E-MU 0404 USB like a skipping CD?
May 26, 2007 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lipidicman

500+ Head-Fier
Just getting going with this. It is crackling every second or so. I have installed the standard driver and have tried foobar and wmp with WAV and FLAC. All the same! I have tried different USB sockets. I then tried foo_out_asio.dll and it crackled away to silence. Is this a hardware fault? I really wanted to like this product!

I will try it on a different machine.
edit: it is fine on the laptop. So am I looking at updating the motherboard and usb drivers, or maybe the newest E-MU driver (too big for my dial up!) . The desktop on which I am having problems is an Intel P4 with an intel chipset and usb2 (an 82801EB controller)
I still really need some advice! Thanks in advance

May 27, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 19
I think it could be 2 issues:

1. Buffer length. I had a few weird issues when doing multiple things on the computer, like ripping a cd, listening to music and downloading and surfing all at the same time.

2. Sometimes my Foobar 'looses' the driver for these, and I have to point the asio driver to it again, and select asio as the driver again. It is a nuisance, but only takes like 5 seconds.

I run almost all apple lossless in foobar with no problems, nor with the E-mu 0404 usb. So it is in fact compatible with this format at some level.

Hope this helps.

May 27, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 19
Yea, I've heard of other people having this issue over USB but the issue is the hardware on your mb and not the EMU. You can get an add-in PCI USB card for cheap that may solve the issue. I had no problems with my EMU over USB but I use it over SPDI from my X-Fi as I use EMU 0404 as an external DAC and not soundcard. SPDIF has less jitter than USB too. You could go that route too unless you want EMU 0404 as a recording device. You could still use it as an external DAC over SPDIF and sound card by just plugging in the USB when you want to record something but leaqving it hooked up by SPDIF to another soundcard too. Maybe you don't want to go that route but it will solve your issue.

May 29, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks Gatticus. I had read about your use of the 0404usb via an optical link and maybe I now appreciate why. I think that link was posted by me in my search and I found it did not work sadly. On the laptop (not the machine I wanted the 0404 for) it worked fine. However even there the ASIO performance was very sloppy. 5 second delays when starting a file and without ASIO I couldn't get spdif output (for later use of a DAC). The hit on general PC performance was pretty big too. I did not even think the sound was that good. It couldn't match up to my CD63KI which I felt was strange as others have compared it to some of Musical Fidelity's better gear! Maybe I just like the Marantz sound and did not give it enough of a chance.

Now, where can I get a bitperfect cheap PCI soundcard (in the UK!). The 0404 went back on principal so the shop can complain to E-Mu that putting limitations of a product on a piece of paper inside the sealed box of a product is not good enough: on the box 'comprehensive digital input/output' in the box 'SPDIF output is only available with multi track software such as....'

Anyhow I am thinking of splashing out a little more money on a firewire interface and I am off to research the ALESIS io14 and maybe the TASCAM US144 (USB)

May 29, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

where can I get a bitperfect cheap PCI soundcard (in the UK!).

Im not sure about the where part in the UK but the AV-710 flashed to Prodigy firmware is hard to beat for a cheap bitperfect optical out.

May 30, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 19
I don't use optical, I use coaxial. The emu asio driver is bad and causes the delays and high cpu utilization. The asio driver for my X-Fi is good though and has no delays so digital out from X-Fi using X-Fi asio driver to EMU 0404 via coax works really well for me and is the best way to go if you just want the EMU 0404 for headphone use.

May 30, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not sure about the where part in the UK but the AV-710 flashed to Prodigy firmware is hard to beat for a cheap bitperfect optical out.

I get the message. I just cannot seem to find the card!

Does anyone know where I can get a Chaintech AV-710 in the UK?
Cheers!

May 30, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so digital out from X-Fi using X-Fi asio driver to EMU 0404 via coax works really well for me and is the best way to go if you just want the EMU 0404 for headphone use.

OK, you use the 0404 for its headphone amp? I was going USB>>0404USB>>XCANv2 so I would only want the 0404 for its DAC if I use digital out. I might get the chaintech and then my choice of DACs is open again and I can get something a little prettier than the 0404

May 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use optical, I use coaxial. The emu asio driver is bad and causes the delays and high cpu utilization. The asio driver for my X-Fi is good though and has no delays so digital out from X-Fi using X-Fi asio driver to EMU 0404 via coax works really well for me and is the best way to go if you just want the EMU 0404 for headphone use.

I have the same problem.What kind of cable do you use for the conexion?

May 31, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, you use the 0404 for its headphone amp?

DAC and amp. Will add a seperate amp in a month or two to see if it improves it at all.

May 31, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem.What kind of cable do you use for the conexion?

I use a 6ft. Rocketfish coax cable. BestBuy sells this brand too. They are a solid core cable which I read is better than stranded cable for coax.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...26&catid=11348

And a gold plated mono mini to RCA adpater. It must be mono. Hook that to SPDIF coax of soundcard and coax cable to that and other end to SPDIF digital in of EMU0404. Set your sampling rate etc. before turning on the EMU. When you turn on the EMU it will sync to the sampling rate once you switch to coax and main. If you turn on the EMU before you set the sampling rate then I found you have to power cycle toe emu a few times to get it to sync correctly. The above method works first time evertytime for me when I set X-Fi to audio creation mode with bit perfrect output.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...12&catid=11349

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 19
Before I abandon this thread:

Has anyone ever had a PC on which their 0404 USB clicks or is otherwise unreliable (where it works fine on another machine) and then got it to work?
As it is the USB hardware Is it worth trying motherboad or chipset drivers etc.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Clicking most likely means desync, so it's either ASIO driver, USB driver (or motherboard itself), or a hardware problem with the card :frowning2: As you can see, quite a wide range of possibilities. I would start with testing it on another computer, to see if EMU itself is OK. Also, I don't know how you installed it, but you need to follow the exact procedure described in the manual re: order of connecting the card and installing drivers.

EDIT: DUH you already did, sorry. Ideally then, reinstalling Windows, getting the latest motherboard drivers (and BIOS) and a proper install on a clean machine? If that doesn't work, there must be something fundamentally wrong with your mobo (how old is it? It could be not fully compliant with USB spec?)

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 19
It is an 865 chipset with a P4 on it. Not ancient.
A full windows install to get a plug and play USB device to work? ROTFLMAO. I took the nasty piece of plastic back after it ground my laptop (on which it did work) to a halt every time I expected it to play music.

I know lots of you guys love the thing, but I had the expectation that it would work properly, not be choosy about hardware and have hungry drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back