E-MU 0404 USB or iBrasso D2?
Apr 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Legend

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of buying my first DAC with an amp to come at a later date if need be.

I've been recommended the 0404 USB as a nice starter DAC, but the iBrasso D1 and D2 have been thrown out as suggestions as well. I haven't been able to find much with regard to how these DACs stack up against each other so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 16
The 0404 is not too portable whereas you can take the D1 with you. I have a D1; it is fine and versatile. I use the USB/DAC from my computer to my Little Dot MKII, the coax digital with my Squeezebox and the line out from my iAudio X5L all to Sennheiser HD595's.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm also looking at these units and DACs for the first time. How much improvement is there with these DACs over an Audigy 2 ZS? I have AKG K701's hooked up to it. I don't play computer games anymore so I don't need that EAX stuff. Do these things replace the job of the soundcard, or are used in conjunction with it?

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking at these units and DACs for the first time. How much improvement is there with these DACs over an Audigy 2 ZS? I have AKG K701's hooked up to it. I don't play computer games anymore so I don't need that EAX stuff. Do these things replace the job of the soundcard, or are used in conjunction with it?

From what I have heard there is a much improved sound quality/clarity from the DAC.

It does indeed replace the soundcard.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have heard there is a much improved sound quality/clarity from the DAC.

It does indeed replace the soundcard.

I believe that regardless of which DAC you choose you'll see a signifigant upgrade in audio quality over your Audigy.

However, you could use one in conjunction with the other. If gaming is important to you and you wished to retain hardware audio processing for your games, you could use the digital out from your sound card to feed the DAC. This could also be beneficial if you do not wish to use USB for audio.

Now, getting back on topic...

Legend, I would put aside audio quality for a moment as all three of the products you are interested in should deliver nicely there. However, you've got a few radically different designs. The iBasso offerings are highly portable, while the E-Mu is much less so (requiring external power amongst other things). I would stray form the norm for a minute here and shop based upon features first if it were me looking at these three products.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the D2 and have the EMU.

The D2 is a portable AMP/DAC. When using it to drive a pair of HD580, the sound was anemic, losing the perfect HD580 bass.

I prefer the EMU as a home solution utilizing its neutral flat line DAC to feed a Heed Canamp and Original Master. The EMU is more versatile as a DAC.

but 0404 is also an amp . how do these two compare as amp ?

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but 0404 is also an amp . how do these two compare as amp ?

It's main purpose is as a DAC. I wouldn't imagine that using it as a standalone amp would provide much, if any, benefit.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 16
The headphone circuit in the 0404 is decent, but nothing more that that. It is a nice backup to have or a good alternative to buying something like a CMoy.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cMoy really isn't anything special though correct?

I'd be better off with a LDM or a Mini^3 correct?

Yes, yes; sorry if that was not clear. It'll provide more current than a typical headphone jack but won't do it with too much finesse. A "real" dedicated headphone amp would be a much better option. (Though I honestly did not think the LDM was too special - perhaps it was just because I tried it with two very efficient headphones, ER6i and RP-21, but I could not tell much difference from my Revox. The mini^3 is still in my ever growing "to-hear" list, though based upon what I've read it should be preferable)

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes; sorry if that was not clear. It'll provide more current than a typical headphone jack but won't do it with too much finesse. A "real" dedicated headphone amp would be a much better option. (Though I honestly did not think the LDM was too special - perhaps it was just because I tried it with two very efficient headphones, ER6i and RP-21, but I could not tell much difference from my Revox. The mini^3 is still in my ever growing "to-hear" list, though based upon what I've read it should be preferable)

I think I'll couple my E-MU with a mini^3 at some point, but I don't to start putting the cart before the horse. I'll have to burn in the DAC for a bit and then go with the amp. That way I'll be able to tell how well spent my money was.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back