performs with gaming, not in terms of fps but just generally positioning and soundstage.

I might be best getting that HotAudioUSB1, but again I wish there are some reviews on how that performs in other uses :[

/edit

I see you've modded your 0404 USB, how is that?

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. My major doubts are how it performs with gaming, not in terms of fps but just generally positioning and soundstage.

I've had the E-MU for about two months and with my K141 Studios, the positioning is dead on. For example in CS:Source, I can easily hear and pinpoint a hostile walking around a corner or locate a gunfight some distance away. I usually play with bots only, though so I can't say for sure how good the positioning is in more intense online matches.

One more thing. I hope the fps really doesn't matter, 'cause the E-MU really did lower my fps somewhat. But IMHO, the positioning is so much better vs. the integrated Realtek crap that it's worth it, even though this 1,8GHz AMD Turion, ATI X1200 piece of garbage is really having a hard time running CS:S even with the Realtek.
angry_face.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Dec 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 18
Damn you, XtremeD. I was already disappointed for not getting a desktop gaming PC for Christmas, but you just made me feel many times worse.
angry_face.gif
biggrin.gif

That Forte sure seems like something to look forward to.

Well, I'll just have to get a reasonably well paid summer job next year.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 18
Mm I know how you feel. I hadn't planned on spending £130 on a soundcard but I can't seem to resist it now. PCI-express1 is the only slot I have left available, and although the Asus Essence STX sounds cool, I hate the company with a passion, and being forced to buy a RCA adapter isn't what I had planned.

After this purchase, of course my next will be some Moon Audio Blue Dragons
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 18
^
Hate the company? What's up with that? I'm using an Asus laptop right now and I've always been happy with their products and from what I've read on computer (especially overclocking) forums, all their products seem to be extremely reliable. Is trere something about their business practises I don't know or what?

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 18
Just a long experience of graphics cards and motherboards which have failed. Support was non-existant on the SP3 incompatability, they literally told me it was "not their problem".

Also, in regards to business practice, just read up on the ASUS vs Gigabyte issue earlier this year.

But anyway, they don't support full EAX 5.0, unlike their claims, which is why I'll be in favour of the X-FI, if it can live up to the high-quality hype.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 18
^

Wow, failed Asus hardware? What the...?
confused_face(1).gif
From what I've read on the Net, Asus mobos are the definition of reliability... Sure, I'd get my graphics card much rather from eg. Sapphire, but this was the first time I see someone mentioning a non-OC'd Asus board that failed. Looking at people's experiences of Asus mobos(as well as my own with the family desktop PC amd my laptop), they're usually just what Asus' slogan says: rock solid. Haven't heard about them failing before, even when overclocked all the way up to insaine MHz readings most mobos would never reach....

I truly am sorry to hear about your experiences with Asus products. Asus is a company I really wanted to trust and like. As for the Asus vs. Gigabyte thing, a quick Google search didn't come up with much info. Apparently Gigabyte accused Asus of misleading marketing with the EPU engine. How did that thing end? Was Asus found quilty of misleading marketing or something worse?

I know I probably sound like an Asus fanboy. I must admit I may be one, to a certain extent. But definitely, if I personally encountered, or found out a lot of people encountering, a problem with Asus products or the way they treat their customers, I'd find another mobo for my build. The thing is, no other mobo maker seems to make mobos that OC as high or stable as Asus mobos. Or am I mistaken here?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Yeah pretty much, Asus were a tad zealous on their performance figures:

Gigabyte: Asus Lied & Fooled Customers - Tom's Hardware

But I am a gigabyte fanboy :p so we are sure to conflict. But like you say, you haven't had a problem with ASUS and I have had plenty to last me a lifetime. Different experiences affect our buying behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back