E-MU 0404 Distortion Problems
Aug 30, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest811
any cheapo amp recommendations for my setup that would solve my specific problem well?

Try your DT770's with a receiver that has a headphone jack.

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Try your DT770's with a receiver that has a headphone jack.

We don't have any recievers in our apartment. I hooked them up to my roommate's Logitech 4.1 computer speaker setup and I got a bit more volume...still not loud tho.

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
I have the 1212M. I think the DPS is the same if not close. I found the +4 session that I created for my Foobar setup was a bit "too hot". I find better control overall with the -10 session setting. You might try that.

I can't seem to find where to set the +4 or -10 setting in foobar. Could someone please point the way?

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 21
The EMU cards have TRUE LINE OUT. These are not intended to drive headphones, at all. Period. Ever. Get an amp, even a CMOY is better. You will clip the output of the card.

Also:
  1. Never used +4 and/or balanced output (on EMU 1212m) /w unbalanced consumer equipment (usually you have a 1/4" TS > RCA adapter) unless you are using truly balanced equipment, and also which accepts +4 line level (pro)
  2. Never use the Trim plugin (for music listening) - This is a preamp for Microphones, non-line level devices, etc.
  3. Leave Main Mix at 0 DB
  4. Leave your input levels (Wave L/R or ASIO inputs) at 0dB (for music listening)
  5. Leave the PAN controls at -90 and 90 respectively.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 21
using +4/-10 setting on 1212m/1820m is up to you, if you set -10, there is software volume attenuation taking place, when set at +4, the DAC receives unattenuated data.. using balanced or unbalanced cables doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is if the device you're connecting to it can take the hotter input, most headphone amps will do just fine..

1212m has 75R output impedance on both pos & neg outputs, that's probably a normative impedance for balanced connection and suits the needs for headphones, BUT:

0404 has rather high output impedance of mere 470R and that's simply way high to power any lower impedance loads.. what happens? take your 80R headphones, connect to 470R output and you'r getting nice voltage divider: the output is 2Vrms, but your headphones are seeing just 80 * 2 / (80+470), that's about 0.29Vrms.. wonder why the volume is so low? there is and easy 'fix' for that though.. all you need is to replace two output resistors on the 0404 board for say 50R or even remove them altogether.. just by doing so you're getting headphone amp performance on the level of CMoy, because CMoy is nothing else then common opamp cirquit with low impedance setting resistor on the output.. all you need is to find those two little resistors and put a blob of solder across them..

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
1212m has 75R output impedance on both pos & neg outputs, that's probably a normative impedance for balanced connection and suits the needs for headphones, BUT:

0404 has rather high output impedance of mere 470R and that's simply way high to power any lower impedance loads..

Hmm, my 1212m seems to have 470R resistors right before the analog output(s). Am I missing something? Are those in parallel with something not obvious on the board? Also, what are the 3-pin Q-numbered things right next to the jacks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back